TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
8,032 Posts
I just got through changing them out today!

Do a search with the code, you'll find plenty. :D

Joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
well my c.e.l. came on today so i got out the trusty code puller......only got one code and that code is p1443.

anybody know what this code means?
That emission system is usually pretty reliable. Could be a leaky hose or as simple as the gas cap left loose. Clear the code and check gas cap and see if it comes up again.The OBD2 reader tells you what codes mean and lets you clear them. What code reader are you using?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have no clue what it was....my grandpa came over and just happend to have on in his car....so i used it and pulled the code. it was small, orange, had two blue buttons..and a small screen on it, if that helps??

he cleared the code and the c.e.l. went off. havent driven it since he did that.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i have no clue what it was....my grandpa came over and just happend to have on in his car....so i used it and pulled the code. it was small, orange, had two blue buttons..and a small screen on it, if that helps??

he cleared the code and the c.e.l. went off. havent driven it since he did that.
it will come back. 1443 is a common code, you will need the evap canister, solenoid, and some generic vac line/heater hose. Jack up the car, pull back the fender liner, and its all staring you in the face.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also my when i turn my car on and put it in gear the abs light comes on and the traction control system doesnt work, even when i push the button it says off.

sometimes the abs light goes off and i can turn the tcs on and off but that almost never happens anymore....any ideas on how to get that fixed?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
so if i dont do anyhthing about this will it be bad for my car? it keeps comin back on...

just replace the parts and the small section of tubing.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
it will come back. 1443 is a common code, you will need the evap canister, solenoid, and some generic vac line/heater hose. Jack up the car, pull back the fender liner, and its all staring you in the face.
Obucina has it right. Just replace the parts and hoses he just listed. Your code will go away. Then you can worry about the ABS and traction control stuff. That has nothing to do with the evap code.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay, ill get it taken care of...but im more worried about the abs and traction control than anything really.....winters in chicago are no joke, and they both definatly come in handy. thats really what i want to get taken car of first.

·
5,650 Posts
For the ABS light, see here for getting the codes, then report back here so we can help diagnose further. It's probably a wheel sensor, but checking the codes is the only way to get started.

For the P1443 code, the fact that it's not detecting flow means 1 of 2 things. 1) The thermistor that actually detects the flow is bad and thus not reporting flow that is actually occurring. 2) The hoses leading up to the system have dry-rotted and are leaking, thus when the engine is sucking from the EVAP it's getting outside air, not the purged vapors. Scenario 2 is bad because that means you have a vacuum leak. You should start by just replacing ALL the hoses that go from the connection on the back of the throttle body adapter (plenum) to the metal pipe on the passenger shock tower and then towards the front of the car to the EVAP canister. If that doesn't make the code go away, then only replace the purge flow sensor/thermistor. There is hardly ever a reason to replace the solenoid as they rarely fail, and the EVAP canister itself won't likely have a problem. Replacing all the parts at once, while likely to solve the problem, could be spending close to $100 unnecessarily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts