TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok today i went to advanced auto and autozone and had my codes read...these are the ones that came out...

p0135---o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
p1131---insuff. switching control valve sensor/lean
p1132---insuff. switching control valve sensor/rich
p1151--- HO2S bank 2 sen 1 insuff. switching lean mean (party machine?? lol)
p0172--- system too rich (bank 1)

now the car was warm when they checked it..Im getting terrible gas mileage(61 miles from full to half tank) and every now and then it idles terrible and chuggs while driving at any speed...it stops momentarally when you put it to the floor and when you let off of it it will start chugging again. Usually after flooring it about 10-15 times it will stop chugging and drive just like new (except still the same crappy gas mileage)

any idea what needs to be replaced?? its about to roll 150k prob next week and id like to keep it for another 150k..any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the codes came out in that order... I just cleaned the k&n filter a month ago i didnt do the MAF yet though i will try that tomorow....does it sound like it could be the first two o2 sensors? thats what the dumb *ss i mean the mechanic at auto zone said but i figure that you all will know better than them

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I do not buy two bad O2 sensor's at this point though after the problem is fixed I will consider cleaning them with a propane torch.

My first check will be to clean the MAF. Possibly oil from the K&N has fouled it. While I ma there I will check for air leaks after the MAF, vacuum leaks, PCV and confirm that the oil dip stick is seated.

Next I will check will be the fuel pressure regulator. Have you smelled any gas lately? If so the fuel filter can be bad.

HTML:
: P1130 - Lack of HO2S   : The HEGO Sensor is     :    Electrical:         : A fuel control HO2S    :
: -11 Switch, Fuel Trim  : monitored for          :   *  Short to VPWR in  : PID switching across   :
: at Limit               : switching. The test    :      harness or HO2S   : 0.45 volt from 0.2 to  :
:                        : fails when the HO2S    :   *  Water in harness  : 0.9 volt indicates a   :
:                        : fails to switch due to :      connector         : normal switching HO2S. :
:                        : circuit or fuel at or  :   *  Open/Shorted HO2S :
:                        : exceeding a calibrated :      circuit           :
:                        : limit.                 :   *  Corrosion or poor :
:                        :                        :      mating terminals  :
:                        :                        :      and wiring        :
:                        :                        :   *  Damaged HO2S      :
:                        :                        :   *  Damaged PCM       :
:                        :                        :    Fuel System:        :
:                        :                        :   *  Excessive fuel    :
:                        :                        :      pressure          :
:                        :                        :   *  Leaking           :
:                        :                        :      /contaminated     :
:                        :                        :      fuel injectors    :
:                        :                        :   *  Leaking fuel      :
:                        :                        :      pressure          :
:                        :                        :      regulator         :
:                        :                        :   *  Low fuel pressure :
:                        :                        :      or running out of :
:                        :                        :      fuel              :
:                        :                        :   *  Vapor recovery    :
:                        :                        :      system            :
:                        :                        :    Induction System:   :
:                        :                        :   *  Air leaks after   :
:                        :                        :      the MAF           :
:                        :                        :   *  Vacuum Leaks      :
:                        :                        :   *  PCV system        :
:                        :                        :   *  Improperly seated :
:                        :                        :      engine oil        :
:                        :                        :      dipstick          :
:                        :                        :    EGR System:         :
:                        :                        :   *  Leaking gasket    :
:                        :                        :   *  Stuck EGR valve   :
:                        :                        :   *  Leaking diaphragm :
:                        :                        :      or EVR            :
:                        :                        :    Base Engine:        :
:                        :                        :   *  Oil overfill      :
:                        :                        :   *  Cam timing        :
:                        :                        :   *  Cylinder          :
:                        :                        :      compression       :
:                        :                        :   *  Exhaust leaks     :
:                        :                        :      before or near    :
:                        :                        :      the HO2S(s)       :

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
dude they arent mechanics at autozone they just sell you parts and pick up some car knowledge but sometimes they are ASE certified but that just means they know what the hell a book says about problems. damn im 17 and they considered hiring me not to say i dont know about cars but its not like ive been to school for this. but they changed their mind about the position and that was that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im not really sure what to do so im just gonna take it into the shop after jan 9 and have them try and figure it out. I dont really know as much about cars as i wished that i did so most of what is said is lost on me, like how do you check for a vacuum leak? is the pcv located on the pass side vavle cover? if so when i had the oil changed they replaced a hose that was connected to it with electrical tape...however that didnt make any change in the way it is running....

oh well thanks guys for trying to help this dumb noob!!

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
K&N Filter + MAF = bad. Clean those wires with isopropyl alchohol and a cotton swab. Carefully... theres an article about doing it in the tech articles. That might clear up some of the problems. =P

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AnthraxBird said:
K&N Filter + MAF = bad. Clean those wires with isopropyl alchohol and a cotton swab. Carefully... theres an article about doing it in the tech articles. That might clear up some of the problems. =P

whats wrong with using a K&N with a MAF??

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
A filter like a K&N is an oil coated filter. What happens is that some of the oil can get on the MAF wires and crap them up. When that happens it throws the MAF readings off and the computer gets faulty information to work off of.

·
3,090 Posts
Darrin said:
it throws the MAF readings off and the computer gets faulty information to work off of.
Exactly, like throwing an O2 code, which means it's either too rich or too lean. A dirty MAF will cause your car to run rich, or it could also put it into a lean condition, resulting in the EEC throwing a code at ya. Trust me, clean those MAF wires. I had a K&N in my old tbird, ran great for like 19k, then I got a 174 code. So I replaced all of the O2's (all 4 at 80 a piece...) and it didn't clear it. Cleaned the MAF and bam, fixxed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i cleaned the MAF using the tech article i then reset the ecu? by pulling out fuse #15 in the engine compartment started it back up and let it run for about a minute (had been sitting overnight) shut it off and the C.E.L stayed off HORAY!!! i went inside changed and went to go to wally world started it up and right away that darn C.E.L. popped right back on..I took it to Avanced and had the codes ran again and this time the only one was the p0135... so cleaning the MAF took care of the other 4 codes which is good. now if only i could get this one taken care of!!!! GRRRR

·
3,090 Posts
take out the O2 sensors, and put a propane torch to the end that goes in the exhaust tube, then clean em up a little after your done. If it comes back on, I would just go ahead and buy 2 new O2's. What you really need is a good scan tool that can show you what your o2's are doing, snap on has an awesome tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts