TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have to say this sight is great and has helped me before. Now my check engine light problem. I am the original owner of a 1995 T-Bird 4.6 l 127k miles. About a 2 years ago I got a light which coded P0402 egr flow excessive. so i changed the egr valve and reset the computer only to have it come back on in a few miles. Changed the DPFE sensor which was plugged with a chalky residue where the hoses connect which corrected the problem for about a year. Than another light which coded P0402 so i changed the plugged DPFE sensor again. Well its been about 10 months and guess what P0402 again. This sensor is only warretied for 3 months. My question is what is pluging up the sensor and how to correct this annoying problem. Thanks in advance. Bob

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
My experience: I had this code just last week, after addressing a P1407 (EGR - No Flow Detected). Replaced the EGR valve, all is ok. The next day, P1405 (Upstream Pressure disconnected or plugged problem) arises. I noticed that a hose running from the EGR tube to DPFE sensor had come off. Reconnect it, all is ok. A couple days later, P0402 (EGR - Exessive Flow at Idle) pops up.

I made sure that the EGR to EVR Solenoid (or EGR Vacuum Regulator) tube was clear (this is the tube that plugs in to the top of the EGR valve). My next step was to disconnect the boot on the vacuum regulator (or EVR solenoid) and remove the EGR-to-EVR solenoid tube. Then, I connected some 5/32 emissions tube to the boot that connects that EGR-to-EVR solenoid tube to the EVR solenoid, blew through it, and made sure it was clear also. I took the filter cap off the EVR solenoid, and knocked some build up out of the filter, then drew a 15hg vacuum on the solenoid several times. The 1994 Service Manual states that if the solenoid hold a vacuum, or releases it slowly, then it is plugged, as it should not hold a vacuum. The one in my car released it slowly, so I am considering replacing that vacumm regulator solenoid.

However, the Check Engine light went off....!!! At any rate, I figure it won't hurt to replace that vacuum regulator (~$28), since the EGR channel was cleaned, and a new EGR valve is installed.

Look at Part #4 in this picture. It's the EVR solenoid (vacuum regulator) I've mentioned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts