TCCoA Forums banner

421 - 440 of 479 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I need a new computer or laptop..... It's so frustrating to run anything on this old thing. Maybe if I give it win10 it'll help it some. LOL

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
As of the first of the year, Windows 7 isn't supported any more, "supposedly". I know this because I had to get a new PC at work because of it. Old PC took a little while to reboot. Everything fresh, plus Windows 10, the new PC boots up in like 7 seconds!

Al

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
I need a new computer or laptop..... It's so frustrating to run anything on this old thing. Maybe if I give it win10 it'll help it some. LOL

View attachment 37726
Upgrade to 8G or 16G RAM; upgrade to a SSD instead of a spinning platter drive for the OS.

You might be surprised how well it runs.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Also, find out what the last supported processor is; power usage as a function of performance goes up every generation; I'm running unsupported processors in my Dells I use for tuning, but that's not recommended for the unprepared, lol.

8 or 16GB of memory, with a faster, lower power processor is a huge improvement.

An SSD makes a huge difference, just keep it backed up; they're not recoverable after a fail.

My win7 latitude laptop boots in 4 seconds. On win7, of course.
The other one is still XP; as long as you only browse the web on firefox with noscript and uBlock, most bad things don't see it.

But it's not like I use other people's wifi or anything.

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
Upgrade the CPU to a T9900, upgrade to 8GB RAM (if you can) and toss in an SSD. My T601F is equipped as such and is snappy enough for me to use daily at work.... of course, it's not much on games or movies.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was given word that January 20th was supposedly the last supported date. Currently having a new database built at work that will run us into the future. Or old database was 16 bit and absolutely no-one knew what to do with the dinosaur. Had no other solution so were holding on as long as we could. Finally by luck Google search just right and find a company with old employees of the company that created what we had. We had 1 PC left to run this out of nearly 1k we have running. We get our new toy this week. Certainly possible to keep it running but is it worth throwing money into it? You can likely score something new for less than you think.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
The big problem with Win10 is the data telemetry.

Even local search doesn't work without microsoft's cloud.

Here's an interesting post from slashdot that I saw today:

"Serious questions" you don't care about (Score:1)

by Anonymous Coward on 06:16 PM February 9th, 2020 (#59708748)

Second, and more worryingly, Microsoft's explanation doesn't add up and it has prompted serious questions to be asked about how the operating system works and what personal data it is sharing.
If you cared about the answer, it's right there for everyone to see.
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement [microsoft.com]

Scroll down to the bold list headings. They don't even "legalese it", it's all plain English.

They collect all your contact related info, everything you search for, the files on your computer and their meta data, for some the entire file contents, all programs you have installed, when you use them and for how long, all websites you visit and for edge all links you click, all of your saved usernames, passwords, and crypto keys, all of your stored credit cards and other online payment credentials, all the identifying info from any device plugged into the computer including phones, every service you subscribe to, all text you type into any program, where you are, and all media you watch.

From this point forward in this post, everything is 100% copy/pasted from Microsoft:

Browse history. Data about the webpages you visit.

Device, connectivity, and configuration data. Data about your device, your device configuration, and nearby networks. For example, data about the operating systems and other software installed on your device, including product keys. In addition, IP address, device identifiers (such as the IMEI number for phones), regional and language settings, and information about WLAN access points near your device.

Interests and favorites. Data about your interests and favorites, such as the sports teams you follow, the programming languages you prefer, the stocks you track, or cities you add to track things like weather or traffic. In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favorites can also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.

Content consumption data. Information about media content (e.g., TV, video, music, audio, text books, apps, and games) you access through our products.

Searches and commands. Search queries and commands when you use Microsoft products with search or related productivity functionality.

Voice data. Your voice data, such as the search queries or commands you speak, > which may include background sounds.

Text, inking, and typing data.
Text, inking, and typing data and related information. For example, when we collect inking data, we collect information about the placement of your inking instrument on your device.
Images. Images and related information, such as picture metadata.

Contacts and relationships. Data about your contacts and relationships if you use a product to share information with others, manage contacts, communicate with others, or improve your productivity.

Social data. Information about your relationships and interactions between you, other people, and organizations, such as types of engagement (e.g., likes, dislikes, events, etc.) related to people and organizations.

Location data. Data about your deviceâ(TM)s location, which can be either precise or imprecise.

Content. Content of your files and communications you input, upload, receive, create, and control.

Why does my OS need this data? Short answer: It doesn't.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So, long story short, we're all Fuct. I figured as much years ago when ads started showing up on the side or below that eerily looked like stuff I'd searched. Now it's quite obvious, no chance of coincidence. But I say we're all going down so why not have fun while we can. Besides I don't want to give up my job to go live off the grid. Fossil fuels are just too fun and electricity is addicting.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Look what I started!!

To quickly answer some things about this laptop:

1. IIRC it's CPU is maxed out
2. It has 4GB RAM already
3. It uses DDR2, 8GB max
4. 2*4GB DDR2 isn't cheap
5. It already has an SSD, albeit an older model. Not sure if a new / fresh one will help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
Does the BIOS not support the microcode for the T9900? It's already the 1066 FSB so that opens you up considerably in choices. And yeah, I had to wait for a "deal" on my 2x4GB DDR2 for my FrankenPad build. I managed to get two sticks for $35 a piece. It was lucky too because the T61 is an 800 FSB machine, and with the 1066 FSB mod, reflashing the SPD on the RAM is needed so you don't try and overclock it 33% with the same timings.

A lot of the Win10 telemetry can be turned off, but not all. Many of the same telementry "features" were pushed to Windows 7 users as well as a part of "updates". I actually stopped installing most updates several years back, and the fact that they aren't releasing any new ones doesn't bother me that much. I just make sure to keep Firefox up-to-date, only install software from known/trusted sources, and use common sense everywhere else. Unfortunately in the IT industry it's easy to see that common sense isn't so common anymore!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I looked up support for my Dell Latitude E6400, and apparently, the T9900 is supported!

I might have to go on eBay and see if I could find one for cheap.

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
I signed in to the forum this afternoon and a little "tell us how we're doing" survey popped up. Let me tell you, I ripped VS a new one with regards to their "leadership" of the site since they forced XenForo down our throats! Ignoring our preference of policy, igonring our cries to get the tech articles restored, telling us things can't be done when they clearly can be...

·
Super Moderator
17,053 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn’t say I ripped them but I gave the same criticisms. When they asked what words you’ll describe them I used oblivious and deceptive, and pointed out the seeming lack of proper communication amongst their “team” when they need to relay our requests to whoever the **** actually knows the tech side of things.

·
Super Moderator
9,319 Posts
Yeah pretty much. I remember a question about "how technical is our team" and I simply said "not at all technical". I don't think the guys posting know much of anything about servers, databases, etc...

421 - 440 of 479 Posts