TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The odo rolled 150k last week, which got me to thinking about getting ready for another 150k. Other than replacing the obvious (bushings, shocks, replacing fluids...) things, are there any tricky things these Birds ('95 in particular) need done around this time?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
checked your ball joints lately?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
FastBird232 said:
Nope, why?
They fall apart and let the wheel "exit stage left" while you're driving. :beek:

Seriously though, the upper ball joints are probably the #1 failure item on the MN-12 suspension. With the right tools, they really aren't that hard to change. :leftright

I'd say fluids, filters (don't forget the fuel filter), plugs, wires, clean MAF, etc.

These things will last forever if taken care of!!! I'm at 268K and no problems except what was mentioned above. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You have to replace the whole upper control arm, not too bad of a job, there's just not much room to work on the top side. But it's still easier than replacing a seperate balljoint.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
You have to replace the whole upper control arm, not too bad of a job, there's just not much room to work on the top side. But it's still easier than replacing a seperate balljoint.
I'd like to reccomend a few beers while doing this.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I see no reason to replace the upper ball joints until they show some signs of wear, either in the form of play in the socket, or a torn boot seal.

My driver's side one went at the 185,000 ish mark. The passenger side one is still fine. I check everything suspension-wise at each oil change.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that sounds like a pain in the ***. I'll give it a a couple more oil changes, then worry about it. But with all the miles on it, and the time-bomb of an engine, I'm starting to think about another car. Maybe a 96-97 LX V8.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts