TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a tranny fluid flush, and 10 minutes later the CEL starts flashing. I stopped and checked everything. Nothing under the hood, engine idles fine, no coolant/oil/tranny fluid leaks within visual inspection. No smoke of any kind from the pipes. Engine revs good to 4,000rpm (no need to rev higher in park, if it's gonna rev funny at all, it'll do it between idle and 4 grand, no?). Temp was between Cold and Normal, oil pressure gauge read half notch between Norm and the first dash (custom gauges based on 1/8 dashes) so just a hair passed Norm. Voltage was Norm (hooked up voltage tester in cigarette lighter, read between 12.9 and 13.2. No pulley or accessary noises. No engine abnormal noises (knocking/grinding/whinning) just the slight rattle of the PVC valve and click of the A/C clutch. Tranny wasn't making any noises.

Originally the mechanic flushed it with Dexron III/Mercon fluid, I had him re-flush it with Mercon V. ($25 difference) So what's the deal? Tranny doesn't shift too badly (shifts a bit rough, but it's been rebuilt within the year, and went 15,000 miles before another fluid flush.). It doesn't slip or miss gears. Kind rough on downshift (if braking real hard it kinda *slams* into the next gear as it downshifts, sounds like a muffled *thunk.* Doesn't sound too painfull.

It doesn't happen right away either. If I just start the car after it sits for a while, I'll drive around for 5-10 minutes and then it starts flashing. If I stop at a light and put it in neutral for like a minute, it stops flashing, but will start again randomly after that. (I say random because I can't catch anything "funny" happening before it starts flashing or to 'cause a CEL to flash.) Sometimes it stops flash while driving down the road.

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong, not even sure if it has anything to do with the Tranny at all. But it does make me kinda nervous. Like a ticking time-bomb kinda thing.

I don't get it. My bird runs great, CEL or not, but it still flashes even though driving quality hasn't changed. Hell I was doing 105 down the freeway with the CEL flashing, didn't seem to hinder the bird any. (probably not a wise thing to do, considering.)

Any idea's?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
get the code scanned, its the only real way to know where to even start.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mercon V is used in 97 and newer It could be the Mercon V in your transmission would probably be the reason why it Jumps... From 94-97 they have the Same AODE from - 93- They used the AOD so I'd try putting the Mercon III back in it...

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
no, Mercon V is the best to use, period. Dont put that Mercon III junk back in. Also, there was NEVER an AODE in an mn12 or fn10, they went right from AOD's to 4r70w's.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Thomas said:
no, Mercon V is the best to use, period. Dont put that Mercon III junk back in. Also, there was NEVER an AODE in an mn12 or fn10, they went right from AOD's to 4r70w's.
Is the 4R70W not an AODE (automative overdrive - electric) tranny?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
they are very similar, but the gear ratio is different, and so is the name. Just clarifying :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ahhh, see, ya learn something new everyday. Well, I do anyway.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just as an FYI, 4R70W is an initialism, too.

4 speed, Rear-wheel-drive, 70 torque rating, Wide-ratio.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Okay, the codes are as follows, keep in mind I don't have a '96 3.8, i have a 2000 3.8 replacement engine, if that helps.

I know the 1443 is an evap code... what, replace my gas cap?

301-305 are misfires on cylinders 1 and 5.... wth? Okay, might explain for loss of power. So I replaced all my spark plugs (seemed logical) but it still says misfire. I did regain my power though. Engine doesn't seem to idle funny or anything. Horrible noise from the A/C though. I think that one's done for. Doesn't explain misfire? What are the causes of misfire? Remedy?
171- Okay, too lean bank 1. As in, o2 sensors? I just replaced all 4 of them on both cats, before and afters.

My theory on both the 171, 301-305 is that the injectors are either clogged or shot. Remedy? Have them blown for $150 or spend a waud and buy all new fuel injectors? New injectors would definately answer any question on if they're good or bad. Expensive though. I thought also maybe the fuel pump, but the engine doesn't act starved, so I ruled that out.

I thought maybe new spark plug wires, but I'm hesitant on buying new wires (given the expense of wires) due to the remaining symptoms. *sigh* this friggin summer heat blows major balls. I never have trouble with my car during winter. T-Birds are not desert-friendly vehicles. Then again, 120* dry heat can really tear a car up.

Thought I'd run this by you guys and see what you all can come up with for me. I'm about ready to trade in my bird for a '99 Cougar... I just can't dick around in 120* weather with tempermental A/C in an unreliable car. I also can't afford to dump money and come up empty handed. Summer season sucks in Vegas, all these families on $300 vacation packages don't really support the local economy like the convention season business bodies do. Families want everything for free or less, and don't comprehend the word "tip" when above standard service is recieved. I'd hate to sell the bird for some FWD go-kart, but at least the go-kart has a warranty and A/C that works when you turn it on... and not just when it feels like it.

... Let's not get stupid... I'm keeping the SuperCoupe, but the '96 N/A is no loss to me at this point, I can always turn around this winter and find a nice '96-'97 4.6... I just hate to be a sell-out being the V6'er that I am.

:p (j/k guys) Any ideas to solve these problems and/or what may cause them? I'm near stumped.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
after your codes were checked did you have them cleared? You have to select to clear them before they go away.

Just because the o2 sensor reads lean doesnt mean its the o2 sensor's fault, something else could be wrong that is actually causing the car to run lean and the o2 sensor is catching it, such as faulty injectors. I wouldnt replace them right away, I would put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, and you could also rebuild them yourself if need be, for a lot cheaper.

misfire on 1 and 5 could be several things, could be that its not getting spark, or that its not getting fuel. I have seen a few DIS mustangs come in to get their codes scanned and get misfire codes, end up replacing their ignition coil pack, and everything working fine afterwards, so you might also consider that.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I know the 1443 is an evap code... what, replace my gas cap

I had this code simple check your vacume lines from the purge sensor to the
fume canister . Make sure they are on tight and not cloged . Mostlikely its one of the two sensors the purge solenoid or purge valve sensor or the vapor canister .

The misfire I also had this code , bought the sparkplug wires and I was burning rubber .

Hope this helps .

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
which ones? the v6 and v8 both use a dual piston caliper in the front made by PBR, and with some modifying they fit on the MN12. Otherwise if you're talking about cobra 13" brakes, you can buy those in our bolt pattern from discbrakesrus.com along with the dual piston calipers to fit it.
-Thomas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts