TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know autozone does this for free...but I am looking for a cheap code reader for my car. Wish I had a laptop...so many cool programs for laptops.

has anyone tried this thing?

http://www.auterraweb.com/

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Hmmm.. So I'd need a palm pilot and their software. Interesting. Aren't there OBDII scanners out there for less total cost? (I don't have a Palm Pilot)

Edit: Autozone no longer performs a KOEO test for free. There is apparently some injunction against them because it takes diagnostic business away from repair shops.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...I also have neither palm or reader...I just came across that and was curious. Still looking for a cheap code reader though :)

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
Hmmm.. So I'd need a palm pilot and their software. Interesting. Aren't there OBDII scanners out there for less total cost? (I don't have a Palm Pilot)

Edit: Autozone no longer performs a KOEO test for free. There is apparently some injunction against them because it takes diagnostic business away from repair shops.
here in MI they do em for free still.
they sell the orange ones that they use at auto zone for like $130 i think or something like that .

Jurgen

·
Registered
890 Posts
Here Pep Boys sells the orange OBDII scanners for $149.99

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Jurgen said:

here in MI they do em for free still.
they sell the orange ones that they use at auto zone for like $130 i think or something like that .

Jurgen
yeah, the Actron scanners:)

joseph

·
Registered
484 Posts
They still scan for free here in Arkansas. How could you get an injunction against a buisness for something like that? Anyway, I like the software that uses a laptop and a cable. Ive seen it at a Mercedes place one of my bro in laws works at. Same idea as the palm, but a cheap laptop good enough to run it will cost you the same, and will be much easier to read and use. I would love to get one and hook it to my truck just for fun.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Jurgen said:
:uppoint: i'll keep that in mind thanks
actron actually makes some really good electronics for automotive use.

joseph

·
Registered
970 Posts
and what does autotap run? $250?

And then with autotap you can log parameters....view most everything the EEC is seeing.....not to mention make a cool little guage pod out of your computer screen...
....not to mention read codes....

(this of course means you need a laptop)

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
94Tbird UMWTC Prez said:
and what does autotap run? $250?

And then with autotap you can log parameters....view most everything the EEC is seeing.....not to mention make a cool little guage pod out of your computer screen...
....not to mention read codes....

(this of course means you need a laptop)
Autotap is sweet, my friend has it for his 13sec GTP. everything is as real time as it gets, it even shows the .5 degree of spark knock he gets. i figure, you can get a laptop stripped of the unnecessary stuff on windows and run just autotap. a used laptop is something around 200$ and ive seen autotap on ebay for 150$.

joseph

·
Registered
493 Posts
Autozone actually DOES the test for ya? Wow.

I just run in, "Hey, can I borrow the Ford OBD-I scanner?" and they hand it over.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah they do the test, unless I see the guy is a moron, like when I had my father in laws 96 XR7 there. I took it from him, he didnt even know where to plug it in at....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I'm scared of anyone who works at Pepboy's or Autozone... No offense if anyone here works there...but generally the employees aren't much help.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
anyone has some links to a few programs i can load into my laptop?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have access to a laptop, check out scantool.net. The cool thing about this one is it will also allow you view some of your sensors real time. Price is 85 without case and 110 with. You can actually buy the individual parts from them and build it even cheaper if you are a DIYer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts