·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Is it your birthday? :)

·
Registered
4,165 Posts

Its my youngest son's 9th Birthday. We are taking him to a Japanese steakhouse / Teppanyaki tonight and then he said he wants to go to Chuck E Cheese .. or Dave and Busters. I thought this was really cool - one of the gifts I picked him up at work ( since he broke his Legend of Zelda mug ). I didn't know it changed when warmed.

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
That's really cool. I collect coffee mugs. I've been wanting to get a SpaceX one. I have a NASA mug from the 1980's when my family took a vacation to Florida. It's not near as cool as that one!

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Spacex makes a cool color change mug; I got one when I interviewed. Did not get the job, lol.

It's in their online shop. :)

Dan, just giving you a hard time; your kid knows what he wants, I can feel that. :)

Give them what they want while they can still enjoy it; nothing sux like Disney at 25, lol.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Changing gears here a little bit. My garage is a hot mess. I have three different home improvement projects going on at the same time, none of which are related to each other. The bathroom was my priority, and the reason for my garage being a hot mess.

However, after an incident with one of my neighbors and signs of someone snooping around the house in the middle of the night, my wife told me to get some security cameras put up. So I've been working on that.

The smallest of the projects is an HD-Rabbit ears because it's one of those "while I'm there" things. Running the cables through my attic for the security camera system, I might as well run two extra cables and get the digital rabbit ears set up.

I've had both already for nearly 2-1/2 years sitting in their respective boxes in my closet....

Anyway, once I'm done with the bathroom, the next project to get done won't be floors like my wife and I wanted, it's looking like it will be my son's bedroom and the hallway closet immediately adjacent to his room. That shouldn't take too long as it's basically demo, add insulation (R-13), replace two existing windows, and make minor modifications to his closet. The only thing that will be "extra" will be this hallway closet as I'm converting the top half of it into my server closet. I'm thinking maybe a 10U rack would be perfect (perhaps a bit of overkill) for it.

Once his bedroom and this closet are done, his room will be a few inches wider.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Does CA allow Carry permits?

I'd definitely want cameras over the yard, all sides, and entry cameras; so you can see if some ahole is waiting outside the door.

Idiocy is global, and I firmly believe in "an armed society is a polite society".

Make sure the cameras you get aren't using a chinese site to allow access, as those are very hackable.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Carry permit, such as open carry or CCW permit? Or are you referring to something else?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm sure he meant CCW. While I certainly support being armed, if you're adding a security system, did it come with stickers, or yard signs. If nothing else that's a good deterrent. Or one of those " this house is protected by Smith and Wesson" always works well:cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Ring (or equivalent) webcam doorbells are the new "This house is protected by Smith and Wesson". They're an amazing deterrent, alarm AND witness.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts

The other side of the Mug.

Made my way down to Disneyland in early October with the family.

Speaking of Home cameras .. you might be surprised how much goes on outside your home when you're not watching.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I'm sure he meant CCW. While I certainly support being armed, if you're adding a security system, did it come with stickers, or yard signs. If nothing else that's a good deterrent. Or one of those " this house is protected by Smith and Wesson" always works well:cool:
It did come with stickers. However, my wife took one look at those and said not to put them up.

I'm thinking about going on the feeBay and buying a yard sign or two bfrom like ADT or something and sticking them on my yard.

Ring (or equivalent) webcam doorbells are the new "This house is protected by Smith and Wesson". They're an amazing deterrent, alarm AND witness.
Is it though? I see so much stuff out there of people who still take stuff from the porch in jeans and a t-shirt. Or are those just the people who are on a lower level of [email protected]?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Speaking of Home cameras .. you might be surprised how much goes on outside your home when you're not watching.
It's definitely something that I am curious about. Some people have even told me that what happens at night is also just as surprising.

I was surprised even inside my house!! Earlier in the week while I was testing out the camera equipment to make sure it works, I had it all setup in the corner of my dining room looking at the kitchen. On the first day we found out that whenever we are all gone, our big dog jumps onto the counter to see if we have any food (uneaten scraps, dirty dishes to lick, etc.) AND he licks the toaster to try and get crumbs!! :puke:

He clearly knows not to do it while we're home.

I'm also surprised he hasn't shocked himself 🤣

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
My cousin has the best videos from his camera mounted out front .. he lives near an intersection on a busy street - there are a lot of car accidents. Funniest one he showed me, this naked guy comes out of nowhere just walking down the sidewalk and then you see two cops come take him down. This happened in broad daylight. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
It's definitely something that I am curious about. Some people have even told me that what happens at night is also just as surprising.

One of my neighbors just posted a video on the Nextdoor app of a fox visiting their porch one night that their doorbell camera captured. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Taking a 5min breather from doing attic crawls. 3 of 6 cables have been run already.

This is also the first time I've done any attic crawls since before I had the HVAC upgraded.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Oh yea. I think Pearl will be parked for a little bit longer now.....maybe, not sure.

She needs valve stem seals to be done. She blows purple smoke on startup and when revving up the engine. Some peeps on the FB group say to just get new heads. Others say to just do the air compressor method. I did a search on the forum, and some threads indicated to replace springs as well?

Had I known this way back when I was doing the PI cams and Intake swap....along with a buttload of other things I was doing.....I would have taken care of the valve stem seals back then. They're only $15 on RockAuto. 🤦

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
You don't have to take the heads off to do the seals, but it's easier, IMHO.

You can use a compressor to hold the valves shut, or you can use small chain to fill the combustion chamber, while it's at TDC.

The compressor isn't bad to do, but if you accidentally push the valve open by using the tool incorrectly, the valve can fall in. :)

Then, you're pulling the heads anyway. :D

You might want to pull the heads, replace the seals, and lap the valves while your there, to make sure they still seal well after all these miles.
Lapping is easy and cheap; the tool and paste is less than $20, last I bought any.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If I pull the heads, I'm going full PI swap.

I'll find an 03-04 GT, CV, etc. to pull heads from and take those to a machine shop to get looked over.

121 - 140 of 202 Posts