TCCoA Forums banner

1161 - 1180 of 1277 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah I noticed it happen a few months ago on a non car related forum I had only been browsing for a couple days, same “team” of middle men who can’t relay anything properly on 1 forum, let alone 100
That's because there isn't anything to relay. VerticalScope isn't in the business of building a portfolio of over 800 communities (according to their website) to better serve each individual forum community. They'll stick around until some bugs that resulted from the migration are fixed and maybe toss up a new header banner, but good luck after that. New features tailored to a single forum or restoration of old features aren't part of their mission.

I work in software and I understand their model and what they're doing. I'd also stick to the paycheck if that's what I signed up for, but anything a VerticalScope employee says to a specific forum's members about the importance and value of a forum community runs only as deep as it relates to helping their bottom line. They're a net negative for any longstanding community that has info or unique forum features that can't be crammed into their universal Xenforo deployment package.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
That's because there isn't anything to relay. VerticalScope isn't in the business of building a portfolio of over 800 communities (according to their website) to better serve each individual forum community. They'll stick around until some bugs that resulted from the migration are fixed and maybe toss up a new header banner, but good luck after that. New features tailored to a single forum or restoration of old features aren't part of their mission.

I work in software and I understand their model and what they're doing. I'd also stick to the paycheck if that's what I signed up for, but anything a VerticalScope employee says to a specific forum's members about the importance and value of a forum community runs only as deep as it relates to helping their bottom line. They're a net negative for any longstanding community that has info or unique forum features that can't be crammed into a Xenforo installation.
Q: So how does VerticalScope make money? Do they get enough advertising dollars to justify the amount they pay for any given forum AND/OR the operating costs?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Q: So how does VerticalScope make money? Do they get enough advertising dollars to justify the amount they pay for any given forum AND/OR the operating costs?
Presumably so. Also, their parent company is the Canadian media conglomerate Torstar (Toronto Star), which was just bought out by the Canadian private equity firm NordStar Capital.

I like to joke that I'm immune to advertising because I've been on the inside before, but I can't even begin to imagine the forum browsing habits of most hobbyists that post on forums or what a typical Internet user sees in their browser on a regular basis because I don't allow ads to appear in mine.

In principle, Facebook is an advertising platform disguised as a social media platform. However, it's a lot easier to successfully deliver ads to a general audience with a massive user base rather than a smaller, niche audience like those in hobbyist forums.

VerticalScope's portfolio of forums is mostly comprised of high-value hobbies where the forum members have more money to spend than the typical social media user. However, people with pricey hobbies are also more likely to seek specific items and be less influenced by ads. Either way, VerticalScope doesn't own any sports fan forums, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Some automotive forums have aftermarket parts vendors that pay a premium for the ability to advertise and make consecutive posts on a daily basis to offer their great deals on drop shipped items.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Presumably so. Also, their parent company is the Canadian media conglomerate Torstar (Toronto Star), which was just bought out by the Canadian private equity firm NordStar Capital.

I like to joke that I'm immune to advertising because I've been on the inside before, but I can't even begin to imagine the forum browsing habits of most hobbyists that post on forums or what a typical Internet user sees in their browser on a regular basis because I don't allow ads to appear in mine.

In principle, Facebook is an advertising platform disguised as a social media platform. However, it's a lot easier to successfully deliver ads to a general audience with a massive user base rather than a smaller, niche audience like those in hobbyist forums.

VerticalScope's portfolio of forums is mostly comprised of high-value hobbies where the forum members have more money to spend than the typical social media user. However, people with pricey hobbies are also more likely to seek specific items and be less influenced by ads. Either way, VerticalScope doesn't own any sports fan forums, that's for sure.
FB's brilliance is that they know so much about their users that if you were in the business of selling limited edition lefthanded scissors with MAGA emblazoned on it, you'd be able to target those demographics directly (income above $XXX, conservative bend, left handed, etc). I don't pretend to like it but I cant argue with its effectiveness.

How well VS ads work in comparison is TBD.

PS. best use of a raspberry Pi I've ever found

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Refi is going through! The lender approved my IBR / PSLF paperwork I submitted last week!

Rate is locked in at 3.25%, so no difference in rate for me, but I'm saving the $120 in MIP as I'm moving from FHA to conventional loan! I'm super stoked. My lender said that everything should take 45-60 days all said and done.

Reactions: Lenise

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Sometimes I look at the thread titles under "Recommended Reading" and if one catches my eye, I'll read through it. The one where Obama got elected was pretty interesting. Reading through that thread, I gather that the composition of political stances of TCCOA membership back then seemed more hard right than now. I see us here as a bunch of purples with a few hues of blue and red today.

Then there was the one about how the stock market did a year earlier I found hilarious because we now know what ended up happening. Of course, back then everyone was like, "the bottom is pretty close, right?" The one thing I learned about the 2008 crash is, buy stock in a company deemed "too big to fail" immediately after they've been rescued by Uncle Sam. Sure, their stock value may not go up as high as it once was, but once it's stabilized, you'll come out ahead.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,851 Posts
Those threads in the political forum were hidden for a long time until the forum switchover, I was wondering if anyone else could see them as I was getting them recommended too. Those threads were shitshows, there weren’t many active moderators at that time and the ones active were letting them be a free for all, so there’s lots of name calling, and a lot of people stopped coming here through disagreements in them.

But yeah, demographic definitely evolved. There was a gun section at some point too, which kind of predicates a certain political alliance, plus it’s a car forum for a car that regulations have partly discouraged automakers to go through the trouble of ever pursuing again - CAFE fucks V8 passenger cars, child safety seat laws **** 2 door coupes, pedestrian safety fucks sleek low slung styling. I’ve always been left of center but automotive issues definitely break a lot of politicians in the party for me. Always frustrating when there’d be a topic here where I’d be “Right on!“ about some automotive policy issue, but then later see the same username in another topic yelling “Obama is a secret Muslim born in Kenya, and will definitely ban all our guns this week!”...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Refi is going through! The lender approved my IBR / PSLF paperwork I submitted last week!

Rate is locked in at 3.25%, so no difference in rate for me, but I'm saving the $120 in MIP as I'm moving from FHA to conventional loan! I'm super stoked. My lender said that everything should take 45-60 days all said and done.
Congrats. Every little bit of cashflow helps right now. You now have plenty to spend on suntan lotion for your head post corona-cut :)
My loan modification stuff took 6 weeks so a refi in 2 months seems reasonable.
-g

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ours are running a solid 60-75 days so that's a good turn time. It takes is 30 days to get an appraisal done.

If they ask you for anything, the faster you turn it for them the quicker your process will be. And send everything at once, so it only goes to the Underwriter one time. That's where time is lost.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Ours are running a solid 60-75 days so that's a good turn time. It takes is 30 days to get an appraisal done.

If they ask you for anything, the faster you turn it for them the quicker your process will be. And send everything at once, so it only goes to the Underwriter one time. That's where time is lost.
Yeah. Speaking with my lender yesterday, they told me that I need to submit a......sub-somethingorother.....for my personal loan on my HVAC from a few years ago. The reason being is that the lender on my HVAC loan tied the loan to a lien on my house should I default on payments. Once I get this sub-somethingorother document submitted with the next wave of documents for underwriting, everything should get moving along nicely.

My lender is curious why this HVAC loan has a lien tied to it, and now that I've found out because of this process, so am I. My lender said that as long as I submit this paperwork, it should be alright. Worst case scenario, I have to pull out $4k to pay off this HVAC personal loan in order for the refi to continue. It's not that big of a deal, IMO, but I'm trying not to pull out any cash if I could help it.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

I hadn't had to deal with loan paperwork for nearly 10 years until late last year (2010 and then again in 2019). Being able to upload all the necessary paperwork to a secure website and sign most all documents electronically was an INCREDIBLE time saver. If I never have to send a damned fax again in my life, I'll be happy person.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Had lunch at 11:45 today. I'm hungry again.

:hide:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Well, today was the day. Ellie, my 89 SC, is gone.
Loading it onto the flat bed cracked the car up more.

The car wasnt safe. Scrapping it was the best option. But I get attached to my vehicles. So Im dealing with that.

Id post pictures but Im having issues putting them up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My lender is curious why this HVAC loan has a lien tied to it, and now that I've found out because of this process, so am I. My lender said that as long as I submit this paperwork, it should be alright. Worst case scenario, I have to pull out $4k to pay off this HVAC personal loan in order for the refi to continue. It's not that big of a deal, IMO, but I'm trying not to pull out any cash if I could help it.
Since it was work done to the house and a loan was granted, they wanted to have something to fall back on if you didn't make payments. They can't just come walk of with a HVAC unit, so they put a lien on the house.

If you can roll that into your new loan at a lower rate do it. If not, you'll just have to call whomever had that loan and ask them for subordination agreement instructions.

The long and short of it is this:
Your current mortgage was the first lien taken on the home. It has the most rights to the property due to it's longer tenure. The HVAC lien is second, so it has less rights and only gets paid through foreclosure if the first lien is made whole. The new mortgage would move to second place as it pays off the current mortgage and the other lien moves up. No mortgage company is willing to have most of the risk and be in second position to get paid. That is why the ask the current second lien to subordinate it's lien (order).

As long as there is more than enough equity to cover both loans, you should get that from them very quickly. Move on it tomorrow, though as everyone is busy and it may take them a while and you multiple times of asking...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Loading it onto the flat bed cracked the car up more
That's not cool. I had my dad's old pickup for quite a while after he passed. Loved that truck. The rust was bad and after getting quotes I knew I couldn't fix it. So I drove it as it was and didn't care how ugly it got. It ran very well as we'd put a nice motor into it years before. A couple years down the road the trans started to slip. I knew the frame was bad, but while checking everything on the trans saw the bow in the frame right in front of the cab was totally rotten. Then saw the body mounts were about to give up. Time had run out for the old girl and me. I pulled the motor and cut the back of the box off to make a bench someday. There just wasn't enough to save and it sucked.

Just like a good dog. Enjoy them while you can, be sad when they go and give another one a good life.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Since it was work done to the house and a loan was granted, they wanted to have something to fall back on if you didn't make payments. They can't just come walk of with a HVAC unit, so they put a lien on the house.

If you can roll that into your new loan at a lower rate do it. If not, you'll just have to call whomever had that loan and ask them for subordination agreement instructions.

The long and short of it is this:
Your current mortgage was the first lien taken on the home. It has the most rights to the property due to it's longer tenure. The HVAC lien is second, so it has less rights and only gets paid through foreclosure if the first lien is made whole. The new mortgage would move to second place as it pays off the current mortgage and the other lien moves up. No mortgage company is willing to have most of the risk and be in second position to get paid. That is why the ask the current second lien to subordinate it's lien (order).

As long as there is more than enough equity to cover both loans, you should get that from them very quickly. Move on it tomorrow, though as everyone is busy and it may take them a while and you multiple times of asking...
Yes, that's exactly what my mortgage loan person told me. I've looked up the contract for my HVAC loan and I didn't see anything in there regarding subordination. I've sent an email off to my HVAC loan company and asked them if they can confirm with me in email that subordination is OK. That's all my mortgage person requires, just confirmation, even if by email. I'm just waiting on my HVAC loan company now.

I owe less than $4k on that loan. I'd rather not pull cash out to pay it off, but if I have to, I will. Pulling out $4k though, my mortgage person has told me that there's going to be a couple added processes to the refi. I did get an appraisal waiver though just in case the subordination doesn't work out. That means that I don't need to have a person come out and walk my property for an appraisal, right? If someone does come out, then I NEED that bathroom done, lol.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,285 Posts
I went to the junk yard today.

I needed the exhaust hanger that connects the transmission to the transmission mount.

Sort of a 'U' shaped part.

The transmission shop left it off and lost it during a freshen up.

It took longer to drive to the yard than it took to remove the part.

1161 - 1180 of 1277 Posts