TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me in small words what this is/does, the pros/cons of having one, and how easy it is to install?

·
Registered
385 Posts
its basicly a straight though mufflar , almost straight pipe with fins inside filled with fiberglass

pros: cheap , sounds good and loud

cons: REALLY loud , depending on your local laws it will be to loud

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, how loud? Sound bite? Example? Like I'm mowing? Like a train? Like my subs are up to loud... 'cause then it would just blend in.

How easy is it to install?

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
I'm guessing it would install like any other muffler and either require some welding, or good clamps.

-Melon

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would recommend saving your money and installing a true duals set up

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want something loud. I like to hear my engine at work. Just not loud enough to get cited for it.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
For now for a cheap fix, just have a shop cut off your mufflers and weld straight pipe in their place to exit in the stock location. An otherwise stock 4.6 with no mufflers and leaving the rest of the stock exhaust will sound nice and deep, but isn't really loud enough to attract the attention of law enforcement officials. Later on, when you get to doing some real mods, save up your money and get a good full exhaust system under the car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So...

What exactly does the muffler do for your car? Is it that bad for me to cut them off? Or is that okay?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
It's ok.. if it wasn't OK, then Dubbsy's 94 would have blown up. He cut his off 3-4 years ago I think and last I knew, they were still gone even though he doesn't own the car anymore.

And if you want to be loud and hear the engine, just run open headers. That will certainly draw attention to yourself. I agree with saving your money and getting true duals. It cost me around $500 for 2.5" true duals including the muffler and new cats.

-Melon

·
one in a million
154 Posts
I recently cut off both of my stock mufflers on mine and I think it sounds nice..

only thing its a bit loud at night so I try my best to idle home when entering my neighborhood so I don't upset anyone...

I plan on getting some flow masters are something good to replace with...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
this has been beat to death. glasspacks sound good till they burn out. just chopping the mufflers off shounds like crap.

so what is the alternative? dynomax race bullets. they are constructed just like slp loudmouth and are as cheap as a glasspack.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree, the debate/muffler wars never seem to end, although when I was searching, it seemed the bullets were a constant suggestion for a cheap and loud solution to stock mufflers, at least until you can save up enough for true duals

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So... Speaking of exhaust... I found oil coming out of mine today...

Prognosis, doctors?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts