TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as yo all know i have no exhaust.. lol.. shopping around friday i found a good deal on a cherry bomb Di/Do for $72.. the guy said it gav it the sound of having a rough idlecam.. but with stock cams (if that made sense) which is kinda what im lookig for since i dont have $5-600 for a new set of cams and a new timing cahin.. lol.. do any of you have this on your cars? a sound clip would be great.. im probably going to get it anyways but i just wanted to hear it:D when i get them ill make sure to post a vid.. if my mom will give my camera back..

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Not sure how it would sound.Cherry bombs give a raspy sound.I have a couple of glasspacks I was thinking about putting on my exhaust in place of my Dynomax mufflers.The mufflers I have now are way to quiet for my taste.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I've had some experience with the cherry bombs. I used one on a friends 4.3 v6 silverado. Sounded great. Gave a good V8 sound and didnt drone at all! BUT! The 4.6 is always hard to get a good sound out of. (as most of use have been and are always in pursuit of the "PERFECT" 4.6 note)

A couple of suggestions I might add from my experience only:

If adding a muffler of any sort, always mid-mount. The tone and note you get is much more classy with the rest of the pipe to the rear of the vehicle.

One other thing i've noticed is to try to keep something with wadding on the exhaust system. (glasspack, straight through type race muffler) Without headers the 4.6 can makes some annoying high tones that need to be absorbed with wadding.

just my .02

~MG~

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had some experience with the cherry bombs. I used one on a friends 4.3 v6 silverado. Sounded great. Gave a good V8 sound and didnt drone at all! BUT! The 4.6 is always hard to get a good sound out of. (as most of use have been and are always in pursuit of the "PERFECT" 4.6 note)

A couple of suggestions I might add from my experience only:

If adding a muffler of any sort, always mid-mount. The tone and note you get is much more classy with the rest of the pipe to the rear of the vehicle.

One other thing i've noticed is to try to keep something with wadding on the exhaust system. (glasspack, straight through type race muffler) Without headers the 4.6 can makes some annoying high tones that need to be absorbed with wadding.

just my .02

~MG~
oh sure.. i comment you on myspace and you get on here.. lmao jk..

i want to mid mount it but i also dont want that "underwater" sound you get from maybe a mid mount flowmaster or thrush Di/Do.. i have a mid mount thrush turbo DiDo on an'05 gay mans chevy with the 5.8(???) vortech V-8 and if you stand far enough away it sounds like a diesel and i hate it.. lol

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
5.7L and thats my problem with mid mounts... mid mounts seem to drone as some point in teh RPM range extremely loud inside the car. not my thing. My 77 Cougar had Glass Packs on it but it was a 5.8L pushrod with 2.5in true duals. Sounded great actually but Push Rods always sound meaner than our modulars. Push Rods just give a throaty sound.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the drone i dot care about cuz most of the time i have the windows open and have all 8 of my 6"X8" thumpin as hard as they can :thumbsup: i just want something thatll scare small children and make the ricers think twice before they find out how slow my car really is... lmao

·
Registered
159 Posts
well the drone i dot care about cuz most of the time i have the windows open and have all 8 of my 6"X8" thumpin as hard as they can :thumbsup: i just want something thatll scare small children and make the ricers think twice before they find out how slow my car really is... lmao
I dont think so, Bro. the glasspacks I've had/heard on earlier motors (My 69 vette motor, old flatheads) are a totally different sound than what you've got right now. it's killer for sure, but a deep, backpressured sound, "Midrange" tone, god forgive me, my guess, would sound like a really punchy, loud riceburner with
Supertrapps......lolfof
Completely different that open pipes on a 281 would probably sound.. It's noisy, for sure, but more like a 'low midrange' tone... bap,bap,bap, you can't mistake it for anything else, its distinctive as hell on the street, but only with a completely non-restrictive setup from the headers back ( I think you have...). You'll turn heads, and its a unique sound, for sure. Bottom line, it'll get attention, that's for sure... all IMO....

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol well seeing as how my third cat decided to fall of today.. i have a pretty distinctive sound :thumbsup: lol got pulled over for noise pollution and i told him it wasnt aftermarket so he didnt gove me a ticket.. lol and i would love to have the loping sound of the cams in my exhaust but again i dont have the $$$ for a set of rough idles... thats why im going with the cherry bomb Di/Do cuz it gives you that sound for some reason.. (the guy had one on his 96 cougar)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts