TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car has needed a whole new radio antenna assembly, base and all....found this NOS part, F0SZ-18813-A "stationary radio antenna kit" it says that it's 89-92 MN12, but it seems to me that it should work...I don't think they changed anything, as far as this goes....and it all looks the same. It came with everything, the base the antenna screws into, the bracket the base sits on that attaches to the fender, the antenna mast itself, and even came with instructions that have drawings and everything. I will scan those when I am done. One thing about the instructions, it says in step one "remove antenna hole/cap from fender" As this would be a kit to add an antenna, cable and all, to a car that does not have one (and no radio either I would think) where these cars available, at least in the beginning of the MN12, with any sort of "radio delete" option? It would seem so, since this piece exists.

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
The bracket and hole insert are MN12 specific. I don't think these ever came with the "radio delete credit" according to my brochures, that seems to have ended after the Fox generation.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that antenna kit is definately MN12 only

Here's something weird. The antenna setup I just bought, has a silver bolt that threads on to the top of the base, to hold it into the black bezel that sits in the fender. The bolt is round, and has some notches in the top, and requires a special tool to install, and remove. It's like a little socket with teeth in it, to fit in the notches. On the current antenna base that is on my car, where said notched bolt would be, there is a piece of round black ?plastic? that is kind of chewed up...I don't see any provisions to remove it. Is that black piece a cover for the notched bolt?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The prefix of that PN is for a 90 Tbird. With a little more looking I could look up the reference number.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed it today....super simple. There is a plastic cover that goes on top of the keyed bolt. That cover was all chewed up from being removed at some point in the past...I screwed it up more removing it. I put it all together, and the only differance over every other fixed-antenna MN12 I have seen, is that the brightly finished keyed bolt is visible...no big deal, or I could order another cover, they're only a couple bucks. Strange the kit did not come with that.

I did not have the tool to remove or install the bolt (it's like a socket with some "teeth" that fit down into the notches...I just used a flathead and tap-tap-tapped it in...once I did that I realized I had not connected the antenna wire to the bottom of the antenna base :facepalm: so it was tricky reaching up under it, but I got it in....then I realized the antenna wasn't connected to the radio itself...so the dash came apart...

Anyway, it's all back together again, and I have tunes, and have a radio antenna bezel that is actually black instead of all faded and chipped and nasty.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No pictures Earl? :tongue:

Joe
Alright...Nice, brand new antenna and base...notice no black cover over the bolt on the antenna...I'm debating adding a new cover for the bolt, or just leaving it as is...maybe the cover keeps rust away from the bolt?

I looked through all the previous photos...I don't have anything closely or clearly showing the old base...nearly all of it's paint had flaked off, couldn't thread an antenna into it, hole screwed up...it was a mess

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It won't rust away any time soon, power antenna cars have that nut constantly exposed.
it's been a decade since I owned a bird with a power antenna....I guess I never payed much attention to the antennas until I did this...do they rust at all?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts