TCCoA Forums banner

1601 - 1620 of 1688 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Thanks. I'll try and do that this weekend if I've got time.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Do these caliper adapters look different to anyone? Supposedly they're the same adapter.

Set 1:

Set 2:

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
NVM, I think I figured it out. I was fixated on the "shape" of the adapter vs the actual location of the mounting holes.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
548 Posts
If you flip the image you see the holes do match. I can see the confusion as the design did change.

I'd like to know if these are better than the Brembo set-up, and how clearance to wheels compares. Expensive chunks of aluminum, though...

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
$315, to be exact. From reading around though, it seems to be easier to install and much less stuff to mess around with than the Fully Torqued Racing s197 GT500 kit. I guess that gives you need spacers for both the caliper and for the rotor to make it work. You also need to get longer wheel studs to make the FTR kit work. This kit, you don't (unless your wheel doesn't fit due to offset) need any of that.

I was pricing out EVERYTHING needed for both the ATS-V kit and this S550 kit, and it's only a price difference of $176 between the two. I guess the real question then is, is having 1 more inch of bite on a caliper worth $176?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Damn. The 04 Cobra calipers and rotors are a ton cheaper and I like living on the wild side. All motor, little brakes 😂

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Reactions: dDUBb

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
OK. Parts list updated to include brake pads now, lol. The cost difference for having 1 more inch of bite with the s550 is $185.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Yeah, you're right. When having spent all that money, what's an extra $200?

I still need to price in wheels and tires after these items. I'm guestimating somewhere around $1,600 for wheels and tires..... minimum.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I'm surprised that you haven't factored in new ARP wheel studs if your pile of hopes and dreams.
if you are keeping the stock ones, keep in mind that 25+ yr old studs of 90s domestic american metallurgy can actually shear off.
Nevermind. I see you have new hubs planned. Make sure your lugnuts will fit the new hub studs threading.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Nevermind. I see you have new hubs planned. Make sure your lugnuts will fit the new hub studs threading.
Even with my suspension build, I have new (5*108) hubs for front and rear.

For this brake / wheel upgrade, wouldn't the wheels come with lugs as an add-on option during purchase?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,334 Posts
Why stay 5x108? If you’re doing a big brake upgrade you may as well hub swap and increase your wheel selection by a significant amount, you can find really good deals on take off sets from Mustangs

I wouldn’t worry too much about domestic metallurgy, I have never seen or heard of people losing wheels from stud failure that didnt come with using some cheap adapter. Lugnuts are usually extra cost from wheel vendors

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Why stay 5x108? If you’re doing a big brake upgrade you may as well hub swap
I'm not going to be getting wheels until I do my brake upgrade. That's the next phase of plans for my car. I purchased new 5*108 hubs to have a fresh set on all 4 corners for now. With the brake upgrade, I'll be having 5*114 hubs on all 4 corners.

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The hub supports the vehicle load. Studs dont shear off until people start using wheels with a different hub bore and no hub centric adapters.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I purchased new 5*108 hubs to have a fresh set on all 4 corners for now.
I wouldn't replace the hubs until you do the brakes. The originals should be fine.

Front Mustang hubs cost shoot the same as ours, so you'd better off spending the money on those. The rears on mine will either be modded for the 5*4.5 or if the source on the FB page comes thru for Cobra style, I may buy new.

1601 - 1620 of 1688 Posts