TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the freeway about 70mph, about 5 miles or so. The check engine light came on. My bird has about 96,000 miles on it and it's stock except exhaust and k&n panel filter. A local auto parts store does the testing for codes and I figured I would clean my air filter and MAF before I go down there and test it. I also changed the plugs to autolite platiums (it had motorcraft platiums in it). Anyway after I got done the light didn't come back on. I cleared the computer, I always disconnect my battery when I work on my cars. ( got the $^#& shocked out of me once and since then I disconnect the battery). How longs does it usally take for the code to come back after you clear the computer?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
When it was a plug problem for me it would come back 5 minutes after clearing it until the plugs were changed.
right now I have a O2 sensor problem. It doesnt come on except for long, hot trips. Then after about 5 hours straight of driving or so it will come on.
Those are just my experiences. If the light is not there now then dont worry until and if it comes back.

-Shawn

·
Registered
51 Posts
No Worry

If it doesn't come back on...then don't worry about it......that's always the route to go. No sense in trying to find a problem that isn't there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did the right things

When I first bought my '94 (used), I experienced similar problems (but at an earlier engine age-about 60k). It turned out that the MAF just needed cleaning, and that was the end of it. I haven't had any the problem since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts