TCCoA Forums banner

1621 - 1640 of 1688 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,334 Posts
Fulltiltboogieracing.com has IRS cobra spindles for sale now. I think prices start at $99 each.

Really doesnt make sense to keep the 5x108 pattern anymore.

Im still pissed Ford made them 5x108
I saw those recently, if they made those in 31 spline and a similarly reasonably priced(as in not the insane four figure price tag of the level 5s) 31 spline halfshaft ends I’d be really interested

Yeah, Ford had their heads up their asses with 5x108, it’s the fault of the Taurus, the engineers must have thought it would seem more international or something.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Im gonna be ordering a reman stock replacement 99 cobra axle pretty soon to check lengths. I got a couple Tbird ones but they were always really thin and an inch short.

Only reason Im looking is because getting used axles all the time, and then finding out theyre bad, is annoying. There are rebuild kits but since there is exactly zero axle boots that are big enough to fit our axles, theres no point.

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
The Cobra ones are a little shorter but they do work, I think vicrattlehead had 03-04 halfshafts with a 31 spline diff. The Axle thickness part I don’t think matters much, it’s the splines that consistently break when they do

·
Super Moderator
5,358 Posts
XR7-4.6 ...

RwP

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I wouldn't replace the hubs until you do the brakes. The originals should be fine.

Front Mustang hubs cost shoot the same as ours, so you'd better off spending the money on those. The rears on mine will either be modded for the 5*4.5 or if the source on the FB page comes thru for Cobra style, I may buy new.
Well, part of my suspension tear down is to replace the rear wheel bearings, which means rear hubs come off. Front hubs have the bearing built into them and they're cheap insurance.

I am going to go with 5x114 like I said, but that's not until later.

Fulltiltboogieracing.com has IRS cobra spindles for sale now. I think prices start at $99 each.

Really doesnt make sense to keep the 5x108 pattern anymore.
I forgotten about them! I'll revisit them when it's time buy rear hubs and check on availability then. IIRC, they do their hubs in batches and may not have availability. But if it's going to be worked on over time similarly to my suspension / transmission, I guess I'll have all the time in the world, lol.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I want opinions.

Since Im getting a lot of stuff for my 96, I think Im gonna save a little bit of money and not get a new set of wheels. I still have my black 17x8s so I plan to use them.

Question is, tires. I have 255/50s on them now. They look like truck tires at this point and barely clear the front suspension. So fronts are getting changed to 245/50s and that should fix that issue.

But the rears always looked small still. Width wise atleast.

Ive seen mustang guys do it, but I want your opinions. 275 tires on an 8 inch rim. Would you do it? The car isnt going to be used for carving corners. Itll be a show car/cruiser.

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
I don’t like 275s on anything less than a 9” wheel, both from a technical standpoint and a looks standpoint, and the best handling setup tire wise on these cars is square, steam rollers out back do no favors for a front heavy chassis, but as you said carving corners aren’t your forte.

IMO lower offset with 255s where the wheels are flush with the fenders looks more aggressive than 275s on a tucked in higher offset wheel.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
548 Posts
15*8, sure run a 275, due to the sidewall. On a 17, there's not enough sidewall for it to be functionaly safe.

·
Super Moderator
5,358 Posts
Wonder if they properly reinforced the rocker panels on the 'vert?

Facebook

RwP

·
Registered
760 Posts
but as you said carving corners aren’t your forte.
I like it, just this car wont be used for that. The only thing I plan to do with it is a single half mile drag to see what top speed I can get, but thatll be in like 20+ years.

And the rear wheels fit almost flush, so thats not the problem. I just dont like how skinny the tires look when Im looking at it from behind.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
548 Posts
I saw that too. The pictures are poor, but the fact it looks like the doors might open is a good sign.

Always thought the Cougar would look decent as a vert, and the concept car looked good, although I'm not big on any verts in general.

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
No Facebook, can’t see it😢

I like it, just this car wont be used for that. The only thing I plan to do with it is a single half mile drag to see what top speed I can get, but thatll be in like 20+ years.

And the rear wheels fit almost flush, so thats not the problem. I just dont like how skinny the tires look when Im looking at it from behind.
Trust me, I’ve had 275s on high offset on AMRs and 255s on low offset with my old 10th anniversaries, the old 255s looked wider and meatier viewed from the back, it’s sort of an optical illusion created by the more exposed treads accentuating the body tuck in. I even see the difference between my Annys and current brembo wheels, both with 255s but it looked better from the back before with the +26 vs the current +36

This isn’t very flush. It’s not very productive since you’re not changing wheels, and I think it would take too much spacer for safety to get them truly flush, but if you saw how they’d look from behind truly flush I think you’d be surprised. I think +30 is THE offset for 17x8”

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
You can now call me either an over-achieving parent or an ill-prepared parent 🤣🤣🤣

Last night I got my kids in bed at a reasonable time considering that school is "starting again". I set the older kid's alarm and she wakes up at 6:50. She gets herself dressed and eats her breakfast. I wake up the younger one at 7:20 het gets dressed and eats his breakfast.

Around 7:50am I'm asking my daughter to login to her Google Classroom (meet) and am trying to get my son logged in to his (new teacher) classroom at about the same time. Both kids get errors along the lines of "You cannot create a meet for yourself". I'm like, "WTF dude? It's already 8am and kids are able to login as early as 7:45. I send messages to both teachers asking what's going on and if there's an issue with Google Meets / Classroom. No response. I keep looking around "troubleshooting" why my kids can't login. It's then that I get a lightbulb moment.

I go to the district website to see the annual schedule. I navigate through to Winter Break, and I see it.

"Winter Break: Dec 24, 2020 - Jan 8, 2021"

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,904 Posts
Ooops!

Otherwise it sounds like the Meet settings are correct. Early on we got complaints from a lot of teachers that kids were getting into the Meet calls before the teachers. The first person to join the Meet would get controls over muting, ejecting participants, recording etc....

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
It's a russian invasion (of sorts) by way of Italy.
Bremach Taos is based on the UAZ Patriot and will MSRP for $26K

Brio will be $27K.

IMO, they got the features/price point right.
I'm wondering when the last Russian design car was ever sold in the US?
The YUGO was Yugoslavian and was based on an old licensed Fiat 127 (Italian).

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
It's a russian invasion (of sorts) by way of Italy.
Bremach Taos is based on the UAZ Patriot and will MSRP for $26K

Brio will be $27K.

IMO, they got the features/price point right.
I'm wondering when the last Russian design car was ever sold in the US?
The YUGO was Yugoslavian and was based on an old licensed Fiat 127 (Italian).
There was an effort to bring UAZ in in the 90s, Motorweek even previewed them before it fell through

“Put it in H!”

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
What do you do if someone close to you is becoming a conspiracy theorist? Where they ask you the "did you see this?" and "what do you think about this?" but are blatant lies and / or stories that have been severely twisted?

Like, do you try and explain that the information they've found is incorrect and try and bump them in the right direction? What if even after having done that they still don't believe what you present to them? Do you just ignore them all together at that point? Or do you just nod your head and "agree" with them?

Today's conversation was that the CDC has reviewed their COVID death rates and that people have been dying of regular things. That during autopsy, they did a COVID panel where they died of COVID, but during the autopsy there was no COVID found. That their cause of death was because of an actual heart attack, pneumonia, etc.

I went to the CDC's website and found nothing of the sort.

Transcript: CDC Update on COVID-19 | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

1621 - 1640 of 1688 Posts