·
Super Moderator
12,899 Posts
So sorry for the UPS Driver. Keystone cops just don’t give a sh!t

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Does this sound familiar?

It took over 10 years for them to put the parts back in the 4r70w that they removed for cost savings; then they don't break.
Not even for me, lol.
My mother in law has a 12MY Focus, and she hates it. She's had problems with it since nearly day 1. It took about 3yrs or so, but she took Ford to court over the transmission issue and they ended up paying off her car and refunding her what she already paid. She still has the car though as despite the transmission issue, it's more economical for her to keep that than buying a new car. That's not to say that she wants a Honda or Toyota now as her replacement to her Focus.

She was over last night and I drove her car to the store (she was parked behind me in my driveway) and just about every shift, it would shudder. It's not as bad as some of the stories I've read or heard about, but it's definitely a persistent issue with her particular car.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,837 Posts
The good news is if you can find a Manual they are really solid cars, and ever cheaper because a lowering tide beaches all boats.

Everyone I knew who bought a 2012-2013 called me a crazy person suggesting a standard manual back then, that I was a tech luddite! Who’s laughing now!

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
How many times do you hear about transmission trouble with a manual tranny?

And as a side benefit, they're carjacking proof, lol.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Sucks to be a UPS driver today...

abcnews.go.com

4 killed in shootout following theft of UPS truck in Florida: Police
The driver of the UPS truck was among those killed.

abcnews.go.com
abcnews.go.com

I see they've blurred all the footage now, but as the shootout was happening, the gunman apparently pulled the ups driver across in front of him, as a human shield.
You could see the brown outfitted driver being dragged headfirst down the steps by the shooter, as the driver collapsed under the barrage of gunfire.
That's why there's a huge blurred spot across the whole thing now, on all the video; you could see him get shot multiple times, and die in the video. Blood was pouring off the stairs where he was laying.

You could see a Large number of rounds hitting the truck, the shooter, and the ups driver.
The shooter's gun was across and above the driver; the cops shot the driver at least 10 times, by my count.

There was a huge pool of blood on the pavement, with more draining out of the truck.

CNN carried it live, and unedited.

Kill 'em all, God knows his own, I guess.

Damndest thing I've ever seen; the cops seemed to me to have no interest in the safety of the bystanders, or the driver; they were using the adjacent vehicles as cover, and shooting through them at times.

I was watching the political stuff today, then that hit.

Protecting the innocent was not on the menu today. :(
Holy Shibby!!! Sad this happened. Also, infuriated that it happened the way it happened. It should have turned into a hostage situation where hours later the guy was saved. Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see lawsuits by the families of the deceased victims put up against the involved law enforcement agencies as well as UPS.

Separate but related, would the video be on Live Leak now? Yeah, I'm fuc|<ed in the head like that....

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I saw it on YT; right before I posted, but they seem to be actively suppressing the uncensored video.

I saw it on TV, live, and had to go back to see if I saw what I thought I saw.

The Cops blew those fuckers away; criminals, hostage,and bystanders indiscriminately.
Criminal grabbed the driver, and pulled him down the steps of the truck, as he was pulled forward, he was hit by a barrage of gunfire from the cops, and dropped facefirst on the steps.
He was hit several more times as he lay on the steps, and then it looked like the gunman tried to pull him up as a shield.
Fucked situation, but the Brown Uniform is instantly recognizable, and they didn't try to miss.

I'd bet the bystander killed was on the opposite side of the van, and got rounds that went thru.

From the look of the carnage, it was full auto M-16's.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,649 Posts
Can you say "lawsuit"?

Sickening.

Reactions: Grog6

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but I think that trans gets a bad rap. They had a problem with bad input shaft seals at first, which contaminated the clutches with transmission fluid and caused the shuddering. At first they were just replacing the seals, but they were failing again. Later they came out with an updated seal that doesn’t leak, and replacing that and the clutch assembly at the same time fixed the problem, but the trans already had the reputation for shuddering, and people don’t understand that it isn’t an automatic transmission, and won’t behave the same way, so they complain that it is still shuddering when it reality they are just feeling the direct connection between the engine and wheels that comes with not having a torque converter to isolate the 2. If Ford had used the better seal from the start, and specifically marketed it as an automatically shifted manual transmission, this would be a complete non-issue.
Now if you want to complain about a transmission, the one to rail on is the Jatco CVT used in Nissans and Subaru’s. Pretty much the only Nissans that don’t have the trans replaced under warranty are the ones that get totaled before 50k miles. I have one customer with a 13 Altima that had his trans replaced 3 times under the extended warranty. And the worst part is that’s Nissan hasn’t changed a damn thing about the transmission since like 2011, and is still installing the same piece of garbage in brand new cars.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,837 Posts
I think it’s partly that, but for the number of people who have had work done it’s a fairly valid reason to dislike the car. I think if there’s a specific mechanical dread the majority of low knowledge drivers have it’s transmission failure, everything else is ignorable. For the same reason if Ford marketing sold the transmission as an automatically-shifted manual transmission, they’d freak at the very sight of the word manual and tweet “why ford, did you stop selling automatics???”.

But yeah, CVTs are the worst. Unreliable, awful to drive, awful to hear.

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
A guy I worked with has a Nissan with a CVT; I always got asked about car problems, so dude asks me to listen to it.

I said, "That's metal on metal, and it's bad."

Dude said "will it get worse?"

I said, "No, that's about as bad as it's going to get; it will probably quieten down in a couple of miles."

He knew me well enough to ask, "Call a tow truck, or drive to a dealer?"

I told him to call a truck; he drove it around the parking lot to get a second opinion from the Maintenance guy, that used to do mechanic work, and they broke it in the lot.
:)

That's almost the worst thing Ive heard, the worst being an Explorer just seconds before the piston came thru the side of the block at a redlight.

Mikey, this is one of the best quotes I've heard "Pretty much the only Nissans that don’t have the trans replaced under warranty are the ones that get totaled before 50k miles. "
You just know some idiot out there is happy he found that tranny in a JY, lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
Nope, can’t use a junkyard one. Every CVT is different enough that the computer will go into limp mode if you put in a different transmission without reprogramming it with the parameters specific to that exact transmission, so unless you are going to tow the car from the junkyard to the dealership to have the programming extracted to swap into your car after you swap the trans, any used one is just a paperweight. When you buy a new or rebuilt one, it comes with a CD that has the programming for that particular trans, which has to be loaded with a dealer scan tool.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
One of my friends had to replace the CVT in his Nissan POS .. it would revvv but not really go anywhere like the belt was just slipping.

The mechanic got him for $1500 to "replace the computer module and some other BS about the Throttle sensor" .. then the mechanic took another $6000 to replace the transmission.

I said .. you just spent more than this car is worth.

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
For 7500 bux any of my cars would be a monster, lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,735 Posts
Holy ****! Your friend got ripped off. I’ve only done one of them because the warranty was extended to 120k, and a 130k mile Altima isn’t worth more than $2500 on a good day, but the bill on the one I did came to $4800 all in, including a rebuilt trans and the reprogramming.

Reactions: Grog6

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
I gave 3900 bux for the Red Cougar in 2003, and all it needed was shocks and front rotors. :)

I drove the piss out of it, until the driveshaft took out the tranny rear seal, and the diff. And the rear wheel bearings, lol.

But all that was less than $1000 to fix, and it was a ******* beast until I added the lonnie tune with no 2-3 upshift, and dropped a valve at ~7k.

I gave 4k for the Tbird, and I dropped a tranny in it at what it thought was 127mph, due to MY lack of knowledge about a value file; if it shifts 3-4-3-4-3... 100 time per second, it dies, lol.

Fsck new cars; my cars can't be turned off by the computer, over the air.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Holy ****! Your friend got ripped off. I’ve only done one of them because the warranty was extended to 120k, and a 130k mile Altima isn’t worth more than $2500 on a good day, but the bill on the one I did came to $4800 all in, including a rebuilt trans and the reprogramming.
I want to say it was like a 2004 Nissan Murano. Labor prices and parts tend to be more expensive here also .. this shop probably charges about $120-140/hr. Id say they paid about average - I think the initial $1500 was a mis-diagnosis on the mechanics part because when he brought it to me afterwards and asked about it, I immediately recognized a failed transmission. But they trust this guy because he goes to their church. LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Another reason that people wrap themselves in Religion.

"It not his fault, he had Jesus in his heart."

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Religion. I hate them all equally :).

However, I still respect people's beliefs and won't belittle anyone about their beliefs unless they're trying to shove a book down my throat. ;)

Anyway, my Frontier FiOS ONT box appears to have up and died out of nowhere earlier tonight. They're sending a Frontier tech out toy place on Monday.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 1261 Posts