TCCoA Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 1273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,846 Posts
Old mopars have catalogs full of reproduction sheetmetal and are inherently less complex in their body structure to effectively stitch back together. People restoring those haven’t fabricated anything substantial for 30 years, and back then they’d sacrifice a clean parts car of lesser collector value for a couple hundred bucks to use on the “good“ one. Can’t save them all.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Well, sh!t. What am I supposed to do now?

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,325 Posts
Know anyone out of state that can send the EEC to Don then send it back to you? A lot of work, I know! :confused:

Or you could move!

Joe

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
Watched a "Project Farm" test of five different spark plugs - methodogy was good, although not as complete as some will like.

I was a bit surprised at the results.

RwP

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
If nothing else, check out the forums on efidynotuning.com - decipha will help what he can considering you're in California where they hate everyone save for the "victim of the week"; and if you're male caucasian heteronormative, you're the root of all evil.

ahem

Or so it seems from some of the rhetoric.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
17,846 Posts
The question is will you be able to get PRP in the state to be able to do your own tuning. I can definitely help you out with the trans stuff if you can though.

Its bizarre to me how that state effectively favors enthusiast residents to seek out old pre 1975 cars if you intend to soup them up. Even a bad EFI tune is better than a carburator, I get punishing businesses for deleting cats and EGR systems but EFI tuning is inherently better for the air.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I posted the same screenshot over on the FB TCCOA page. About half the people who posted just absolutely lost their ******* sh!t simply because I'm in California. The other half of the people who posted did offer some genuine help or genuinely intended on helping. The consensus amongst those trying to help was to either register the car out of state, get an HP tuner, hit up LanceDFW for a chip / tune, and I forget what else. @Wile E. Coyote Jr. , you're the 3rd person to offer me to "buy" the tune. If solutions I try here don't work, I may be taking you up on the offer.

There was one last solution available for me from LaSota Racing, and that was to buy the full fledged kit where I do my own tuning. They would provide me everything I need for tuning, but they would not be able to support me in my tuning efforts nor would they give me a base tune file to start working from. That said, I may needing to sell my XCAL-II here if there's no way for me to use it.

I also spoke with my smog guy about this and he said that there is no need for me to worry about replacing the transmission since it has no impediment on emissions systems. He said to just be sure that the CEL itself works and that there aren't any error codes stored when I take the car in for smog testing.

·
Super Moderator
17,846 Posts
One other radical option - find a 96-97 Mustang GT manual PCM and swap it in. It’ll limit you to using npi heads you’ll need to use the Mustang’s MAF but it’s plug and play. It’s the same CDAN4 strategy as the Tbird PCM.

I assume Don is talking about PRP, right? The base tune should come from SCT themselves via internet from your catch code programmed into the dongle. There’s not even a way to start a tune from true scratch(all zeros) in it

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
One other radical option - find a 96-97 Mustang GT manual PCM and swap it in. It’ll limit you to using npi heads you’ll need to use the Mustang’s MAF but it’s plug and play. It’s the same CDAN4 strategy as the Tbird PCM.

I assume Don is talking about PRP, right? The base tune should come from SCT themselves via internet from your catch code programmed into the dongle. There’s not even a way to start a tune from true scratch(all zeros) in it
Q: Why can't CDB use PI heads? Won't the ECU be able to compensate for the added airflow?
-g

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

But are VIN stored in the PCM? If so, that will be a different hurtle for me to cross.

And yeah. Why would it limit me to just NPI heads? What about having my PI cams and PI intake with my NPI heads?

·
Super Moderator
17,846 Posts
I don’t think the PCM VIN matters from what I’ve heard, I mean if your original died and replaced it wouldn’t match either, right?

the combustion chamber in npi heads require more spark advance than PI, compounded with the extra compression It’ll be pinging like crazy with poor performance. PI cams and intake are fine, which I always recommend on 96-97s in lieu of headswaps anyway

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I don’t think the PCM VIN matters from what I’ve heard, I mean if your original died and replaced it wouldn’t match either, right?

the combustion chamber in npi heads require more spark advance than PI, compounded with the extra compression It’ll be pinging like crazy with poor performance. PI cams and intake are fine, which I always recommend on 96-97s in lieu of headswaps anyway
So I would literally be able to just swap in a 96/97 Mustang 5spd PCM and swap it in without issue? I wouldn't need to rewire anything?

If I were to do a tune, I'd be able to use it still?

·
Super Moderator
17,846 Posts
I’ll verify it when I get a chance but I’m 99.997% certain the core pinout is the same other than the inactive auto trans outputs, they have the same hardware and strategy. 98 is when Ford added PATS IIRC, which is different hardware, but in 96-97 it’s the same hardware and strategy, no rewiring/repinning needed

Both being CDAN4 the tune would cross over regardless of catch code, the latter really just determines the base tune you start with

·
Registered
81 Posts
I witnessed another VerticalScope Xenforo migration for a much larger forum community today and it's destined to be a bigger shitshow than this was. Stop me if you've heard this one: There's a thread titled "Community Feedback- We Are Live!" and so many naive and innocent forum members posting there probably currently think there's a chance they'll get back their lost features and old custom home page if they make enough noise. :D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

1141 - 1160 of 1273 Posts