TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks..gonna be making a trip to Chicago in January. Daughter is graduating boot cam at the Naval training center. How bad is the traffic around there? Any suggestions on areas to avoid? Places to eat?
JL

·
Super Moderator
11,920 Posts
Traffic is horrible, tolls everywhere ... construction too ...

Areas to avoid ... ? Stay away from the lake and everything within about a hundred miles of it... :D

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Traffic is horrible, tolls everywhere ... construction too ...

Areas to avoid ... ? Stay away from the lake and everything within about a hundred miles of it... :D
Well, I don't HAVE to go into Chicago. The training center is in "North Chicago". I'm debating on staying away from Chicago and taking I-39 up to Rockford and cutting across on US 20 then Route 176 to the North Chicago area which should put us right where we need to be.
JL

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Well, I don't HAVE to go into Chicago. The training center is in "North Chicago". I'm debating on staying away from Chicago and taking I-39 up to Rockford and cutting across on US 20 then Route 176 to the North Chicago area which should put us right where we need to be.
JL
I saw pictures of shot up houses by gangs in North Chicago, its a rough place. Rolling through Rockford isnt a bad idea at all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just a suggestion but I would plan an alternate route in case of bad weather, and pack for an emergency that time of year.

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a suggestion but I would plan an alternate route in case of bad weather, and pack for an emergency that time of year.
Yep, already planning that.
JL

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Jesus you guys make it sound like they put Compton in the middle of the artic circle and called it Chicago. Those of you that have never been here you haven't a clue so pipe down.

Johnny, when are you coming up here.

First off I'll say don't take 39 just use i55. If it's not between 6-8a or 4-6p it's fine. 20 is stoplight every 1/8-1/4 mile sometimes 2 or three within a single block.
Second there is only like 4 roads here that have tolls. Plenty of routes to use to stay off of them.
The naval academy is up on the north side I'm not that familiar with that specific area.

I'll add to this as I think of stuff, also when I can get on a computer and not the phone.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Ok folks..gonna be making a trip to Chicago in January........ How bad is the traffic around there?
You may want to invest in a nice sturdy pushbar bumper. Chicago drivers just pull out and merge into bumper-to-bumper traffic with no regard to whether you're in that driving space or not.
Rockford is a good plan, and since you'd just be skirting around it anyway, Rockford is easy to drive. Not too hectic at all.

Jesus you guys make it sound like they put Compton in the middle of the arctic circle and called it Chicago.
:uppoint:Don't think someone from Texas need worry about gangs in Chicago, just the cold. lol

HERE is some info on the increasing rates at the tollbooths in Illinois.
Keep a cupholder or something supplied with change if you don't have an I-Pass.
Also in case this is your first trip up here during winter, y'all mind the northern weather. It can get bitterly cold with a lot of snow blowing around. Plan safe, and drive safe. Always keep some warm blankets stashed in the vehicle..better to have and not need than to need and not have.

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may want to invest in a nice sturdy pushbar bumper. Chicago drivers just pull out and merge into bumper-to-bumper traffic with no regard to whether you're in that driving space or not.
Rockford is a good plan, and since you'd just be skirting around it anyway, Rockford is easy to drive. Not too hectic at all.

HERE is some info on the increasing rates at the tollbooths in Illinois.
Keep a cupholder or something supplied with change if you don't have an I-Pass.
Also in case this is your first trip up here during winter, y'all mind the northern weather. It can get bitterly cold with a lot of snow blowing around. Plan safe, and drive safe. Always keep some warm blankets stashed in the vehicle..better to have and not need than to need and not have.
I plan on having a couple of rolls of quarters handy..just incase. Also quite accustomed to driving in snowy, crappy conditions because we make regular trips to Colorado to ski. Also have plans on packing stuff for "oh ****" situations.
JL

·
3,868 Posts
Jesus you guys make it sound like they put Compton in the middle of the artic circle and called it Chicago. Those of you that have never been here you haven't a clue so pipe down.

First off I'll say don't take 39 just use i55. If it's not between 6-8a or 4-6p it's fine. 20 is stoplight every 1/8-1/4 mile sometimes 2 or three within a single block.
Second there is only like 4 roads here that have tolls. Plenty of routes to use to stay off of them.
The naval academy is up on the north side I'm not that familiar with that specific area.

I'll add to this as I think of stuff, also when I can get on a computer and not the phone.
No the arctic compton is actually Waukegan and Ive been there. Or North Riverside take your pick been there too. I lived in Gurnee and you know when you crossed into Waukegan when you hear gun shots LOL. It was the locals who made all the jokes about ducking under the waukegan gun fire when I lived there. I couldnt help but agree when I saw the place. I almost want to see if it still looks the same.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

I've been to Chicago twice, both working jobs. The first time we painted the outside of a store the first night, second night we painted inside and three young black men standing in the empty lot next door were gunned down in a drive-by (we were just painting there night before and I am sure easier to see at night - I'm white!).

Second time was a little less eventful - thank God! Course second time was Chicago Heights - not south side inner city like the first time.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I still have my concealed weapon permit for my working in Philly at nighttime .Just about had to pull a" Denny Crane" on a mugger one time :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I still have my concealed weapon permit for my working in Philly at nighttime .Just about had to pull a" Denny Crane" on a mugger one time :D
There were four of us on the job, three of us had pistols. Of course, they didn't do must good since they were in the truck while we were working!

·
3,868 Posts
A big city has gangs, shootings and bad patches? Say it isn't so!

Did you have to repaint the outside after the drive by? :zwall:
Dude you gotta admit Chitownland has its own special flavor of violence. Everywhere I go chitown gets props for being a tough place and city. Well phoenix has really bad places too almost mexicolike. Most of the violence is personal attacks here but we do pretty good with murders and the once in a while cop killing. All those dangerous things aside I still say Chicago is more intense than here. I think its all the bad attitude that people like to share.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Dude you gotta admit Chitownland has its own special flavor of violence. Everywhere I go chitown gets props for being a tough place and city. Well phoenix has really bad places too almost mexicolike. Most of the violence is personal attacks here but we do pretty good with murders and the once in a while cop killing. All those dangerous things aside I still say Chicago is more intense than here. I think its all the bad attitude that people like to share.
I lived out in Phoenix for a year when I worked for Honeywell IAC up on Black Canyon. Didn't find it THAT bad, but then I didn't go around the bad areas. :zdunno:

Worked off the freeway and lived up by all the car dealerships!

·
3,868 Posts
I lived out in Phoenix for a year when I worked for Honeywell IAC up on Black Canyon. Didn't find it THAT bad, but then I didn't go around the bad areas. :zdunno:

Worked off the freeway and lived up by all the car dealerships!
Thats why LOL. Its not bad thats what Im saying Chitown would beat the living crap outta Phoenix and steal its lunch money, then steals its parents car. I knwo its a bit of anthropomorphism learn to laugh with this hehe.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wow, its sad to hear so many bad stories of Chicago, its Gary Indiana you guys want to stay away from, rockford has its bad parts too, I knew a guy that go his thraot slashed out that way, JL if you just keep to yourself and don't start any trouble you should be good. I wouldn't be worried too much about gang hangers either, its the godamn cops you gotta watch for, they're shady and looking to hit you with whatever they can to make quota. Either way you shouldn't have to see any of that bull**** anyway since you'll be up on the northside

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
Werd, I'd rather be in the worse part of Chicago for a day than spend 1 second in Gary! In fact I'd could possibly say the same for two other cities I've been to on the lake.

Maybe we're just desensitized lol

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
You know, almost everyone here has (and carries) a gun, and we really don't have that many problems at all.

:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts