TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Don't blame the messenger! Both sides are rich would indicate it is something common to both sides at fault. What are the codes, p0172 and p0175?

For lean and rich DTCs:

Fuel system Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.

Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
Vapor recovery system.
Induction system:
- Air leaks after the MAF.
- Vacuum Leaks.
- PCV system.
- Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.

EGR system:
- Leaking gasket.
- Stuck EGR valve.
- Leaking diaphragm or EVR.
Base Engine:
- Oil overfill.
- Cam timing.

- Cylinder compression.
- Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.

·
5,650 Posts
The MAF is dirty, open it up and clean it my car had the same problem.
A dirty MAF typically causes lean codes, not rich.

Im not sure what the exact code is. i got it scanned at o'reilys and all it said was banks 1 and 2 are running rich. where do i get the exact letter/number code from?
You have to get the exact code from them. It appears on the scanner with a short description, and they just read you the description.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As long as your O2 sensors catalyst material isn't contaminated and it's just clogged up with a bunch of soot, you can clean it an reuse it instead of replacing it. DON'T use any chemical sprays, just brush the carbon off and if it's really scaled up, lightly heat up the end of the O2sensor with a propane torch and then dunk it in cold water and the scale will just flake right off. Usually, new replacements are the best bet, but in this economy, getting just a little bit more use out of stuff like plugs and sensors is sometimes the only option.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
Check the IAC (idle air control) valve. It's most likely your culprit.
If it runs with your foot on the throttle, this is probably it.

You can take it off and clean it, but I'd replace it.

Not enough air=too rich; the engine only knows what it's telling the iac to be set at, there's no feedback...except for the o2 sensors.

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Ditto for me

Hey I'm following this thread too - changed the intake manifold on my '97 with the new Dorman one with the aluminum crossover and now I've got a rough running issue - everything seems fine and my MAF sparkles.

ADDED: My car doesn't seem to like an aggressive throttle and definitely not a wide-open throttle! It seems to "backfire" either through the throttle body or the exhaust - I can feel it in the pedals pretty good.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts