TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 4.6 and My check engine light was on until I got a new battery. After about 5 miles of driving the check engine light came back on. Any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
when you replaced your battery, the code cleared, because the computer's memory cleared.....once the computer relearned its parameters from all the different sensors, it determined that the fault(s) were still there, based on the sensor inputs

go get the code scanned and report back

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not to beat the dead horse here, but autozone scans codes for free. Just go in and tell them you have an OBDII capable vehicle and that you need the codes scanned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my code checked and came up with a p1407 which is egr related. I read other posts saying that you should take the 90 degree metal part connected to the throttle body off to check for carbon or something. I don't see how you get that thing off cause I tried and there is a bolt in the back that I can't get to and another one on the left side that is behind something. I also heard the egr might be easier to replace from the bottom. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i once got an EGR related code....stated "EGR: insufficient flow".....turned out i busted up one of those solid plastic vacuum lines........put it back together with a short rubber vacuum fitting and all was good.....so you might wanna double check the vacuum lines that go to the EGR

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
FWIW, here's some info from the 1994 Ford PC/ED Manual about the code:

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 1407 indicates that continuous self-test has detected no EGR flow.

NOTE:
If the fault is currently present, DTC 1408 will be output in Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Possible Causes:
-- EGR valve stuck closed or iced.
-- EGR valve diaphragm leaks.
-- EGR flow path restricted.
-- EGR vacuum hose off, plugged or leaks.
-- EVR VPWR circuit open.
-- EVR circuit to PCM open.
-- EVR circuit to PCM shorted to PWR.
-- DPFE sensor pressure hoses both off.
-- DPFE sensor VREF circuit open.
-- Damaged EVR solenoid.
-- Damaged DPFE sensor.
-- Damaged PCM.

As you can see, the causes can vary. I'd suggest making sure the vacuum lines are ok. Another common problem I see regularly is the DPFE sensor. I don't know of any 'easy' way to replace the EGR valve on the 1994-5 4.6L cars, should you go that route first. One common point I recall reading here is to exercise patience.

Lastly, here's an article which may be worth reading...

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I got the same code a while ago and it would feel like it would miss sometimes around 2000 rpm under acceleration, and I couldn't figure it out....so, when the car was at the shop getting its new heads put on, I told them to look at it. Turns out one of my coil packs was bad on two cylinders and wouldn't light the mixtures sometimes, causing the computer to think it couldn't get enough EGR. Weird....

Pete

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Could also be that the sensor that detects the EGR flow has died. (DPFE if i recall right). I'd check the vacuum lines, and if possible remove the EGR valve and clean it out. I know the 94-5s are a pain, I used to own one. 2 10mm bolts plus the large fitting.
I got an insufficient flow code once, turned out the line from the manifold to the EGR was really loose. Must have shaken loose after the car got the aluminum crossover intake. I cleaned it anyway and tightened it down, been good ever since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help everyone. I cleaned out the egr channel because it was clogged with black crap. I also noticed a rubber connector was split up the side so I fixed that cleared the code and I've driven it alot and it appears to be fixed. Then when I was coming home I got a screw in my tire. I don't know if God is mad at me or what, but it seems if it's not one thing it's another.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts