TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 96 TBird, with a 4.6 Today.
I am wondering what are some cheap and easy mods I could do to it.
Dont know much about the mod motors, I have had all 5.0's.
Thanks a bunch in advance. Nate

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
other than removing the silencer.... erm... i did have a thread in general tech.. the best free mods.. had some good posts.. just do a search for it. that should elp you out.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Cheap and 4.6 should not be used in the same sentence.

Wait a minute.... I just did....

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I wouldnt even touch the motor yet. Do a search for the J-mod, its a relatively cheap transmission valve body modification. Also maybe look into a cat-back exhaust? Those usually aren't too spendy. Maybe a chip as well. Lower gears are also rather popular and effective on these sleds, although not quite as cheap.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I have a non-pi intake w/ulum crossover with about 10k miles if your new ride has the
composite intake .
I would let it go really cheap +shipping .

Also have non pi heads in excellent condition if you want to install pi cams
In them , again really cheap +shipping .

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
do a pi intake swap on her and jmod it and if u have the money get an xcal2 from lonnie and youll be happy. It will make the car run and shift so much nicer. that shouldnt cost more than $650

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
gears are best bang for the buck. imo

·
Registered
21 Posts
other than removing the silencer.... erm... i did have a thread in general tech.. the best free mods.. had some good posts.. just do a search for it. that should elp you out.
what is this ---silencer--- i hear about removen please explain im new to the 4.6 world as well thanks

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
remove your air box and panel filter and you will find 3 screws holding a moderate-huge piece of plastic in place under the fenderwell... the silencer is that piece, you don't want it or need it, so get rid of it, you'll probably like how it sounds without it as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
remove your air box and panel filter and you will find 3 screws holding a moderate-huge piece of plastic in place under the fenderwell... the silencer is that piece, you don't want it or need it, so get rid of it, you'll probably like how it sounds without it as well.
I was checking that last sunday, I saw the 3 screws holding down that piece of plastic, I didn't think it was that restrictive so I left it in place and also left it there because it seems that if I remove it, the air box won't be held in place.

Any of you guys have a complete pic of the silencer, cause I think mine is broken, maybe that's why I dont think is that restrictive (unlike the one that was in my Ranger).

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
J-mod, new "custom" torque converter from dirtyd0g, gears and tune. . . .this should set you back about $800-$900. After these mods your driveline is better built to withstand the engine mods you can make next for higher dollars! :D

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
490/ rebuilt Pi heads
100/markviii tc
200/pi intake and gaskets
100/head changing kit
200/modded vb
70/cold air intake
120/ud pulleys
80/Windsor valve covers and top 8 timing cover bolts (you need these if
you install Windsor heads .
350/ 99 cobra diff w/4.10 trac lok
Thats what I have spent!

·
Super Moderator
12,727 Posts
You can tell the difference from smaller tires,even...

I put a set of 215-55/15 tires on, when part of my drive was one of my favorite curvy roads; You can tell the difference just from that...the only downside is the tires wear faster, and the steering gets twitchy at high speeds.

I was buying tires anyway, and it really handles great, and the acceleration is wonderful...I can't imagine what a 4.xx set of gears on these feels like.

You do need good shocks, ball joints, etc for thrashing curves in these, but they handle great!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I was checking that last sunday, I saw the 3 screws holding down that piece of plastic, I didn't think it was that restrictive so I left it in place and also left it there because it seems that if I remove it, the air box won't be held in place.

Any of you guys have a complete pic of the silencer, cause I think mine is broken, maybe that's why I dont think is that restrictive (unlike the one that was in my Ranger).
I don't have a pic of it...it went in the garbage as soon as I pulled it out. It's a U shaped tube...mainly to keep water out of the intake and knock down the intake air noise (when you pull it off it should have a faint whistle to it and make engine sound a little more throaty), which its main purpose.

Pull off the airbox and unbolt that stupid 3 pound piece of plastic off. It can be a PITA to get out depending on how you pull it out (if you take off the wheel it's very easy, if you pull it out through the hole at the bottom, it's a PITA). It serves no purpose and drives absolutely the same when it's off. You just have a little throaty growl to your intake vs no noise at all.

Just bolt the airbox back down with those bolts and put the nuts on the end. It's even easy to get the wrench down in the hole to hold the nuts while you torque the bolt heads down.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

I don't have a pic of it...it went in the garbage as soon as I pulled it out. It's a U shaped tube...mainly to keep water out of the intake and knock down the intake air noise (when you pull it off it should have a faint whistle to it and make engine sound a little more throaty), which its main purpose.

Pull off the airbox and unbolt that stupid 3 pound piece of plastic off. It can be a PITA to get out depending on how you pull it out (if you take off the wheel it's very easy, if you pull it out through the hole at the bottom, it's a PITA). It serves no purpose and drives absolutely the same when it's off. You just have a little throaty growl to your intake vs no noise at all.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
J-mod, new "custom" torque converter from dirtyd0g, gears and tune. . . .this should set you back about $800-$900. After these mods your driveline is better built to withstand the engine mods you can make next for higher dollars! :D
J-mod ~ $100
cheap, used gears (3.55 TL in a stock pumpkin) - $250 and you just have to swap diffs
tune ~ $150
custom TC from alan - $550 for the cheapest 10'' he offers in the GP

$800 without gears. The TC is nice, but if you're not even PI, then you're really missing out on the potential of the TC. A cat-back exhaust would be better IMO since you get the attention factor plus some nice free flowing exhaust.

The cheapest and best mods IMO:
Gears
tune (Xcal, but definately not cheap)
TUNE UP
J-mod
PBR upgrade
Get rid of the violin case on the 94/95's

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This weekend will remove the air silenceer and probably save for catback exhaust and go from there. Thanks so far for ideas. Got lotr to learn on these motors. Lots different from the 5.0

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
My first mod was a set of gears.Not that cheap but very worth the money.Best modification I ever did though was the PI swap.Just remember,Anything with with PI in front of it is good!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What does the PI swap all involve. Not sure what everyone is talking about when mentioned

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.