TCCoA Forums banner

1641 - 1660 of 1688 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
548 Posts
I don't like to argue, per se. I do like to present facts. In this case, unfortunately there are people known to me that were counted as Covid deaths (shows on the death certificate) but died of completely unrelated causes, and we're not known to have Covid (car accident, was one in particular). So I can see the concern. What counters that concern is the total number of deaths for 2020 as of a month ago was something like 3-400,000 more than 2019. Years fluctuate, so not necessarily all Covid, but enough there to show it truly exists.

If they can come up with another cause for the inflated deaths, might be good to walk away..

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,334 Posts
What do you do if someone close to you is becoming a conspiracy theorist? Where they ask you the "did you see this?" and "what do you think about this?" but are blatant lies and / or stories that have been severely twisted?

Like, do you try and explain that the information they've found is incorrect and try and bump them in the right direction? What if even after having done that they still don't believe what you present to them? Do you just ignore them all together at that point? Or do you just nod your head and "agree" with them?

Today's conversation was that the CDC has reviewed their COVID death rates and that people have been dying of regular things. That during autopsy, they did a COVID panel where they died of COVID, but during the autopsy there was no COVID found. That their cause of death was because of an actual heart attack, pneumonia, etc.

I went to the CDC's website and found nothing of the sort.

Transcript: CDC Update on COVID-19 | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

See how I handle the discussion of MN12 bracing and rear spring perches 😉

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
121 Posts
My whole family thinks the election was stolen and that the covid numbers have been inflated as a power grab, etc, etc. It's really disturbing, and I get that they aren't going to believe the news as reported by their local ABC affiliates, but yeah... At some point when you're believing who you want to believe despite their being contradicted by all mainstream sources 🤷 idk what you do.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,904 Posts
Hopefully most of that crowd "settles down" in the next couple years. Though we'll never be quite where we were 4-5 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,904 Posts
I've been looking through resources on another forum related to our new-to-us Fusion Energi and I got schooled today on the basic concepts of the Ford eCVT. Really a rather fascinating little device - now that I understand how it works, I understand why the fluid change interval on the transmission is a whopping 150,000 miles! I'm also very relieved that it's nothing like a traditional CVT, which I hear is quite the Pandora's box when it fails.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,334 Posts
My whole family thinks the election was stolen and that the covid numbers have been inflated as a power grab, etc, etc. It's really disturbing, and I get that they aren't going to believe the news as reported by their local ABC affiliates, but yeah... At some point when you're believing who you want to believe despite their being contradicted by all mainstream sources 🤷 idk what you do.
Honestly I think the only thing to do is wait it out, wait until covid 19 is under control which will happen one way or another sooner or later, wait until there isn’t a political messiah in power (off topic, but it’s painfully ironic how that’s how trumpers percieved democrats who loved Obama’s every move), and I think the intensity of the rhetoric will actually calm. There will be stragglers, but there always are and always have been, hopefully they won’t be in your family (crossing my fingers for mine, particularly my cousins, one of which attended two MAGA rallys). One thing I have learned is to truly hate something is to have once loved it, and it wouldn’t surprise me if trumpers get quite disillusioned with what has happened and reflect on what was actually accomplished.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I truly wonder if some of these folks will realize they got conned (esp those who just donated money to "stop the steal").

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
121 Posts
Honestly I think the only thing to do is wait it out, wait until covid 19 is under control which will happen one way or another sooner or later, wait until there isn’t a political messiah in power (off topic, but it’s painfully ironic how that’s how trumpers percieved democrats who loved Obama’s every move), and I think the intensity of the rhetoric will actually calm. There will be stragglers, but there always are and always have been, hopefully they won’t be in your family (crossing my fingers for mine, particularly my cousins, one of which attended two MAGA rallys). One thing I have learned is to truly hate something is to have once loved it, and it wouldn’t surprise me if trumpers get quite disillusioned with what has happened and reflect on what was actually accomplished.
Yeah, I've already tried arguing with them, and the results were not promising 😂 I'm waving the white flag. If they don't come around on their own, I don't think they're going to come around. At this point, at least I can see definite advantages to living as far from family as we do.

·
Super Moderator
13,420 Posts
Yeah, I've already tried arguing with them, and the results were not promising 😂 I'm waving the white flag. If they don't come around on their own, I don't think they're going to come around. At this point, at least I can see definite advantages to living as far from family as we do.
The best - and I'm sure hardest - thing to do is to scale back your contact with them. I hope you have a good circle of close friends or at least one family member that you can fall back on without support from the rest of the family. Personally, I've dialed back my contact with my own family as a result of both the pandemic and their right-wing views.

As I told my uncle even before the election that this would not end well. I did text my Uncle on Wednesday and contact him again this morning by email to give him the "I told you so" that it would come to this. He, like many other tRump supporters since the election, has remained silent.

Anyway, best wishes Lenise

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
121 Posts
The best - and I'm sure hardest - thing to do is to scale back your contact with them. I hope you have a good circle of close friends or at least one family member that you can fall back on without support from the rest of the family. Personally, I've dialed back my contact with my own family as a result of both the pandemic and their right-wing views.

As I told my uncle even before the election that this would not end well. I did text my Uncle on Wednesday and contact him again this morning by email to give him the "I told you so" that it would come to this. He, like many other tRump supporters since the election, has remained silent.

Anyway, best wishes Lenise
Thanks. We do have a life beyond politics, so I think we'll get through this. I'm actually very conservative and I just don't understand how conservatives could support Trump. He's not conservative 🤦 I do think my parents stopped giving money to all of them finally. Hopefully they are coming to their senses 🤞🙏 My sister-in-law and brother-in-law I'm ok with not talking to in general 😂

·
Registered
548 Posts
Anyone happen to know M5R2 vs T45 length comparison? Would an aluminum driveshaft for a T45 work on the M5? Assuming it's too long.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
The T45 shaft will be too long. The correct length for a T45 shaft in an MN12 is 57.5” centerline to centerline. For the M5R2 it is I think 53”. Of course you could have the T45 shaft shortened to work with the M5R2.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
548 Posts
The T45 shaft will be too long
Thanks, that's what I was finding in a search but wasn't sure. Instead of paying for shipping, cost of used one and then cutting and rebalancing, new may make more sense. Then I can verify it will hold up to my power plans. (450-500 crank hp)

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Honestly the cheapest way out is to hit up a local junkyard and grab one out of a CVPI and have that shortened. Those are 56.5", and you can usually pick up a used one for $50, then pay a local driveshaft shop probably $200-250 to shorten and rebalance it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
And plenty strong for a built 347/M5R2?

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
Yup. Strength is usually not an issue with driveshafts, unless you are talking about crazy high horsepower drag cars. The issue is how fast you can spin it, and a balanced aluminum driveshaft will be much better than a steel one.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
It'd be awesome if someone made 18" Fanblade wheels in 5*114. Largest made were for the Fox Cobra and those were 17" IIRC?

1641 - 1660 of 1688 Posts