TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This story give new meaning to "Stealership".

Long story short, they screw up, try to force buyer to sign new contract, buyer refuses and the dealership has the guy arrested. :eek:

He's now suing them for $2.2 million in damages. :thumbsup:

Now, ain't that poetic justice? :D

A Virginia man spent four hours in jail after purchasing a Chevrolet Traverse from Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake, VA. The dealer's sales staff accidentally sold the SUV to Danny Sawyer for $5,600 less than they should have, and when Sawyer refused to sign a new, more expensive contract for the correct amount, the dealership called the local police alleging the buyer had stolen the vehicle. Law enforcement then picked Sawyer up and held him for four hours before getting the situation straight.

Dennis Ellmer, president of Priority Chevrolet, says he owes Sawyer an apology on behalf of the dealership, and had intended to do right by the buyer by letting him have the vehicle at the agreed-upon price. But Sawyer's lawyer says it's a little too late for saying, 'sorry.' The briefly-incarcerated owner has filed two lawsuits against the dealer, accusing the business of malicious prosecution, slander, defamation and abuse of process. All told, the suits seek a total of $2.2 million in damages, plus attorney fees.

That $5,600 seems awfully cheap now.

The lawsuit says Sawyer originally purchased a blue Traverse on May 7, but took the SUV back the next day for a black one. The dealer's sales manager made the swap, allegedly without saying anything about a price differential between the two. Either way, Sawyer signed a final contract for around $34,000 when the vehicle he took home had an actual price of closer to $39,000. On June 15, Sawyer was taken into custody by police, but the Commonwealth dropped the charges after finding insufficient evidence to pursue the case.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/02/chevy-dealer-sells-car-for-wrong-price-apologizes-after-having/?ncid=txtlnkwbauto00000002

·
Registered
680 Posts
And I thought Mazda charging me $8 for a 2032 battery was bad!

·
Registered
531 Posts
My mom and dad bought a medium blue metallic 1970 LTD Squire wagon with a 429 new back in the day.

The dealer made a mistake on his numbers and ate the difference.

My mom always loved the radio in that car BTW.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL 4 posts from the original and ...

:tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
A Torino? :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
LOL wow, right in my back yard. This is definately gonna be all over Wavy TV 10 haha!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
This story give new meaning to "Stealership".

Long story short, they screw up, try to force buyer to sign new contract, buyer refuses and the dealership has the guy arrested. :eek:

He's now suing them for $2.2 million in damages. :thumbsup:

Now, ain't that poetic justice? :D

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/02/chevy-dealer-sells-car-for-wrong-price-apologizes-after-having/?ncid=txtlnkwbauto00000002
The actual lawsuit
http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/441081/lawsuit-in-suv-dispute.pdf

1) I'm surprised that any dealership would let him swap cars. I thought that once a vehicle has been titled, it's now a "used car" and its value depreciates accordingly.
2) I'm surprised they would even consider a swap.
3) Getting the guy arrested was a penile move unless this guy was threatening violence in the dealership. That being said, I would say that he would be entitled to some kind of restitution for this arrest.

4) Now, does that arrest equate to $2.2M?
He was arrested for 4 hours. 4 HOURS. Who the hell is this guy to think his time is even worth 1/10th of that amount?
$2.2M/4hrs = $550K/hr.

The dude is a registered nurse. They make $81K/yr on average and work approx 36hours/week. With 2 weeks off, that's $45/hr -- a slight difference in pay here.

I would gladly go to jail for 4 hours for $55K/hr, let alone $550/hr.
This guy is smoking crack. While he should definitely get the difference between the two SUVs, the most I'd give him would be the traverse itself.
Or, more realistically, if I was this judge I would affirm his ownership of the car and just throw this case out of court.

-g

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
4) Now, does that arrest equate to $2.2M?
He was arrested for 4 hours. 4 HOURS. Who the hell is this guy to think his time is even worth 1/10th of that amount?
$2.2M/4hrs = $550K/hr.
Its not the time spent, its the insult of being arrested for something he didnt do wrong.

Even though the case against him is thrown out, the record of his Arrest will not go away, its on his background check forever now.

Dealerships make a lot of money, $100,000 wouldnt hurt them much, but 2.2Mil might send them a clear message - they cant treat people this way. The bad publicity and hurt to the dealerships reputation will probably cost them 2.2Mil in lost potential revenue alone. With this kind of lawsuit, other dealerships might think twice before having somebody wrongfully arrested for their mistake, which usually tends to amount to a breach of contract when the terms are not met on both sides.

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
But it also sets (more)precedent for every Tom Dick and Harry to sue for 2.2 mil each time they've been wronged.

Plus driving a dealership nearly bankrupt(if not completely out of business) is going to effect more lives there than just the people running it. Seems excessive just to compensate 1 wronged guy.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
But it also sets (more)precedent for every Tom Dick and Harry to sue for 2.2 mil each time they've been wronged.

Plus driving a dealership nearly bankrupt(if not completely out of business) is going to effect more lives there than just the people running it. Seems excessive just to compensate 1 wronged guy.
Funny, I thought you were born here in America, Matt! ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny, I thought you were born here in America, Matt! ;)
LOL ... The most litigious country in the world! :usa: :tongue:

About the 2.2 mil. ... It's just a starting number I'm sure he doesn't expect to see anywhere near that much. But! ... Even 1/10th of that = $220,000 which isn't a bad pay day for his troubles.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

Decisions of this magnitude and by a group of "professional" individuals who happen to belong to a "retail" sect that receives very little common respect among the populous, quite honestly should know better. This was not a move that happened to be a seat of the pants move, the alleged strong arming and coercion on the part of the sales staff is most likely the result of a history of such decisions. The attempted renegotiation of the contract, most likely over the phone is an all too common story. It happened to a coworker, you probably know someone who can claim the same. The sales staff knew better, and quite frankly, hit them where it hurts. The 2.2 million will probably net the RN about 850-900k when it is all said and done. Throw me in jail over your Eff-Up and my name is gonna be on the roof of that dealership, and yes, I'll take a ZR-1. Thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
I don't disagree that the guy should be compensated and those involved be fired but there's more people working at a stealership than a sales staff ;) If I were in the parts or service department there and let go due to lack of business, severe budget cuts, or whatever might be brought on by this **** up, I'd be equally pissed at both parties when the shoe fell.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Decisions of this magnitude and by a group of "professional" individuals who happen to belong to a "retail" sect that receives very little common respect among the populous, quite honestly should know better. This was not a move that happened to be a seat of the pants move, the alleged strong arming and coercion on the part of the sales staff is most likely the result of a history of such decisions. The attempted renegotiation of the contract, most likely over the phone is an all too common story. It happened to a coworker, you probably know someone who can claim the same. The sales staff knew better, and quite frankly, hit them where it hurts. The 2.2 million will probably net the RN about 850-900k when it is all said and done. Throw me in jail over your Eff-Up and my name is gonna be on the roof of that dealership, and yes, I'll take a ZR-1. Thank you for your time.
Well said. Bravo! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The Priority dealerships are full of a bunch of clowns. I'm not suprised at all they pulled this stunt. I actually know a few people who work at different ones, like Toyota, they haven't had much great to say about them either heh. As far as the 2.2 Million goes, I doubt the individual is going to get anywhere near that, he will probably be happy just to watch them go out of business as a result and learn a good lesson the hard way.

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It'll certainly be an interesting case to watch develope.

You should keep us posted since it'll probably be on your local news as the story unfolds.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts