TCCoA Forums banner

What should I get

• Apten Chip, 02 GT MAF

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • KYB Shocks, Suspension Technique Springs

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Clear Corners, V8 Badges, Dash Kit, ect.......

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I do? I don't have enougth money for both.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Do you want it to run better, or do you want it to look like it runs better????

I know what I'd do...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wake that sled up! get the chip & maf. :cbones:

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Is your suspension toast? If so, you would be better served to get the springs & shocks. When I first got the chip, it was nice, but not like you're putting down another 50hp. If your suspension is wasted, you'll be happy with the s & s every time you take a corner or curve. When I started 5 years ago, I took a scientific (yeah, right) approach to strengthen the chassis and suspension first before adding power. The MAN agrees - he's posted here saying as much. Chassis first, then power.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Embalmer said:
Chassis first, then power.
I totally agree. I put new shocks, sway bar, poly bushings front a rear before I added any serious power, and now that I am adding more I am beefing up the springs and going to bigger bars.

However it was the Chip and MAF combination I did early on with nothing more that pulleys and exhaust that made the car responsive and fun to drive, even though cornering was a bit sloppy. A chip and MAF doesn't as much add power as it makes what your engine and trans already have work better. My shocks were shot, but I really didn't know it, 'cause the car still felt pretty good to drive...

By all means if your suspension is shot... if it shimmies and sways and corners like crap, take care of it first... It's the safe thing to do.... and it will give you a better feeling about the car when you drive it...

But if you're ok with the way it handles now, and if you'd like the car to do something when you come around a corner and step on the gas, go for the MAF and chip..

I just checked the results of the poll and most are recommending clear corners, guages, etc. That's Bling Bling... or "wood" as they call it here. I've got a bit of that too, but that was and is my last priority....

It really depends on what you are looking for, improved: handling, looks or engine/drivetrain performance...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to go withe the sprigs/shocks. besied I really want to make my car better all around, I want to do a brake uprgrade, Sway Bars, the Chip/Maf, TC, Gears, heads, cams. But for now the susoension is really what I want.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
96 GoldBird said:

I just checked the results of the poll and most are recommending clear corners, guages, etc. That's Bling Bling... or "wood" as they call it here. I've got a bit of that too, but that was and is my last priority....

I am guessing that SW modified the poll a bit, as is his practice occasionally. :)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
soop said:

I am guessing that SW modified the poll a bit, as is his practice occasionally. :)
Close. :ztoohot:

Polls are pointless. Do what you want, and if you don't know what you want, you need to do some reading (use the search function)

P.S. I've now made it correct.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Your "Sport" already has a good suspension. Why F%^& with it now? Do the Chip and MAF until your present suspension goes soft. Now if you had the standard suspension, I probably would've voted the other way.

96GB has a good point about doing suspension first, but on my Wife limited budget I went with power first. I also have sport option and love the way it rides as is.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
17Mark71 said:
Your "Sport" already has a good suspension. Why F%^& with it now? Do the Chip and MAF until your present suspension goes soft. Now if you had the standard suspension, I probably would've voted the other way.

96GB has a good point about doing suspension first, but on my Wife limited budget I went with power first. I also have sport option and love the way it rides as is.
I looked in his signature and didn't see anything about the sport option. If I was driving around on a stock LX suspension, the first thing I would do is get rid of the marshmallows I was riding on. The sport option IS indeed better. If you add some better bushings, chassis braces, etc - it gets better.

Adding a chip and new MAF is really a teaser. There's not much SOTP power increase, but the tranny part of the chip really shines.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
97Tibirdman said:
I decided to go withe the sprigs/shocks. besied I really want to make my car better all around, I want to do a brake uprgrade, Sway Bars, the Chip/Maf, TC, Gears, heads, cams. But for now the susoension is really what I want.
It seems he's made up his mind, and it's the right choice for him. Springs and shocks and bars and poly bushings made my car a lot of fun to drive..... even more fun when I could downshift into a high speed turn, jam the gas and bring the a$$ end around with power... :zdevil:

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Well I see you've all made points but let's face the facts:

KYB shocks (for our cars) = Garbage
Suspension Tech Springs = $100 lowering springs, probably not better than Sport springs

I wouldn't even consider trading my Sport shocks and springs for a KYB/Suspension Tech combo, much less pay MONEY to do such a thing. Just isn't going to be much better (if any) than the OEM. Let's also remember I could have gotten KYB/Susp. Tech. for probably less money than my Sport setup.

Now I added power (a nominal amount :eek:) before the Sport shocks and springs, but it still isn't going to handle all that great until I can get poly bushings, Addco sway bars, subframe connectors, KB/JL braces, 17x9's, Konis. Suspension, like adding hp isn't something most can afford to do all in one shot.

A chip and a MAF are two pretty damn good mods, and they will drop E/T and add power, and make the car much better to drive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Now if you have a worn out suspension like my cougar, you get excellent weight transfer, worth every penny. :D

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
BlackCat94 said:
Well I see you've all made points but let's face the facts:

Now I added power (a nominal amount :eek:) before the Sport shocks and springs, but it still isn't going to handle all that great until I can get poly bushings, Addco sway bars, subframe connectors, KB/JL braces, 17x9's, Konis. Suspension, like adding hp isn't something most can afford to do all in one shot.

A chip and a MAF are two pretty damn good mods, and they will drop E/T and add power, and make the car much better to drive.
I'd forgotten about the rear sway bar that makes our true sport optioned cars handle that much better! You need one to fully appreciate the setup! This talking about suspension makes me want to break out the Bird from it's cocoon in my garage...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts