TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three inexpensive repairs I've done to my 1997 bird:

1. Driver window stuck mid-way. Sprayed silicone into tracks. Fixed.
2. Moon roof shade hard to move. Sprayed silicone into tracks. Fixed.
3. Hazard flasher button wouldn't activate flashers. Sprayed silicone down into switch. Fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Spray the door, trunk and hood latches and you turned a cheap fix into preventive maintenance!

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
If you spray all the grease out of the hood latch, door latch, or seat latch assembly with silicone, you will severely regret it. :)

They will rust up solid in no time; use white lithium or moly grease for those things, not silicone spray.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Here's the cheap fix flowchart for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
use white lithium or moly grease for those things, not silicone spray.
+1

Another thing I have seen recommended by a lot of people is spraying WD-40 into a sticky door lock. Damn, spend $4 on powdered graphite and do it right!

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
I had a 1981 subaru, and the seat position tilt lever stuck.

So I sprayed it down with WD, and it worked fine.

Forgot about it for a year. :)

Next time I went to move it, there was rust bulging out the plastic cover, and it was one solid piece. :surprise:

I asked my uncle, and he told me I washed all the grease out, and humidity did the rest. :facepalm:

I now dissolve thin white lithium or moly grease in light oil, and apply it with a small paintbrush, dripping it into the plates that make up the mechanism. (if you use axle grease, it will be too stiff to work well.)

I have taken a whole door latch out, soaked it in a bucket of this mess, and put it back in, just to be sure. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
Window motor spins but glass doesn't go up or down? Remove motor and replace broken plastic dowels with 3 1/4-20 nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts