TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
I second, third, fourth, or whatever the external transmission cooler.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,513 Posts
When my original radiator started to leak I drove it daily for almost two years afterwards before the PI headswap gave me a convenient excuse to swap it out. 60 miles with a pinhole leak in the radiator (which is what a radiator failure amounts to most of the time) is much more probable making it back than without a serpentine belt, even without stops. A bad radiator isn’t going to dump all the coolant out without something blunt going through it, and at that point you have bigger problems.

If you have a heat pump of a roots blower under the hood, attached to an engine whose pistons alone are worth as much as the rolling chassis, spending $$$ on a fancy radiator is worth the peace of mind, but for a regular driver or basically any NA combination, I’m sorry, but it’s just not remotely worth the expense. Stock replacement is fine, my Cobra radiator is an upgrade over it with the extra core thickness but it’s still only a humble 1 core design, and I’ve literally parked it in traffic on 100° humid Chicago summer days with the A/C blasting, temperature gauge has never budged past O in NORM.

And there are times penny pinching works. Harbor freight has built a business on selling a bunch of garbage tools for cheap, but also selling a few gems that work and hold up as well as what they’re copied from if you’re not picky about aesthetic presentation or pride of origin. With cars I do stand by never skimping on safety items - suspension/tires/brakes, or something ludicrously time consuming to replace like the fuel pump or heater core - but when it comes to something like a radiator? Eh. It’s easy to replace and if it holds up it will probably continue to for a while.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
When my original radiator started to leak I drove it daily for almost two years afterwards before the PI headswap gave me a convenient excuse to swap it out. 60 miles with a pinhole leak in the radiator (which is what a radiator failure amounts to most of the time) is much more probable making it back than without a serpentine belt, even without stops. A bad radiator isn’t going to dump all the coolant out without something blunt going through it, and at that point you have bigger problems.

If you have a heat pump of a roots blower under the hood, attached to an engine whose pistons alone are worth as much as the rolling chassis, spending $$$ on a fancy radiator is worth the peace of mind, but for a regular driver or basically any NA combination, I’m sorry, but it’s just not remotely worth the expense. Stock replacement is fine, my Cobra radiator is an upgrade over it with the extra core thickness but it’s still only a humble 1 core design, and I’ve literally parked it in traffic on 100° humid Chicago summer days with the A/C blasting, temperature gauge has never budged past O in NORM.

And there are times penny pinching works. Harbor freight has built a business on selling a bunch of garbage tools for cheap, but also selling a few gems that work and hold up as well as what they’re copied from if you’re not picky about aesthetic presentation or pride of origin. With cars I do stand by never skimping on safety items - suspension/tires/brakes, or something ludicrously time consuming to replace like the fuel pump or heater core - but when it comes to something like a radiator? Eh. It’s easy to replace and if it holds up it will probably continue to for a while.
Couldn't agree more. Better things to spend you $$$ on than a super radiator for a stock car.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts