TCCoA Forums banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Nope, can’t use a junkyard one. Every CVT is different enough that the computer will go into limp mode if you put in a different transmission without reprogramming it with the parameters specific to that exact transmission, so unless you are going to tow the car from the junkyard to the dealership to have the programming extracted to swap into your car after you swap the trans, any used one is just a paperweight. When you buy a new or rebuilt one, it comes with a CD that has the programming for that particular trans, which has to be loaded with a dealer scan tool.
Holy ****, I missed this.

I see why people are trying to get "Right to Repair" laws in place; this is one that you're fucked without the dealer.

Another reason never to buy a Nissan. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
I always abhorred the way they looked anyway. All the more reason for me to hate on them, lol.

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
OK, my mind is completely blown.

Father Mulcahy from MASH was the same guy as Odo from Star Trek Deep Space 9.

Dude died today, at 79yo.
:(

I never realized it was the same actor.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
I always abhorred the way they looked anyway. All the more reason for me to hate on them, lol.
I liked Nissan the best out of the Japanese brands until the 2000s when the Z got ugly and all models followed. 90s Maximas were SHO killers in their day. Then they got beaten with a ugly stick and gained weight with every generation to follow, and got those dumb CVTs mandatory in everything but the Z, such a shame.

·
Administrator
8,010 Posts
OK, my mind is completely blown.

Father Mulcahy from MASH was the same guy as Odo from Star Trek Deep Space 9.

Dude died today, at 79yo.
:(

I never realized it was the same actor.
MASH the movie, William Christopher from the TV show died almost 3 years ago.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Thanks, Joe; I feel better now. (If that's the right word...)

The Obit I read glossed over that; I was amazed that I didn't recognize him.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
My Next Mod!!! I dedicate this to all the noobies out there! It's the best mod since the air silencer delete! (y)

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
That reminds me of the old trick of putting a foot or so of cut off innertube on the end of someone exhaust, and as soon as they gave it some gas, it would thrash around and slap the underside of the car, scaring the **** out of them.

I guess that went away with innertubes, lol.

We filled someones exhaust with a huge roll of firecrackers once, thinking they'd go off in sequence, and make a bunch of noise going down the road.

They all blew at once, blowing the muffler off, and causing us to pay for a new exhaust, lol.
Scared the crap out of dude, tho; if it hadn't been for the huge pile of burnt wrappers, we'd have gotten away with it, lol.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
So, barring any access to my parts collection right now for better pictures, is this the stock shifter for the Gen 2 TR-3650? If not, what does anyone know about it?

I found THIS SHIFTER , PN# M-7210-MGT. Is the shifter I'm linking a better shifter and would it work with the car? Or would I be better off looking at something else like an MGW shifter? Or should I just keep what I have?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
Stock shifter, non-stock knob.

I can’t really speak for the 05+ shifters but MGW is generally considered the best of the best, but I recall that Ian ran into clearance issues with it and the trans tunnel.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Stock shifter, non-stock knob.

I can’t really speak for the 05+ shifters but MGW is generally considered the best of the best, but I recall that Ian ran into clearance issues with it and the trans tunnel.
Yeah, he did mention that fitment issue to me.

Ian also stated that this shifter is a Ford "short throw", whatever that means. It doesn't look anything like the one I linked, but then again, I don't know any better at the moment 🤷 .

Anyway, are there other shifters out there that are better than stock but not top tier performance? I'm a "best bang for your buck" type person and would like to know if there's anything else out there that's better than the stock shifter, is decent quality, has better than stock performance, and goes for a reasonable price. The closer to the $200-ish range, the better. The Ford shifter I linked would be awesome, but $315+ is a bit more than I'd like to spend on a shifter.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
I have the MGW on my 97. It did require some clearancing of the trans tunnel,, but no cutting or anything, just some beating with a hammer. I absolutely love the way it feels, nice short throws, more effort than stock to shift but not too hard, and a very satisfying click into and out of each gear. It is basically impossible to miss a gear with the MGW. Another good option is the Steeda Tri-ax. Those have a good feel with positive stops, but are not quite as short a throw as the MGW, so it feels closer to factory with just more precision. That one you linked looks like a stock one that has been tweaked, definitely way lower quality than either the MGW or Steeda, and is more expensive than both of them, so I would pass on it.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!

Next question, I guess. Would I be looking at specifically "05 - 10 Mustang GT" shifters? The obvious answer to me is "yes", but me being me, I'm overthinking it and the "obvious answer" just doesn't "seem right" to me, lol.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
Yes, 05-10 GT only. They were the only TR3650 applications to use remote shifters, and do not interchange with the 11+ 6 speeds

looking closely, Mike appears to be correct, the Hurst/FRPP one appears to use the same exact stampings even, just with a fancy crackle finish. You’d be about as well off using the shifter you have with urethane bushings in place of the stock rubber ones, which seem to be all the difference other than the shorter throw.

I have the older turret type Tri-Ax on my 04 TR3650 and if the quality of the 05 design is similar you shouldn’t be disappointed, Steeda parts are made entirely from Billet of their own bespoke design. There’s a lot more trans noise transmitted through Steedas than MGWs in the 01-04 trans but that shouldn’t be an issue in the remote layout

·
Super Moderator
9,187 Posts
Well after a 3 week hiatus I finally got my butt in gear and started hanging drywall from bunk #3 last weekend. I've about got the whole thing up at this point - guessing I'll finish with it this weekend, after which I'll be able to count how many more sheets I need to finish (about 1 1/3 bunks). I also got in touch with someone who will tape and sand for 1/6 the estimate the first guy who looked at it gave me. :)

On the other hand, the stupid dishwasher has started acting up, so I guess I need to fix that first. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Yes. Fix that first or else it'll turn into a bigger issue!

Remember this picture? This happened because the 4x4 wood at the end where the panels are screwed into is rotted out. My plan was to replace the 4x4 wood with new after the bathroom was done. I should have done it regardless and now instead of a $100-ish repair, I have a $1,000 repair....

201 - 218 of 218 Posts