TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my air box/stock filter with a new paper filter and flipped the maf. Also, I added a couple quarts of oil (see below) today while I was ripping all the carpet out of the trunk and the jute padding from under the carpets. After finishing and starting it back up to test drive, I come to find a Check Engine light.

There's a little thing that plugs into the side of the air box. Sorta looks like a spark plug. What exactly is that? I really didn't know where I was supposed to put it, since I had removed the air plug, so it's just kinda sitting there.

When I run the car hard, I smell that I'm burning oil and I don't really know why. I've been smelling it for a while, but haven't taken the initiative to correct it. I just replaced the head gaskets last summer and I don't have any profuse or evident leaks anywhere, but I can definitely smell the oil burning.

The only other symptoms of my car are that it drops rpms and acts like it's going to stall when I shift it into gear, slow shifts, and sometimes when I'm at WOT, it'll kind of sputter when the rpms get up real high.

Anybody have any ideas?

~Matt

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Well, The thing you are refering to is most likley your Intake Air Temperature sensor.

For the oil, how much oil do you go through per 1000 miles? It could be rings, or more likley valve guide seals.

The rest of your issues, I don't really know about, but they could be related the the air temp the IAT is reporting to the PCM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what exactly should I do with the IAT? I mean, I don't have an air box for it to plug into anymore. It's got to plug in somewhere right? Do you think that's why my check engine light is on? Because it's just hanging there now, didn't know what to do with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There's a bolt of some sort sticking up under where your 'ram air' comes in, what I did was I zip-tied mine to that, so it was pointing at the ram air area. It's actually down in there a little bit, but not much.

Sure, it's a ghetto fix. But it works. You can't see it because the cone is in the way anyways. :D

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I would put the MAF back in stock position and reset the computer then try the car again. Sometimes when modding or flipping the MAF it will throw codes (Check Engine light comes on). If you want to do something with the MAF then get a chip and a new MAF to go along with the chip. Probably the 02+GT MAF.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts