TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Question ,please help... 3.8 ,V6 92. they did Head gasket but the
Check Engine is On ,this car is Running strong,i had a trip of 400 miles ,beside the
Engine light, there is an strange sound that comes from the Right side of the engine,
when I start cold, is like some thing is lose ,later that sound go quieter,
There a possibilite of the engine is DYing on me ,

Marlon, Thank you:2huh:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Here's how to check engine codes on your year of car.

1 - Locate the EEC TEST harness and pull it out of it's mounting hole behind the passenger shock tower.

2 - Bend a paper clip in a U shape in place it in the two indicated plugs on the two harnesses

3 - go inside cab of car and turn key to the accessory position but don't start the car. (key on engine off)

4. the "check engnie" light will flash once (I believe) and this means the car has gone into code reader mode.

5. Then the light will flash again, it's kind of like morse code in numbers. there are several flashes to indicate the number, then a pause for a few seconds, then another several flashes to indicate the next number

example: 3 flashes - pause - 2 flashes - pause - 4 flashes = code # 324.

There will be an even large pause between codes if there is more than one code stored. Check the codes or ask if you need more help on how to do it. Then once you get the codes come back and post what they are, I'll let you know what they are and I'll throw in my advice as a bonus :)

-Thomas

·
Registered
47 Posts
thomas, can you tell me how to pull the codes and not get confused with the blinking light?????is this even possible?? im getting some really weird #'s here.thanks.

GC

·
8,978 Posts
not unless you want to go to a shop and pay 45 bucks for them to do it. It can take a while to get used to so don't sweat it.

What numbers did you get?

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
what I usually do is get a piece of paper and pen, make sure you've got a flat surface like a clipboard or something of the like. this part is tricky hehe...as the number flash out scribble them down without looking down. If you look down it can confuse you and you might miss some of the flashes. Then sort it out after you're done. That's what I do.
-Thomas

·
Registered
47 Posts
yeah when i was pulling them i looked down but i then tried your ingeneous way of not looking down. cant figure out why i couldnt think of that:D . i got the whole thing figured out anyways. i got the haynes manual which had the codes for me.

GC

·
8,978 Posts
bigbird94 said:
yeah when i was pulling them i looked down but i then tried your ingeneous way of not looking down. cant figure out why i couldnt think of that:D . i got the whole thing figured out anyways. i got the haynes manual which had the codes for me.

GC
Awesome. Glad my genius techniques could be of help to you :)

So what was it?

-Thomas

·
Registered
47 Posts
it ended up being a few things. both o2's were not switching, and there was something regarding egr so i went huntin' for a prob around the egr and found the hose between the transducer and the manifold to be blocked so i un blocked it.i gtg

GC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts