TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You pull that little "EEC TEST" box out from behind the shock tower as noted by the little red rectangle. You pull out the two wiring harnesses, one bigger than the other, and you put the paperclip into those two squares on the bottom picture. They're actually slots for wires but a paperclip works perfectly fine. Next you go into your car and turn the key forward just enough so all the electricals come on but don't crank the engine over. You'll hear some buzzing noise in the back of your car, this is normal (fuel pump). Next you'll see the little "Check Engine" light blink on your gauge cluster. this means it's gone into check eec mode. Next your codes will come out. Have a pen and paper ready because once they show up they're erased and you'll have to throw a code again before it's checkable. So the engine light will blink out the numbers to you. It's kind of like morse code for numbers. It'll go something like this: blink 3 times, wait 2 seconds, blink 2 times, wait 2 seconds, blink 4 times. This means you've thrown a code 324. Then if you have more codes it'll wait about 6 seconds and repeat the morse code stuff for the next code number. Once all the blinking stops it's run it's cycle and all the codes have been read.

-Thomas

Reactions: SVT-F100

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
this should be sticky, very useful, good job Thomas!

i knew this could be done but didn't know what to do it on a ford, had just done it the other day on my friend's slowmaro.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Or just go spend $35 on a code reader. Sorry. The most important test to me is KOER. I get more dangerous codes that way then the KOEO test. Which is what you have shown to do. I'm not trying to argue or be better or anything.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
bad93bird said:
Or just go spend $35 on a code reader. Sorry. The most important test to me is KOER. I get more dangerous codes that way then the KOEO test. Which is what you have shown to do. I'm not trying to argue or be better or anything.
Why pay for a code reader? I had one I sold for $5 because I prefer the old trusty method. KOEO only shows hard faults the memory is where you find the tricky stuff.
Alan

·
Registered
185 Posts
I want to do this to read the codes on mine. I just can not find this harness.I see the wires in a black plastic strip that lead to behind the tower and I see a big wiring harness with a lot of wires to it and a bolted cover on it.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
funny fingers. You do not have an EEC-IV, you have the newer EEC-V which requires a $200 something OBD-II code reader. Sorry :( Autozone can check the codes for you for free though, if you have one nearby where you live. The diagnostic port for the EEC-V is under the glove box in the passenger compartment.
-Thomas

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok thanks. I do go to Autozone but it is the furthest shop from me. Great info though:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for the info, I can do this on obd1 gms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I will like to learn how to check codes but I going to need someone to retake the EEC Box picture again so I know what to look for. I wonder if this will help to address the blinking air bag message.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,300 Posts
Agueybana,

This thread is for scanning codes that are EEC IV, you need an EEC V scanner.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts