TCCoA Forums banner

1441 - 1460 of 1498 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I think that I'll do it this way:

Buy everything else I need for the project and when I'm ready to finally move on everything, buy just the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
If it was the same as a m5r2 slave .. I have a spare here. 🤔 also have spare throw out bearings ( for the m5r2 )

·
Registered
2010 BMW M5
1,657 Posts
So I don't need to do anything then? IIRC from what @Black_Cat told me, the clutch, flywheel, and slave all have under 25k miles. If it all lasts me another 50k miles, I'd be happy with that as I wouldn't be driving the car as my daily so it'd get some good years out of the setup before needing to be replaced under failure conditions.
Hey CDs, you should be good to go on that slave/TO unit, it is a genuine ford unit and the second one I purchased. I had previously used a Dorman and it destroyed itself, so I opted for a brand new OE one from Ford directly. You could replace it, but I know it cost me north of $150 from Ford back then.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Thanks for giving me confidence on these parts @Black_Cat .

It's what I needed to hear 🙂

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wouldn't trust him, you should buy more stuff, lol.

Totally joking- I got some nice stuff off of him too. Had I caught him before he sold a lot of the car, I would have driven halfway across the country to get it. Killing one black cat to save another would have been righteous.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Tags and smog check are coming up on the daily. I'm going to take care of both here by Saturday.

Sucks too, this $180 between both that I'm going to be spending on the Honda would otherwise be car parts money for the T-Bird as a belated birthday gift to myself 😓.

·
Super Moderator
7,802 Posts
ClintD makes them.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
So my dad knows how to weld, and I showed him some pictures, and, well......

😀😎

·
Registered
476 Posts
Subframe connectors of some sort, is assume. Unless he's really sick of the election and is making a couple weapons 😜

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Subframe connectors indeed!

He's doing this at work. We're going to get measurements on Sunday and take it from there. I've been told on the FB page that this appears to be 1/4" thick, and while it would work, it would be incredibly heavy. Not knowing how thick the metal needed to be, my dad just picked up whatever he found. I guess it can be as thin as 1/8" or 3/16".

I've asked my dad if he can find some 1/8" square tubes.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Subframe connectors of some sort, is assume. Unless he's really sick of the election and is making a couple weapons 😜
Square potoato cannons! 😜

I think 1/8" would be plenty thick enough and half the weight.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Since dimensions have never been made public, we were simply eyballing it going off of provided photos and was never sure about the thickness.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
You could have asked. Yes that square will be HEAVY. Looks like 1.5 square x .250 .. You could get away with .75 square x .120 or even 1 inch At .120 At one point in time I had all of the dimensions for a set of LECB, FSSB, and rear subframe connectors.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Tags and smog check are coming up on the daily. I'm going to take care of both here by Saturday.

Sucks too, this $180 between both that I'm going to be spending on the Honda would otherwise be car parts money for the T-Bird as a belated birthday gift to myself 😓.
$180 for tags
You could have asked. Yes that square will be HEAVY. Looks like 1.5 square x .250 .. You could get away with .75 square x .120 or even 1 inch At .120 At one point in time I had all of the dimensions for a set of LECB, FSSB, and rear subframe connectors.
I used 1" or 0.75" tubing for my subframe connectors. With the tbird lowered, I remember the subframe connectors scraped the ground a few times around laguna seca. After a few laps, they clearenced themselves so it wasnt that big a deal.

1.5" on a llowered car will definitely hit the ground when your front suspension fully compresses.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
$180 for tags
No, $135 for tags and I'm expecting ~$45 for smog check.

I used 1" or 0.75" tubing for my subframe connectors. With the tbird lowered, I remember the subframe connectors scraped the ground a few times around laguna seca. After a few laps, they clearenced themselves so it wasnt that big a deal.
I already sent a text to my dad asking if he can find 1/8" thick square tubing. He worked graveyard shift last nigh, so I'm not expecting anything back from him until around lunchtime today.

1.5" on a llowered car will definitely hit the ground when your front suspension fully compresses.
So I'll be scraping for sure on 1-1/2" tubing...?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
No, $135 for tags and I'm expecting ~$45 for smog check.

I already sent a text to my dad asking if he can find 1/8" thick square tubing. He worked graveyard shift last nigh, so I'm not expecting anything back from him until around lunchtime today.

So I'll be scraping for sure on 1-1/2" tubing...?

1) I confirmed that i'm using 1" tubing. Clearance is lowered by the thickness of the tubing (1") plus the thickness of a plate that I welded to the square tube to bolt to the subframe (looks like 1/4" plate).

2) I had to dig into my records: front springs are SC with 1.5 coils cut off. I think this results in a 1.5"-2" drop. Your ride height may be different.

3) I'm working from my garage this morning so I took the tape measure out: Sitting in my garage, its a little under 5.5" from the bottom of my bumper to the ground. The subframe connectors bring this down to 4" which jives with my measurements. It's not too much work to weld the pieces but get a tape measure and see how much distance you have between the kmember and the ground. 4" is right at the limit IMO. You want more than 4" including any bracket.

4) Banning is not Laguna Seca. This video is 3 or so years old now but the corners where we scraped IIRC can be seen at 4:38 and 4:45. You go super fast, then you brake as you are going over a crest into a sharp turn at the bottom of the hill. All the weight of your car shifts forward and to the outside corners.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
As cool as that 360* video is, it's not very user friendly when on mobile sitting in my vehicle as I'm trying to turn my body 165* to the right so I can view the front of the car / road ahead.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
As cool as that 360* video is, it's not very user friendly when on mobile sitting in my vehicle as I'm trying to turn my body 165* to the right so I can view the front of the car / road ahead.

Don't mess with these videos while driving or you might end up with two neverending project cars (the honda and the tbird).

1441 - 1460 of 1498 Posts