TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some help. i had the check engine light come on in my car. so i took it to an auto shop and they checked it out out said something is messed up in the EGR. i kinda know that the egr involves reusing exhaust or something like that. could somebody tell me exactly what an egr is and if there is any known problems with them in our birds. thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Seriously dude, there is a lot of info on this subject on these forums. all ya gotta do is :search:

·
Administrator
8,247 Posts
Did they tell you what the code was?

Joe

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
there are several codes that is could throw that pertain to the EGR, and they all give different specific information that would help you in finding the problem and fixing it. If you paid them to do it and didnt give you any further information Id get my money back if I were you.

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It's a valve that connects a line from the passenger side exhaust downtube up to the back of the upper intake manifold. If you look at your engine, you'll see a little round disc UFO looking things right behind the throttle body, thats the valve, the sensor is about 1" away from it, it's gray and cube shaped, clipped onto a metal bracket. The code could have read, EGR circuit above maximum voltage, below minimum voltage, insufficient airflow, valve constantly open, etc. There are very many things that could be wrong with it.

-Thomas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts