TCCoA Forums banner

1461 - 1480 of 1498 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
LOL, I wasn't driving. I was parked. Car on, AC on for comfort.

Honda would get scrapped. I'm ready for a replacement for the Honda anyway....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Visited my dad during my lunch break today. That is indeed 1/4" square tubing.

There's a metal supply shop near where I work. I'll be visiting them and scope out 20ft of 1 x 1 x 1/8 square tubing

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
For you plumber/plumbing-experienced folks, I just found out my mother in laws water heater in CO just started leaking. It's only a little over 6 years old.
1) TIL that its not terribly uncommon for the low end models w/ 6 year warranties to die right after their warranty ends. Every other water heater in my life has lasted 10+ years without any drama.
Bradford White MI40T6FBN was the offending unit

Q: Anyone have any thoughts on a replacement? Rheem? My gut feeling to to just spend a little extra and get a replacement with a 12 year warranty. Costs are approx $700 for the water heater and $5-600 to install.

2) In CO, its common to have expansion tanks. I don't have one in SF.
Q: Is this something you generally replace at the same time you are swapping out he water heaters or can I just re-use the old one?

This is the first water heater I've had to buy. Any other suggestions on things to look for? I'm not going for a tankless unit. This is a mid-market priced rental.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
$500-600 to install ? Easy money.

You don't need to replace the expansion tank. They are installed if you have a recirculating system.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Verified it's not a bad expansion valve or drain? I've seen that occur and miss diagnosed as a leaky tank. I see this one was gas, and thought they typically last longer. I've had to replace the elements in my electric unit due to lime buildup.

But $1200-1300 installed sounds about right for a decent unit out there.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Verified it's not a bad expansion valve or drain? I've seen that occur and miss diagnosed as a leaky tank. I see this one was gas, and thought they typically last longer. I've had to replace the elements in my electric unit due to lime buildup.

I'm a few states away so I have a friend who is going to be the property manager checking it out before giving me the final word.
We will see.
I checked and Arvada has relatively soft water 158PPM or 9gpg (gulps per gallon? -- not sure what they are measuring there).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'm not going for a tankless unit.
FYI, for a tankless unit it's highly recommended that you get a soft water system (if you don't already have soft water) as it will destroy the tankless element. At least that's what I learned when I was looking for a new tankless water heater. I ended up going with a replacement water heater.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Reactions: RalphP and Zep5.0

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I have bought from Trunk Monkey Parts before .. Possibly Tbird parts. Been a long time since I havre done that. 🤔

You know what is a strange . Today, I called and scheduled a drug and alcohol screening test ( FOR MYSELF ) .. 😂

·
Registered
3,587 Posts

You may have been right about the pressure release valve. The house has been vacant for a month now as we are having some remodel work done before renting it out again (had to fix some stuff in the basement and anchor the basement wall along with a bunch of landscaping stuff to direct water away from the house).
Noone turned down the heat so the water heater was just perculating and building pressure so my friend suspects that the valve did its job. Its worth spending a few bucks on a new valve just to see if the leak goes away BEFORE blowing $1200-1300 on a new tank.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
You never said where the leak was coming from. Most leaky heaters I come across are rotted out and leak into the pan. If its your T&P valve ( pressure relief ) you might be able to cycle it to reseat the valve.

I am currently taking a training course for rainwater collection systems - its all about diversion. 🤔

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
M5R2 transmission, I imagine is what you're going to be swapping in?

·
Super Moderator
5,284 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,727 Posts
Just agreed to buy this to replace the wife's 07 (nothing wrong with it, but it does have over 190k and my parents desperately need/can't afford something - so we're giving it to them).

It'll be a bit before we take possession but we're excited for it. Nothing wrong that I could see, with 3 pages of items to review. Trunk space and lack of a spare tire are detractors for sure, but neither of us mind too much.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Big fan of cherry red?

I had a '12 Malibu in a similar color, a pearl tricoat. Loved that color- this looks similar. Sharp car.

Out of curiosity, how is the battery life on one of those? My BIL had a Volt, maybe a 12 or 13 model and hasn't had any issues so far.

1461 - 1480 of 1498 Posts