TCCoA Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1372 Posts

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
😂 I saw it land .. I thought it was a piece of dirt that fell on his head until I got closer to the TV. My vision is getting worse .. 🤓
Now this is how someone presidential takes care of pests :). None of this let him sit here and eat residue off my hair.

I was going to make a comment about jainists never being able to run for president because they wouldn't kill any flies that land on them at a public event but it did get me to thinking: if elected, Biden would only be the second catholic to serve as POTUS (the first being JFK).

Q: when will we see an agnostic, athiest, or non christian serve as POTUS (I'd give LDS people a pass - I'm not going to call them non christians if they call themselves christian since it's not my place to judge)? This means buddhist, jew, agnostic, etc.

20 years? Our lifetime? 100 years?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I hope it's within our lifetime. The country is definitely becoming more diverse and it should be represented at our highest office.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I was always under the assumption there was supposed to be a separation between church and state.
Spoken like a true with native Californian with exposure to all sorts of people of different ethnic backgrounds.

• There are some people who believe the US was founded as a Christian nation and not just one that was religious neutral (hence "one nation under God").
  • There are some people who don't believe that the muslim god is the same as the jewish god, the catholic god, the protestant god, or the LDS god.
  • Remember how Jesse "the Body" "the Mind" Ventura's budding political career was cut short when he called 'Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers,'' he said. ''It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business.''
  • Yes, there was a time when TWO actors were governors in our country (Ventura and Shwarzenager)
I too thought that the separation of church and state was established case law but apparently, because religious leaders like to call out the practices of other religions, we have friction. In today's day and age, nothing should be taken for granted anymore. One more thing to fix.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Separation of church and state was intended to make sure a specific Religion was NOT to be named the religion of the land and that all "men" could practice religion freely.

The idea has morphed into much more than that, but nothing states religion can't be within government, or other areas of society.

The supreme court has more to do with the idea as it is today.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Separation of church and state was intended to make sure a specific Religion was to be named the religion of the land and that all "men" could practice religion freely.

The idea has morphed into much more than that, but nothing states religion can't be within government, or other areas of society.

The supreme court has more to do with the idea as it is today.
"Separation of church and state was intended to make sure a specific Religion was to be named the religion of the land"

Q: You mean like Christianity is supposed to be the religion of the land but others, say a muslim, a jew or a buddhist, can practice freely? If so, which flavor of Christianity? And what happens when one religion wants to do something that the other religion says is forbidden (let's take something less controversial like eating pork)? Which religion takes precedence?

Citations please.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
I’m not sure where this discussion is heading, but my opinion? I don’t think it matters. In fact I wouldn’t be so sure we haven’t already had a POTUS or two who are atheist/agnostic on the inside and only play up the religion angle as a pandering effort for voters who think those values are paramount. If I were running for Prez I’d fake too, I don’t disagree with Jesse Ventura on that quote(various conspiracies he believes, not so much).

On a larger scale I firmly believe political ideology has largely occupied the space in the minds of non-religious people who came from religious family backgrounds. All that original sin, dogma, scripture, righteousness vs the heathens is all there, defy it or make contrary talking points and it’s heresy. Herd/cult mentality bullshit. Church and state simply fused together, with the worst elements of both.

I hope it's within our lifetime. The country is definitely becoming more diverse and it should be represented at our highest office.
I think whoever is in the highest office should be qualified for the job, not just a token symbolic feel-good gesture based on the color of their skin or family‘s religious background. Being “the first __ to be __” is utterly meaningless to whatever position they occupy.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I think whoever is in the highest office should be qualified for the job, not just a token symbolic feel-good gesture based on the color of their skin or family‘s religious background. Being “the first __ to be __” is utterly meaningless to whatever position they occupy.
I agree with this. This person who holds highest office needs to be qualified. If they happen to be the first to hold office, that is an added bonus.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The first clause of the bill of rights states that "congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." .. The issue in current news is regarding the appointment of a new Supreme court justice with "conservative religious values" .. That is a problem.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The problem is it's being brought up, not that she holds those values. If she has defended the constitution in her rulings to date, there is no reason she would not be appointed. (Other than presidence being set last time we were in an election year)

They should not be making law from the court. That's the biggest issue, IMO

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The supreme court is the highest court and sets precedence for the nation. No judge in any lower level court would have the authority or ability to "defend the constitution" so that point is irrelevant.

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
106 Posts
You guys are going all political. I'm a conservative, and I hate Trump, so as little joy as there is for anybody in politics this year... I've got less 😂

Meantime, my T-Bird has been doing fine lately. The power seat even worked after I put her through the car wash 🥳 My youngest and I were out for a walk in our little town yesterday when a kind of rust-red third pulled up and parked right next to us with the widows down, so when the passenger got out, I talked to the driver (feeling silly, but 🤷). She said it was a '97 and that they'd had kinks to work out when they bought it, too, but that it had been a good car.

My feel-good moment of the day 😂

·
Super Moderator
13,027 Posts
LOL ... glad you ran into another Tbird owner and had that connection.

·
Super Moderator
17,955 Posts
You guys are going all political. I'm a conservative, and I hate Trump, so as little joy as there is for anybody in politics this year... I've got less 😂

Meantime, my T-Bird has been doing fine lately. The power seat even worked after I put her through the car wash 🥳 My youngest and I were out for a walk in our little town yesterday when a kind of rust-red third pulled up and parked right next to us with the widows down, so when the passenger got out, I talked to the driver (feeling silly, but 🤷). She said it was a '97 and that they'd had kinks to work out when they bought it, too, but that it had been a good car.

My feel-good moment of the day 😂
Yeah I’m trying to take a political sabbatical, I’ve participated in more political discussion in the last month than I have in the last 10 years, and it’s stressing me the hell out lol

I really enjoy running into random people who have or had these cars. It makes my day when someone comes up and says how much they love theirs or miss it and how great it is to see mine on the road.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
There's a 5.0 Fox Cat out here that I see on the road. I finally ran into the owner at the local parts store when I was picking oil for my DD's last oil change a few weeks ago. We talked for a good while and he had a great fondness for his Fox Cat. The car was mint condition up until about 4 months ago and I asked him about that. Unfortunately, someone ran a red light and wasn't able to stop in time and T-Boned the owner of the Fox Cat. The car is driveable and only has minor fender damage. He said the other car was a complete mess though. I told him about TCCOA and FB TCCOA page and told him that he might find someone with the parts he needs. However, I doubt he had interest in them as he didn't seem to take much interest in going online for searching. He was very old school despite being not much older than me.

I wish I would have taken a picture.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,692 Posts
As I was backing in to the parking spot for my first meeting of the morning, the superintendent was getting out of his car (ironically just a plain ol' newer Camry) and I could tell he was checking out mine. As we we were in the nuts-and-bolts of the meeting (this client is very entertaining, they are very informal and include a lot of banter in their meetings) he made a few remarks about my "hot rod" Thunderbird and how he never sees them anymore.

It sure seems like the last year or two has seen more people making comments about these cars than I remember.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Yeah I’m trying to take a political sabbatical, I’ve participated in more political discussion in the last month than I have in the last 10 years, and it’s stressing me the hell out lol
I don't think its the political discussion that has stressed me out more than it is the craziness of our government. I wish it got back to the time when it was something I largely ignored (like the stock market).

Unfortunately, both are occupying oversized positions in my mind ("renting space in my head" as Ralph put it, i believe) simply because both stand to have a more significant impact on my life than ever before... hence the need to pay attention to this stuff instead of pondering more relaxing thoughts like "gee, i should fix my garage door so I can finally open it up and get my tbird up and running again."

·
Super Moderator
17,955 Posts
I don't think its the political discussion that has stressed me out more than it is the craziness of our government. I wish it got back to the time when it was something I largely ignored (like the stock market).

Unfortunately, both are occupying oversized positions in my mind ("renting space in my head" as Ralph put it, i believe) simply because both stand to have a more significant impact on my life than ever before... hence the need to pay attention to this stuff instead of pondering more relaxing thoughts like "gee, i should fix my garage door so I can finally open it up and get my tbird up and running again."
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the discussion here, it’s just as you(Ralph) say it’s subject occupying space in my mind. I’ve always kept tabs on what’s going on in politics, but with what I think was a much healthier level of consumption, like once a day pretending there isn’t a 24/hr news cycle or twitter. There’s a lot of talk about how the pandemic will affect people’s mental health, and I’m definitely feeling it, I’m an introverted person and the social distancing and precautions haven’t really changed my lifestyle THAT much, but with news and politics directly or indirectly becoming my source of “entertainment”, my phyche is really taking a horrible beating. My ballot is mailed, I did my part, I’m beat, I’m watching cartoons and learning KISS solos on guitar until election night lol

1301 - 1320 of 1372 Posts