TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had to replace the fuel pressure reg to fix a hard start issue,prob fixed but now CEl comes on ,why? I did find some cracked vac lines and fixed those,engine runs super smooth,never had an issue with cel on this car till I did the fpr.
any Ideas?
I'm pretty sure its vacuum related since I had to pull the top of intake off to replace fpr, reused gasket but used sealant,,I figure vac leak is making the fuel pressure in system go up and riching the mixture so 02 sensor's picking that up.

·
Registered
613 Posts
He's got an EEC IV, Lee*. Lee is right about silicone RTV unless you use the special compound. If upper gaskets still look good, better to just use a petroleum based, very sparingly.

How about being more specific about the CEL. Does it remain on constantly.. or go back off.
My guess.. cuz it happened/happens to me occasionally..It comes on when warmed and at low speed, goes off at highway cruise. If that's the case:

For me, it's always EGR/DPFE Related

* The autoparts stores arent going to read your codes, get a 12 volt test light and go to
http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used Hylomar® Universal Blue
http://www.hylomarsealant.com/
Love this stuff,racers use it,pricey but worth it,Had to use it on my 300e upper timing cover,only sealant that worked for design flaw oil leak.
cel come on aft 3 min of driving,then stays on.
aft I replaced fpr started it up and idle was high and drifting around,found bad connector pcv line conn under manifold bad and leaking,fixed it and now runs smooth,only thing is cel ,maybe egr is blocked,read that could do it also.
will run test tomorrow ,have a day off.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Here in Minnesota all the parts stores (Advanced, AutoZone, O'Riley's etc...) will come out to your car, and test for codes free. Had it done many times.
And your car is OBD-II, I bet.

Locally, they don't have a Ford EEC-IV scanner. Or, as it's also known, OBD, OBD-1, or OBD-None :diablo:

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
The simple thing to do is get the code. Guesswork wastes time and money. There is no such thing as a "ghost code", the EEC will throw a code if and only if the conditions are met for that error code to be presented. Computers do only what they're told. No more, no less. If a code was recorded, then the circumstances required for such an error were recorded. This can only be caused by a mechanical or electrical fault in the system somewhere and should be investigated.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Paperclip or short piece of wire has always worked for me.

Just short the two pins on the EEC test port, and count the blinks on the dash.

EASY .. no code reader tool necessary, no guessing, just get the answer with a paperclip, I am sure EVERYBODY here can get one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think I found the prob.one of the vac lines off the T attached to the firewall ,was laying on the egr tube ,and melted thru! fixed it and will test drive it to work in a little while,will post results,pretty sure that's it.:D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Yeah, you're right. I just call Advanced Auto Parts, and he said the don't have the connectors anymore for the EEC-IV. Only OBD-II, which yes, my T-Bird LX is Onboard Diagnostics Two. Bone stock car w/ 4.6 liter, and almost ready for paint!
The OP has a 1993 Cougar with a 3.8L - he is OBD-I with an EEC-IV.

Your car is a 1995 Bird LX with a 4.6L - those are OBD-II with an EEC-V (the '95 with a 3.8L is still OBD-I until 1996, however).

We have a big scanner at the shop with a ton of different connectors for OBD-I and OBD-II cars, and it is easy to just read the screen. But when it's not available, it's very easy just to use the jumper and count the blinks as described in my previous post.

OP, glad you got it worked out! Happy New Year!

·
Registered
613 Posts
..,I figure vac leak is making the fuel pressure in system go up and riching the mixture so 02 sensor's picking that up.
Ummm that's not how it works. It's air / fuel but in a vac leak the FPR will not fully compensate, let alone go 'too rich' for the ECM to compensate.

Think I found the prob.one of the vac lines off the T attached to the firewall ,was laying on the egr tube ,and melted thru! fixed it and will test drive it to work in a little while,will post results,pretty sure that's it.:D
I'm sort of surprised you didnt have cold or warm - idle problems. Why not read the stored code, anyway. Could be educational.
ADDED:
HAH!1 Read up and highlight the blank space to see my guess. read to end to see the real problem explained.

It is an EGR Fault!!​

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok that was it ,melted vacuum line,didn't melt all the way thru,just enough so, map sensor wasn't seeing vacuum,causing 02 sensor to light up. it was the red plastic tube melted just enough so you couldn't blow thru it so it wasn't causing vac leak. fixed no cel anymore.thanks everyone for input!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
But you will have EGR codes. It is the nature of the 94-95 models with the lovely intake passages.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
But you will have EGR codes. It is the nature of the 94-95 models with the lovely intake passages.
The OP has a 3.8L. I believe you are talking about the 4.6L engines.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
The OP has a 3.8L. I believe you are talking about the 4.6L engines.
You are correct. Was hard to follow the thread. (old age with alcohol...:D )

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
You are correct. Was hard to follow the thread. (old age with alcohol...:D )
I thought that was "(old aged alcohol)" ... :diablo:

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
:D

:thumbsup: It's all good Mr. Ralph and Mr. Brown!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts

:thumbsup: It's all good Mr. Ralph and Mr. Brown!

Yeah I get ribbed a bunch from the young un's here all the time.
Oh the jokes about Matlock and drinking Ensure...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts