TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of using one of those mustang conversion kits that allow you to change to a electric fan that's run off of coolant tempurature and if the a/c is running... any thoughts?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have one and it is great!

The temp gauge never goes above 1/2 way. Stays below the R in NORM. Here are some pics. I also have a Griffin radiator.

Mike Donley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which alternator do you have there? I've got a 200 amp on the way, was wondering how easy of an install it was, and if you don't mind, how do you install the electric fan?

·
Registered
321 Posts
The alternator is a 3G 130 amp from a '94-'95 Mustang 5.0. See the link below for info.

Alternator Upgrade

It was easy to install, but the hardest part was making the bracket to extend the original 3:00 mount to 12:00. I used the lifting arm from a garage door opener, because it was already curved. I also had to hog out the hole on the bottom of the alternator so the bolt would shift slightly to enter the hole in the engine bracket. Otherwise the bolt has no room to move at all.

The radiator is also easy to install just follow the directions in the link below

Black Magic Fan Instructions

One thing the instructions above don't mention is where to put the sensor for the thermostat. There is a probe attached to the thermostat box on top of the fan. This probe should be inserted into the fins of the radiator as close to the upper inlet neck as possible because this is where the water from the engine enters the radiator. Push it in as far as possible without going through. If you do go through there is a rubber cap to slip over the end of the sensor to keep air from affecting the sensor. The instructions that come with the fan do have this information.

Hope this helps
Mike Donley

·
Registered
489 Posts
The griffin radiator is a good upgrade if you choose the black majic fan, i got tired of mine tonight and stuck one off of a 4.6L mustang and its a hell of a lit better. In the TX heat i could not run the a/c because it would overheat. Lonnie D has also experienced the same thing, if you reall really want to install an elec. cooling fan get the one off of a mark 8 and do it the right way

Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts