TCCoA Forums banner

961 - 980 of 1029 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Lunch? Lol I've got dinner on the stove. I'm making a modified Julia Child beef bourguignon recipe my brother shared with me. It's been simmering for about an hour and a half and the house is starting to smell pretty tasty. :)
If you have one, an instapot does this dish well. I was a skeptic but for certain dishes, instapots work well because you get that deep, simmered on the stove all day taste in a quarter of the time.
-g

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I pick up my subframe bushings today. Pictures will come for sure :)

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,575 Posts
Yeah, the recipe had an iteration for using one. Unfortunately, ours is a "mini" and doesn't have nearly enough capacity for something like this.

In other news, some goodies arrived last night. A few members might recognize where these came from...

·
Super Moderator
12,674 Posts
Nice! Those look longer than the mid-length Kooks. Are those long tubes for a 4.6?? Those are unobtanium! I don't remember who made them. You''ll have to tell me.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
For those of you with more willingness to put $$$ into custom headers - perhaps from your recent stock market paper gains :), here are two options.
I thought this might be fun to build 180 degree headers.

$500 for pre-made DIY kit, $2200 for mild steel headers ($500 given in credit) = $2200 total

A few more low buck options (rod plus round wood coins = easiest, use a 3d printer to make sections = fancier DIY)

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,575 Posts
Nice! Those look longer than the mid-length Kooks. Are those long tubes for a 4.6?? Those are unobtanium! I don't remember who made them. You''ll have to tell me.
Someone kneeled before him to get them🤔
Yeah, pretty much lol. Those are the MAC 96-04 Mustang 2v headers that guitar maestro modified a number of years ago to be his design template for the from-scratch longtubes he never got around to producing.

I want to find someone who can add an EGR bung to these, then modify the front section of my exhaust to bolt up to them. Possibly this winter, but we'll see. I just got back from the shop to have the Mark VIII looked at to get the rockers replaced/treated before it rusts any worse, which will be another $3k on top of the $15 or $20k we need to save for a new ride for the wife. And then I've been drooling over the home theater seats... this never ends, does it? :)

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,629 Posts
I was going to have him modify this set of 4V MACs I bought before he got too busy and/or realized the demand wasnt as great as he expected. Remember when he "auctioned" those headers off? I think he expected the entire forum at the time to get in a bidding war but it was really just 3 serious people towards the end.

Kinda makes me want to get the collectors fixed and blasted and coated, my steering shaft is relocated and they should fit as is now

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I was going to have him modify this set of 4V MACs I bought before he got too busy and/or realized the demand wasnt as great as he expected. Remember when he "auctioned" those headers off? I think he expected the entire forum at the time to get in a bidding war but it was really just 3 serious people towards the end.

Kinda makes me want to get the collectors fixed and blasted and coated, my steering shaft is relocated and they should fit as is now

View attachment 39015
If you don't want to spend the money on coating you can also grind off the rusty bits, spray them with BBQ paint, and then wrap them with titanium wrap for very little money. It will be functional and look pretty "racecar" without dropping real money at a powercoating shop

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Dude, those headers!

🤤 🤤 🤤 🤤 🤤 🤤

·
Registered
603 Posts
I love getting into arguments with old heads about what makes a car valuable.

They solely believe that anything fully original is worth more because its stayed true. I believe a car is only worth as much as someone will offer for it.

Then they call me a retarded kid when I post a picture of a restomod Chevelle that sold for 10k more than a survivor 70 SS

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
I hate arguing about value, investor collectors have utterly ruined this hobby for real enthusiasts. Stock, modified, rusted into the ground, whatever. Just moneymoneymoneymoney - I kNoW WhAT i HaVe!

you know how much a nice 70 Chevelle is worth to me whether it’s a SS or restomod(I hate that word)? $10,000, not a penny more. Everyone paying $70,000 for for them is having a manhood crisis

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's a bit short-sided. Rarity, or specific engine/trans combos would add some value, plus restored or not, is it a 0-10 as far as how it appears? I guess knowing what my car will cost all said and done, if someone have a perfectly restored piece, or nearly that nice of a survivor, $40k is a logical buy. $70k for a run of the mill restored car off any sort is quite dumb.

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
Sighted* 😁

For a LS6/M22, yes, rarity puffs up the value, and I’d like to see those cars preserved. Most weren’t that though, SS396s weren’t that rare, and run of the mill Chevelle coupes were common as dirt, it’s generational nostalgia driving the market puffed by bidder egos. Their inflation adjusted as-new values are what I would consider reasonable For a 10/10, many of the less iconic muscle cars go for about that, but beyond to the point of at or near 6 figures, some even 7? It seems like more of a speculator bubble than supply and demand.

I’m just bitter I can’t find a project grade car that needs every panel replaced with a clean title for under $10,000. People pay it though, greedy investors buy them up like they’re panning for gold and have some shop do all the work for them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Damn, I guess sighted makes more sense, but think I've always heard it as sided.

I do agree they are over priced and especially basket case Midwest cars. I must say that a 67 Cougar, a 72 Monte Carlo, or a 67 Chevy II would be up there for me in the to-do if I had some space and more disposable income. Even those are climbing in value, or are getting harder to find.

Money not an object making me one of the douches you speak of I'm getting a 70GTO Judge or LS6 Chevelle. Just loved the styling on those cars.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
So Bill from SCP sent me a PM via FB earlier this morning regarding subframe bushings. He asked me to call him in order to work out a deal. I feel bad for the guy because I already have them. But at the same time, his prices on most things are either an appendage, a portion of your reproductive organ, or your first born. That's what makes us shy away from SCP. SCP's competition is much better priced.

The subframe bushings I picked up on Thursday were 20% cheaper than what he's got listed on his website and they're anodized aluminum. His website says that what he offers are made of UHMW. There's nothing wrong with UHMW, but when I'm given a choice between an anodized metal and plastic for a specific application, I'm going with the anodized metal.

Perhaps he switched from aluminum to UHMW because people were complaining about galvanic corrosion? But that seems to be because his aluminum bushings weren't anodized based on the pictures. I'm just speculating here though.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Speaking of SCP's competition - over on SCCoA they posted that Victor Malvar (? on last name) of SpinningWheelsSC passed away yesterday, 1 August 2020.

I would bet that UHMW was picked because that's what DLF used; the grade he was using was plenty solid enough.

RwP

·
Registered
277 Posts
So Bill from SCP sent me a PM via FB earlier this morning regarding subframe bushings.
Odd since you already have some. Did you post a question on one of the groups to make him think you're in need?

IMO he needs to hear some stuff of his is not proprietary and we do have options, thanks largely to threads here or FB groups.

You don't need to feel bad for getting a better product for less money. I sure don't, other than the 9 months of assuming my money was gone 😒

961 - 980 of 1029 Posts