TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Halloween I wrecked my 89 silverado and flipped 5 or 6 times, basically everything but the engine is damaged. I got the truck back as well as bird that was stolen 4 days before I wrecked. Has anyone tried this swap? I read somewhere that it can be done with a fox body. If you are familiar with 1320video on youtube they have a video featuring "the fugitive" a Mustang packing a twin turbo big block chevy.
I love the idea of having a one of a kind vehicle, it is a rarity these days. Would this challenge be worth the undertaking?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I suppose it's 'possible' dimensionally speaking, but you'll most likely have to make custom headers to clear the k-member, steering shaft, strut towers, etc.

IIRC the L05 350 had exhaust manifolds that collected at the center of the block and went straight down?

With that said, after spending 100's maybe 1000's of hours and $$$$$ in fabbing mounts, trimming the k-member, most likely modifying the steering shaft, making custom exhaust, tying in the archaic GM ECU, modifying or making the wiring harness, most likely needing a custom driveshaft to mate to the 700R4 (unless you can make the 4r70 mate to a small block), you'll have a paltry 180-200 horsepower fuel thirsty chevy 350 with an iron block and heads, (don't forget you might need higher rate front springs due to the extra weight).

I mean, if you wanna do it, by all means, I'm kinda curious myself, but at least get an LS1 or a 5.3 with some LS heads.

There's a Crown Vic on Youtube with a 5.3 swapped in. Now that would be more worth the time and effort.

But at the end of the day, it's your car and if you go through with this, please post some pics.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Waste of time for the above reasons. A lot of time and fab work to end up with an outdated hog of an engine. You may be better off finding another truck for the engine you have, or maybe trade the bird for a Camaro. That would be easier to put the bowtie engine in.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
Don't cross the beams!

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Since when is an MN12 car the same as a stang. I only wish that were true, then I could buy cheap headers for a mustang and they'd fit on my cougar, and not the 800 dollar one off kooks.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
Since a guy wants to pop a 350 in one.

With mod motors everything is twice as expensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the responses! This was more of curiosity than a serious plan. I just hate to see the old engine sitting there. It was completely torn down and rebuilt with roller everything about 20k ago Being able to breathe really helped the dinosaur on fuel economy. It got about 18-20mpg. Most likely plan is fix the 3.8bird sell it and search for another one with a v8

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it truly worth the goose chase finding a factory 5.0 bird or would it better to get a newer one as a base car? Either way I want to focus on the handling of the car before any power modifications. Flipping over was not nearly worth the pain of seeing a vehicle destroyed.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
There are quite a few 5.0 cars out there, but the 4.6 cars are far more prevalent. Either powerplant can be built up to similar power levels for similar costs, so really I think it comes down to which style interior you like better, however if handling is going to be your focus, why not look for an SC? They got stiffer springs, shocks, and sway bars from the factory, so you would have a bit of a jump start on making the car handle, plus more power in stock form, and they were available with a 5-speed from the factory.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
That depends on what your goal is for the car. The 5.0 and the 4.6 are totally different. The 5.0 cars also have some MN12 5.0 specific stuff that is getting pretty hard to find. As for handling, there are a few options for suspension. This Cougar I just finished handles very nice. You can find a cheap Chevy roller (S-10/Blazer/Camaro/etc) fairly easy for the engine you have, or sell it.

On Mike's note ^^, the M5R2 will bolt to the 5.0. All the suspension stuff is a direct swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts