TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 bird 4.6l Car started to chug a little the other day, then was fine for a day, then was werse. Starts fine, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on. Code 102. MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW CIRCUIT LOW INPUT is what the scanner says but im lost now. Anyone know whats wrong? Im not good with these computer issues.
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
You Mass airflow senseor may be dirty. You can clean it with electrical parts cleaner. Do you know what and where it is, and how to remove it? Do a search on how to do it. Go to the search function and type in cleaning mass airflow sensor, or something similar and see what you find. Plenty of people have written or asked about it. Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am a little worried about doing it, 2 yrs ago i did it with the correct spray and a week latter it died completely, cost me $500, for a tow and new mass senser. But ill try it again, and see what happens this time. thanks

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I highly doubt you had anything to do with it failing unless you used a q-tip and rubbed it too hard. If you are worried about having the right cleaner pick up some MAF cleaner from an auto parts store if that isn't what you already have. While you're at it spray the inside of the connectors to make sure the signal is being interrupted by dirt in there. If done correctly you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Banned
754 Posts
I cant see a damaged MAF causing the car not to run,you can unplug them and still run the car.... though you will be getting terrible mileage I think.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I didnt use a Q tip when I did mine. Just sprayed the hell out of it, and everything is fine almost 1K miles later. If you use the right cleaner, and did it properly(a MAF cleaner) then I dont see how that could contribute to a failure of the MAF sensor.

·
5,650 Posts
I cant see a damaged MAF causing the car not to run,you can unplug them and still run the car.... though you will be getting terrible mileage I think.
You are wrong. A damaged MAF that is providing bogus info to the computer will make it worse than not having a MAF plugged in at all. The computer has provisions for calculating air/fuel when it knows the MAF has failed, but if the MAF is not flagged as failed the computer will try to use the info the MAF provides, which won't be useful info at all.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I had one on my Buick driving me nuts. No code, but it would stall and miss on acceleration. It only did it when the MAF got hot like sitting in traffic, it would be fine running down the road. The Buick dealer couldn't even figure it out.
I have heard of people having lots of trouble (GM cars anyway) with rebuilt MAFs from autoparts stores. Don't know what was put on yours the first time.
I got an used OEM from a salvage dealer on www.car-parts.com. Think I paid $45 shipped.
My 95 Town Car is still running the original MAF at 170k miles. Cleaned it once for the heck of it with the CRC electronics cleaner. That was a couple of years ago. Just sprav the wires good, but don't touch them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first time i used MAF spray then a few days later the car would start then shut right off, no code at all came up and not engine light. The dealership said it was the MAF senser. They put a aftermarket one in cause at the time i couldnt pay $200+ for the factory one and its been fine since until the other day. I will try it in the morning and see what happens. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOPE didnt work, Cleared the code 102, then cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC maf cleaner didnt look dirty at all. Waited 20min then started it and idle was high for this car 1500 then stumbled to 500 then back up to 1000 stayed there till it was warm. then down to 700 normal idle. Took it for a easy ride, throttle felt great,but still stumbled one time when i was slowing down. 94 octane and new fuel filter too. Could it be the TPS , I am going away for the weekend and the wife will have this car and i want it fixed before she getts stuck on the side of the road. Any other suggestions please.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it fixed. The MAF sensor was bad, cleaning it didnt work put new one in and all things are good. thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts