TCCoA Forums banner

401 - 420 of 479 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
This, I guess:

Technical Notes: This kit is used for straight axle cars & trucks with 3.250" OD rear pinion bearing. Additional kits are available for vehicles with independent rear suspension.
( from Yukon web site)

Compatible with Models:

Cougar: 1989 - 1997 (Rear)
Mustang: 1999 - 2004 (Rear)
Mustang: 2006 - 2011 (Rear)
Thunderbird: 1989 - 1997 (Rear)

I was looking thru it, and the link I was reading said not for IRS, use the -L kit.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yeah, I've already updated my spreadsheet to get the L kit. But now, more out of curiosity than anything, I'm curious to know where it says that the YK 8.8-A kit is for solid axle. The Yukon page itself doesn't even say it's for solid or IRS axles....

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
From your link, "more details" button:

Technical Notes: This kit is used for straight axle cars & trucks with 3.250" OD rear pinion bearing. Additional kits are available for vehicles with independent rear suspension.

Don't you hate me? :)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Its conditional. Depending on how I feel / responses / timing / my personal experiences.

Yeah, I really could never hate Grog. I may for a moment in time when he tells me something that rubs me the wrong way ( in the most in-appropriate sense of the word), but I can never hold a grudge for ever. I wont let any guilt or inadequacies from people I don't know affect my life in any way what so ever in any form.

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
In other news, the wife decided to have a little fun with trying to get rid of an old bird cage tonight.....

:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
So, who makes the stiffest off the shelf shock for these cars again? Gabrielle? Iirc KYB isnt good at all

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I thought it was KYB. Gabriel and Monroe were a bit softer than the KYB units, is what I've read.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
KYB. Althought that's almost like "What brand spaghetti is the stiffest when fully cooked?"

RwP

·
Registered
463 Posts
I know, they suck. Saving for coilovers. But they will be a better shock than what I currently have on the red car.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I know, they suck. Saving for coilovers. But they will be a better shock than what I currently have on the red car.
Why don't you go for the Bilstein insert mod that some of us here are doing? Everything said and done for that mod is around $420 (shipped). It's far better pricing than SCP's QA1 coilover setup ($1,500 for JUST the fronts!!).

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not those coilovers. Other cars fit.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
What cars? I'm just curious at this point since I have just about everything I need, just need to put it all together.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Lexus SC300 I assume, unless he’s just talking about the spring coilover kit, of which people have figured out how to use Mustang bits and pieces on the stock shock bodies ten years ago
I don't remember hearing about this ... (doesn't mean I haven't!) Any links you can point me to?

RwP

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
I don't remember hearing about this ... (doesn't mean I haven't!) Any links you can point me to?

RwP
The Lexus shocks were discussed in detail somewhere in CD’s suspension build thread right before he found a set of the bilstien inserts that had been on indefinite backorder. I originally found out about them from an Instagram post and Randy looked into them further. The fit is quite ideal for us but their original application was for the rear and spring mounting(or what spring to use) was roughly where the conversation left off. I still think these have potential.

as for Mustang coilovers, I read up on that on SCCoA ages ago and can’t remember the exact thread, but the OP was Mercutio

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Yeah, it was discussed in fair amount of detail until i found out that the Bilstein units were back.

Where I left off at was where the SC300/SC400/MK-IV Supra rear shocks were nearly identical to ours. The big hurdle was getting a way to bring the spring cup lower and the fork at the bottom where it attaches to the LCA ~1/16" wider so it would fit our LCA (or find an alternative mount method).

401 - 420 of 479 Posts