TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anything i should look for? its a 1993 with a v6, black, and 84k miles. the guy is asking $3000.00.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The transmission is by far the worst part of Thunderbirds (in my opinion) Check the transmission fluid. Make sure it is a nice, clean, smoothe red color. If it looks brown, or smells like burnt candy (it sounds weird, but its what it smells like) you have to ask yourself if you're willing to overhaul the tranny within a few thousand kilometers of buying it. Also check for ANY white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. White smoke is a telltale sign of a head gasket that is ready to go. Very expensive to fix, also a very common problem on V6s. I bought my 94 V6 without knowing these things. And almost $2500 later, i regret it.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
I bought my 94 4.6 for around $4000. $3000 for a v6 seems a little bit high for me. If the car was in immaculant condition I would consider......but I would never buy a v6.
--Craig

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
If it's a V6, be sure that it is an SC. Otherwise, if your looking for horsepower now and in the future, go V8.

Lots of things to check out. As said, check the tranny first.

If any idiot lights are on, find out what it is. If it's a 3.8L V6 (non SC) you will likely be looking at a head job if it hasn't already been done.

If it is ABS braking, be sure that it is operating well.

There's probably more to look at specific to MN12s, but that has been my experience.

;) Look at it and get details, then bring them back here to post for feedback.

·
Registered
538 Posts
First

I say talk him down...you can get it for $2000 easy...then as far as the tranny, you should drive it and check for any wierd shifting and vibrations

One good thing to do is put your finger in the tailpipe, and scrape it....check to see what comes off on your finger, if it's charcoal black and oily, not a good sign, if it just looks like dirt, it's ok..Also make sure theoil has been changed regularly, check the oil level and color.

These three are very important...Tranny Oil and tailpie check.

Beirutsfinest

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If you EVER want to make this car go faster, leave it and start with a v8 or SC.

To test the trans:
put in "1" get up to 30mph.
put into "D".
put into "1".
This will make the trans stay in second. if there is hesitation in the D to 1 shift, the tranny is going bad.

others have covered the HG issue.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maybe mine doesn't count since it is a salvage car, but it was $2400. Around here, similar non-salvage birds are selling at about 6k.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, think that is a good deal. With 84K I doubt the guy will go down much unless it's reallly ragged out. Otherwise just check the normal stuff....fluilds....ask for repair records...ect.

·
8,239 Posts
Two things I would say. I don't think 3k is a good deal for that car. Second, the 3.8na is a dog. I have owned one, and do not want another. No offense to the v6 guys, but you gotta admit that a stock 3.8 is very slow.

JH

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
$3000 is a bit too much for a 3.8L na. But we don't know if it's an SC or not.

Is it an SC?

If he's asking $3000, you have to at least get him down some. It's part of car buying.

People buy their cars for different reasons. Not everyone buys a car to race. I have a 3.8L na and it's just fine for my purposes. All that I personally look to do is help it perform better.

If you are buying for the purpose of building a fast car, look for a V8 or 3.8L super charged.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Price ranges from state to state and also depends on the size of the city. If the car is from down in the southen states (no rust) and is in good shape inside and out it's a good deal for 3K with only 84K. Most likely the HG's have been done and it's ready to roll. Sure some of you my have seen 5.0's go for 3 grand but I bet there in rough shape or an eye sore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What can you get for $300.00

I would luv to see a pic of that $300.00 car.........

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
JustinH has an excellent point. Be sure of where you're comin from before you belittle someone else. I don't know about your particular 95 LX, but mines just a tad moer stock than yours and it only has an SOHC V8. ;)

Anyways, back to the v6 car. Check all the fluids and when you take it for a test drive, check the brakes really good, check the shifting of the trany both under light throttle and WOT.

And also make sure you get One-Sad-Bird to run the VIN on pricewatch. I avoided a couple of lemons when I was looking for my TBird by running carfax.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well be careful how you speak. I think you may be suprised about my $300 1993 T-Bird. Some people on this board have seen it BeruitsFinest, 8ate8 and 94TBirdNJ (I think that is his SN) I am currently down the shore so the newest pictures I have are from last months car show, but I am sure you will get the idea. Sorry I can't show off my detailed engine and interior.

http://www.njtacc.com/media/071302_2p.html

If that doesn't work let me know.

Jim

·
Registered
57 Posts
What a Deal

Man, I would love to find a $300.00 value like that, Very nice for the Price....

My bad on the DOHC, I was mis informed..... :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts