·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Ah! Makes sense.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
TIL

A horse is equivalent to 15 horsepower....
Peak. LIke your
I can't take an airplane up to 15,000 without supplemental oxygen. Without a pressure suit, someone used to near sea level pressures would probably end up with bonkers judgmental skills from hypoxia with such a rapid ascent. Most airlines are pressurized to 8,000 feet, a few newer models are pressurized to 6,000 feet. Go too high for too long, you end up with hypoxia and it's ... lights out. Nevermind the weird effects it would cause on your body. Ear pain, if not ruptured eardrums. The air pressure at 15,000 is not much more than half what it is at sea level...

Regulations are (for unpressurized aircraft) no flight over 14,000 without oxygen. If you're between 12,500 and 14,000 you need to be on oxygen after 30 minutes. Under 12,500 there's no requirement. But everyone responds differently to the different altitudes. Coming home one time at 8500, my wife felt lightheaded and sleepy, but I felt fine.

No, it has 21. :ROFLMAO:
So you are just saying its not a good idea to shoot up to 15K and then back down quickly... but not arguing that its impossible with current technology.

So the guy stops off at his local walgreens before launching himself and picks one of these up. Not much O2 but they are pretty lightweight and he can take a puff on the way down if he feels nutty.

People do stupid stuff all the time. You only have to visit your local bar during a pandemic to see that.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,694 Posts
A little insight into VFR flight planning for anyone nerdy enough to read some of the process.

I've been planning my flight from CGF (Cuyahoga County) to HAO (Butler County) tomorrow now that the forecasts are being published. It's my first true "cross country" flight since 2018 and the start of my battle with the FAA to get my medical certification updated.

It requires quite a bit of legwork but I must say, it's a rather exhilarating feeling to dust off the various skills.

So far winds aloft are forecast at 8-15 knots (depending on which part of the state I'm in) out of the west-southwest at 3000', 17 knots at 6000' and about 22 at 9000'. Given my flight from CGF-HAO will be due southwest, I'll fly low on the way there to minimize the headwinds. Then on the way back, I'll go a little higher to take advantage of the stronger tailwinds. It's a balancing act though - climbing is slower than cruising, so there's a point at which the time gained from a few extra knots of tailwind isn't worth the time lost with the longer climb. Since the trip is only 192 nmi, spending an extra 5 minutes at half the normal cruising speed to get up to the faster winds isn't worth it. So I'll stay at 3000 on the way down, then come back at 5500.

My current calculations, assuming I cruise at 75% power each way, are a true airspeed of 163 knots and a ground speed of 153 knots on the way down; on the way back my true airspeed will be 171 knots and my ground speed should be 185 knots. Not too shabby for an old Cessna single from 1978. :)

Granted most of the flight will be GPS direct navigation, but I still need to know winds aloft for altitude planning purposes, which then translate to ground speed, time enroute, and fuel/weight balance computations. So far it looks like about 38 gallons used for the round trip, including start/taxi/runup... for a stellar fuel "economy" of 10 nmi/gal overall.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hadn't thought of the arc of the flight affecting the actual speed of the plane versus perceived speed, point A to B on the ground. Seems obvious now that you pointed it out

I'm scared of heights, so don't do well in planes, but I get over it. Thankfully the thrust at takeoff impresses me enough to take my mind off of the height. And if I were on the controls my anxiety would be much less. I don't like other people driving cars either. I have issues... Control being the big one 😂

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
One of my friends is a pilot for Delta. It took him 10yrs of being a copilot to becoming pilot.

He lives out in GA and flies out of ATL on all his trips. IIRC he was flying the DC-7 or DC-8 until Delta recently retired that plane from it's airplane inventory.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,694 Posts
Maybe you're thinking of the MD-80 series? The DC8 is a relic of the late 50s into the 70s, it was the competitor to the Boeing 707. The DC7 is a 4-engine propliner. :)

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,840 Posts
Yep phasing out the loud JT8D 's . Workhorse they were.

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
Matt ...

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Maybe you're thinking of the MD-80 series? The DC8 is a relic of the late 50s into the 70s, it was the competitor to the Boeing 707. The DC7 is a 4-engine propliner. :)
Yes! That's the one I was thinking about, the MD-80!!

IDK what he's flying right now....or if he's even flying right now.

I gotta reach out to him. I'll do that tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,957 Posts
I kid you not there was for years a red 1959 Plymouth for sale on Gary avenue in Keenyville that not only looked like Christine(one year off) but looked just like the neighborhood/house of the guy who sold it in the movie. I gave it a good look over once, called my name every time I drove by it. One cursed car to obsess about at a time though. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
One of my friends is a pilot for Delta. It took him 10yrs of being a copilot to becoming pilot.

He lives out in GA and flies out of ATL on all his trips. IIRC he was flying the DC-7 or DC-8 until Delta recently retired that plane from it's airplane inventory.
Probably an MD-88 or MD-90. Those aircraft in Delta's fleet were long overdue to be retired. Fortunately for Delta they held onto them long enough to avoid the Boeing 737 MAX woes. They're upgrading with Airbus A220s, A321s and A321neos.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
So I got the airbag recall notice for my 6GA a few months ago. Fast forward to three weeks ago and they say parts are available and to stroll on in to my nearest convinient stealership. So I do that on Saturday.

Instead of waiting ~2hrs for service I decide to walk the lot and (as expected) was approached by a salesperson. We talk Civic with MT, and she shows me one. I scope it out, look around, all this time she's talking to me about features that are blatantly obvious like she's just trying to remember key talking points from a script she had to memorize. I ask her technical questions and she fumbles with her answers or says "I don't know that". I dismiss these things and ask her for a test drive. And in typical dealer fashion, the car needs to get moved. She tries to play the fact that she doesn't know how to drive stick all slick-like by asking for my driver's license and while she's making a photocopy of my DL, her manager comes out and moves the car around the front while I "wait" for her to come back. She comes out, and we get in the car. She starts pointing out interior features of the car. I grab the shifter and row the gears to feel for them, and I have to say that I did not like gears 5, 6, and R. This was the first 6spd MT I've driven that had no reverse "safety lock" (IDK what it's called). For example, my Mazda RX-8 I had to push down on the shifter and other 6spds have a pull ring in order to get them into reverse gear. Not the Civic though. It was full on hard right and down. Anyway, we get in the car and we start driving. I'm trying to get a feel for the car and the clutch feels really soft and real high. Not a big deal really since it's a car I wasn't used to. We drive down the street and back. Mind you, the car had 38 miles at the time I drove it. We get back, and she asks if I'm interested in anything else. I say the new Accords.

We walk the lot a little bit and she shows me the Accords, and we encounter a Blue 1.5T Sport. Just like the Civic, she's trying to remember key talking points from some sort of script relating to the exterior of the car. She pulls the car around (because it's AT, lol) and we get in. She's pointing out all sorts of interior features and I'm looking at it and thinking in my head, "this is my 6GA but just with 20yrs of newer tech and features". It's surprisingly similar to my 6GA. Sure, there were obvious key differences like the infotainment thing, and the cluster itself, but at the core design of it all, it was my 6GA. It was by far roomier than my 6GA though, for sure, and that I did like a lot. We finally get to driving and she says I can take a different route, a longer route by about 1-1/2 miles. I ask her "why such a difference in routes?" To which she replied, "because the Civic is a manual and we want to keep the miles down on them as much as possible because manuals are so rare these days." This Accord had only 6 miles. When we finish the test drive, we head back in to the showroom floor.

She leads me to an available cubicle to where I sit down while she goes fetch paperwork; the infamous 4 boxes sheet of paper. We start talking and she's asking me which of the two I liked better and where we stand in terms of numbers. I tell her I wasn't really impressed with either of the two cars. I tell her that both cars had features that were real nice, but neither one of them had anything that I really wanted. The Civic is about the same size as my 6GA and the 10GA is basically a bigger new version of my car. Right then I get a call from the service department stating that my car is ready. It's at this point in time she realized what's going on and why I was test driving cars. She then asks me, "so what was the purpose of this visit?" To which I replied, "informative." I saw her sink, lol. I tell her I'm not quite ready for buying a car yet as I'm in the middle of refinancing and I can't have a hit on my credit at the moment. She asks when I can come back and I tell her mid to late November based on my refinance timeline.

So for now, the ball has been punted down the field for when they'll call me to try and come in. I'm not ready to buy yet. I need to pay off a couple debts first and sell my 6GA to get a down payment and be able to afford a car payment and (likely) increased insurance costs.

Anyway, as I was walking out of the stealership, I noticed one thing. I was the oldest car on that lot.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
So I got the airbag recall notice for my 6GA a few months ago. Fast forward to three weeks ago and they say parts are available and to stroll on in to my nearest convinient stealership. So I do that on Saturday.

Instead of waiting ~2hrs for service I decide to walk the lot and (as expected) was approached by a salesperson. We talk Civic with MT, and she shows me one. I scope it out, look around, all this time she's talking to me about features that are blatantly obvious like she's just trying to remember key talking points from a script she had to memorize. I ask her technical questions and she fumbles with her answers or says "I don't know that". I dismiss these things and ask her for a test drive. And in typical dealer fashion, the car needs to get moved. She tries to play the fact that she doesn't know how to drive stick all slick-like by asking for my driver's license and while she's making a photocopy of my DL, her manager comes out and moves the car around the front while I "wait" for her to come back. She comes out, and we get in the car. She starts pointing out interior features of the car. I grab the shifter and row the gears to feel for them, and I have to say that I did not like gears 5, 6, and R. This was the first 6spd MT I've driven that had no reverse "safety lock" (IDK what it's called). For example, my Mazda RX-8 I had to push down on the shifter and other 6spds have a pull ring in order to get them into reverse gear. Not the Civic though. It was full on hard right and down. Anyway, we get in the car and we start driving. I'm trying to get a feel for the car and the clutch feels really soft and real high. Not a big deal really since it's a car I wasn't used to. We drive down the street and back. Mind you, the car had 38 miles at the time I drove it. We get back, and she asks if I'm interested in anything else. I say the new Accords.

We walk the lot a little bit and she shows me the Accords, and we encounter a Blue 1.5T Sport. Just like the Civic, she's trying to remember key talking points from some sort of script relating to the exterior of the car. She pulls the car around (because it's AT, lol) and we get in. She's pointing out all sorts of interior features and I'm looking at it and thinking in my head, "this is my 6GA but just with 20yrs of newer tech and features". It's surprisingly similar to my 6GA. Sure, there were obvious key differences like the infotainment thing, and the cluster itself, but at the core design of it all, it was my 6GA. It was by far roomier than my 6GA though, for sure, and that I did like a lot. We finally get to driving and she says I can take a different route, a longer route by about 1-1/2 miles. I ask her "why such a difference in routes?" To which she replied, "because the Civic is a manual and we want to keep the miles down on them as much as possible because manuals are so rare these days." This Accord had only 6 miles. When we finish the test drive, we head back in to the showroom floor.

She leads me to an available cubicle to where I sit down while she goes fetch paperwork; the infamous 4 boxes sheet of paper. We start talking and she's asking me which of the two I liked better and where we stand in terms of numbers. I tell her I wasn't really impressed with either of the two cars. I tell her that both cars had features that were real nice, but neither one of them had anything that I really wanted. The Civic is about the same size as my 6GA and the 10GA is basically a bigger new version of my car. Right then I get a call from the service department stating that my car is ready. It's at this point in time she realized what's going on and why I was test driving cars. She then asks me, "so what was the purpose of this visit?" To which I replied, "informative." I saw her sink, lol. I tell her I'm not quite ready for buying a car yet as I'm in the middle of refinancing and I can't have a hit on my credit at the moment. She asks when I can come back and I tell her mid to late November based on my refinance timeline.

So for now, the ball has been punted down the field for when they'll call me to try and come in. I'm not ready to buy yet. I need to pay off a couple debts first and sell my 6GA to get a down payment and be able to afford a car payment and (likely) increased insurance costs.

Anyway, as I was walking out of the stealership, I noticed one thing. I was the oldest car on that lot. View attachment 39671

View attachment 39672
1) I'll bet dollars to donuts that the Reverse lock is there. if you had tried moving forward under power, I doubt would have been able to throw it reverse; there's just no secondary lock like a ring or push down motion. My Audi has a similar all the way left and forward reverse.

2) Although bigger than my taste, I think the 2.0T is worth shopping. My next car will likely be for my wife. My personal preference would be for a 6speed wagon preferably with a turbo and AWD. Since they won't bring the Subaru Levorg to the US, I suspect we may have to cross shop a BMW. A 3 series touring is probably the right size but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy german again. it might be cool to do euro delivery though. Also, the new BMW nose is atrocious (I hope they haven't hit the 3 series touring yet). I also like the Volvo wagon but I think I like the concept of a twincharged engine FAR more than I like the idea of owning and maintaining one. We aren't really driving anywhere so this is about as much of an academic thought exercise as anything else.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Q: you guys think there will be a debate in 2 days? I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I was able to get into reverse in this Civic without a reverse lockout. It was just ALL the way over to the right and then down. It made getting into 6th gear a bit tricky, but doable.

I think that debates will happen, yes.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Q: you guys think there will be a debate in 2 days? I'm skeptical
Any particular reason you're skeptical? I don't watch much for news, so what ever comes across my FB or light web surfing is all I get. Haven't read anything to this effect.

I must say, as long as it's used fairly the mute button is a great idea. That being said, not nearly as entertaining.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I foresee a high probability of crazy sh!t happening in my family's personal life in the next few days. We'll have to see

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Any particular reason you're skeptical? I don't watch much for news, so what ever comes across my FB or light web surfing is all I get. Haven't read anything to this effect.

I must say, as long as it's used fairly the mute button is a great idea. That being said, not nearly as entertaining.
I honestly think a mute button will offer fantastic comedy in split screen.

1) Trump already cited that he doesn't like the mute button when he refused the second debate.
"No I’m not going to waste my time on a virtual debate"
Speaking on Fox Business Thursday morning, Trump seemed to acknowledge that any debate format where he could be silenced for interrupting would cramp his debating style.
“That’s not what debating is all about,” he said. “You sit behind a computer and do a debate, it’s ridiculous. And then they cut you off whenever they want...You have to confront people, you can’t do it over a computer.”

Q: How will he accept the possibility of an in person debate where they will have a mute button? Will he accept the nation seeing him seethe and yell while he's only picked up by the moderator or Biden's mike? Or will he bring his own megaphone? Or, will he walk over and try to yell into Biden's/the moderator Walker's mike? Keep in mind that he already violated the terms he agreed to for the first debate. In any of these scenarios, he's not gonna look good.

2) He's already called the female moderator "unfair". If you thought he had very little respect for Chris Wallace, watch how he treats Ms Walker. THAT's not going to endear him to anyone but the most fervent handmaids aka Amy Coney Barrett's religious ilk.

3) What if he can't pass a full covid test (not just a rapid test)? We have no idea if he's still infectious. If he still has detectable covid bits b/c with a PCR test, it would demonstate that he had those rallies despite being potentially infectious -- thereby putting his supporters at risk from more than just each other.

3) Practically speaking, what does he have to GAIN from a third debate? Even the Russians admitted he didn't exactly look "presidential" in the first debate. He's just giving Biden another forum to show that even that clown can out President the POTUS.

4) None of the topics make him look good. presiding over 200K deaths? That more than WW1 + Korean War + Vietnam war. What else can he say besides whuddabout Hunter? Even his last attacks citing Hunter had a bank account with a Chinese businessman is so much projection; compared to that allegation, there's already documented proof that the Trump Org has and maintains a bank acct with a chinese bank. Attempting to throw shade on his opponents son only casts more light on his own even worse shadiness. He's a shitty tactician.

At best, I give it 50/50 odds that there's a debate and if he does show up, I'll be 60/40 he walks off-stage before its done.

1341 - 1360 of 1372 Posts