TCCoA Forums banner

841 - 848 of 848 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,468 Posts
call for CA. Sounds like “wink wink, I don’t want to leave a paper trail, we’ll work it out over the phone”

but do you want a custom tune or do you want pro racer? You don’t need one if you get the other, and vice versa.

It’s not as easy as changing a 1 to a 0 in one column in PRP. I never got the manual swap to behave without low speed bucking and a flatlined ignition curve until someone sent me a full MTF copy of a manual Mustang GT database to start from to plug the holes I couldn’t resolve, and it still took some adjustment from there.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
It could mean that. It's fine for me. I have an address in TX I can use if needed ;)

What's the difference between custom and pro racer? I don't know at all right now, obviously. I'll learn that as I get closer to that point in time. Reading through the link you provided, it looks like I'm able to make my own tuning? But then you're saying it's not as easy because of not having a full MTF copy? IDK. I'll find out. It'll just take a little bit of time before I get there.

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
A custom tune means someone else writes a tune based on your car and mods. If you are never going to change anything mechanically about the car once it is done, this is probably the way you'll want to go, as it is both the cheapest and easiest. The pro racer package allows you to make changes to the tune on your own. Even if you aren't going to make any significant changes to the car, having the ability to make small changes on your own will allow you to optimize the tune over time, without having to pay a tuning shop to spend many hours on the dyno doing it. Also with the pro racer package, you can adjust the tune for any future changes. Other advantages include being able to switch between multiple different tune files (one for performance, one for fuel economy, one for passing smog, even one that won't let the car run at all, which you can use as an anti-theft device). The downside of the pro racer package is that it is more expensive (I think it was like $1000 last time I checked), and there is a steep learning curve associated with tuning. Also keep in mind, you can get a pro racer package, along with a base tune, so it isn't like you will have to do everything yourself, you can start with their base tune and make small adjustments until you dial it in. One piece of advice I have with that though, is only change one thing at a time, and save the previous file until you know everything is working properly, this way if something doesn't respond how you wanted or thought it would, you can easily just revert back to the last known good file.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
LaSota's website puts the 'get started tuning' manual and the PRP at $419. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,651 Posts
Plus the xcal is $820 though, and you need that to write the tunes to the computer.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,517 Posts
Yeah... CDs said he got an XCal2 though already, so it should be a little easier for him to swallow. :)

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,468 Posts
That sounds better, but given the EPA hammer that came down on SCT(derivesystems) it wouldn’t have actually surprised me if they upped the cost of entry to keep out the riff raff (like me😇). Mine didn’t come with any manual but I didn’t buy it through Don Lasota, I ended up buying engine management: advanced tuning. It’s not specifically catered to SCT but it’s an excellent read in understanding how to interpret datalogs and tune using the data.

Reading through the link you provided, it looks like I'm able to make my own tuning? But then you're saying it's not as easy because of not having a full MTF copy? IDK. I'll find out. It'll just take a little bit of time before I get there.
What you get with pro racer is access to the stock database for your PCM’s catch code, it should be identical to the original program stored in it, so you’re not really starting from scratch per say. The problem is there’s more to an auto to manual tune than just changing the number “trans type” column. I went through quite a few sections chipping away at drivability problems before I loaded a whole copy of the Mustang database copied from somebody else’s pro racer database and managed to fully resolve it building my setup off of it. I do think I figured out what I wasn’t getting right in the original MBE3 database from comparing files, but Don and most other professional tuners would know how to get it right from experience.

But unless you go wild with an uncommon engine build or just want to fiddle with things yourself(which is my reason) there’s really not any need to have Pro Racer over a custom tune. Most custom tunes can include 87 and 93 octane tunes per request, and on a mild setup like a PI cam/intake 2V the tuners will have it down to a science, and work with you to get out any bugs there may be.

841 - 848 of 848 Posts