TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom is coming for a visit in a month or so and she wants me to keep "tinkering" on you 96 Grand Marquis. It is in top notch shape and has had a J-Mod done along with true duals. Other than that it is bone a stock configuration.

Her main concern is fuel economy, then drivability and reliability. While she loves performance, she really can’t afford it and needs the best fuel economy.

She’s already getting 26 to 27 mpg highway and 23’ish city, with the factory 2.73 gears.

I know she would like the way the car drives with a chip, but I don’t know if there’s any more mpg that can be nursed out of it while still running regular. If I do my math right, she would have to see about a 3 mpg gain with premium to justify using premium with its better timing curve. I don’t think it will see that with the 2.73’s.

So has anyone installed a chip on a land yacht with 2.73’s and still run regular? Did you see a mpg improvement?

And lastly, her 96 has a mechanical fan (with clutch). Would there be much of an improvement by installing a Mark VIII electric fan?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I just don’t have that much experience with trying to nurse fuel economy from such a large car. :thumbsup:

·
5,650 Posts
You won't want to install a Mark VIII fan unless you use some kind of controller that can slowly ramp it up. The startup demand is just too high if powered directly. An electric fan will definitely free up a little power, but will it translate to significantly more MPG? Probably not. Also, the factory timing table is extremely conservative. Tweaking that and the EGR settings will likely yield measurable results.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and yeah, I should have mentioned it would include a controller. :thumbsup:

Anyone else?? :2huh:

·
Super Moderator
7,516 Posts
I don't know how much there is to be gained on mileage with a tune without going to premium, but as for the fan, I doubt you would see any highway mileage improvement. Between the airflow already coming over the rad and the fact that at a steady speed, the engine rpms stay steady, and so the fan only needs to be held at a steady rpm, so on the highway it doesn't take much power at all to keep it moving. I think your best bet would be to go with the tune, and have them tweak the timing, EGR, and torque converter lockup, and between those things you could probably gain 1-2mpg both on the highway and around town. Of course, if you look at it from a purely economical view, you would probably be better off to save the $300+ you would spend on the tune and instead spend it on more gas. If you gained 1mpg, which is probably about what you would get, then at $3/gallon, it would take you about 60K miles before you made your $300 back. If you got 2mpg gain, it would still take 30K miles before you made your money back. On a new car, that makes sense, but on a 96 Grand Marquis, are you even sure you are still going to have the car in 60K miles, or that it will still be running?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how much there is to be gained on mileage with a tune without going to premium, but as for the fan, I doubt you would see any highway mileage improvement. Between the airflow already coming over the rad and the fact that at a steady speed, the engine rpms stay steady, and so the fan only needs to be held at a steady rpm, so on the highway it doesn't take much power at all to keep it moving. I think your best bet would be to go with the tune, and have them tweak the timing, EGR, and torque converter lockup, and between those things you could probably gain 1-2mpg both on the highway and around town. Of course, if you look at it from a purely economical view, you would probably be better off to save the $300+ you would spend on the tune and instead spend it on more gas. If you gained 1mpg, which is probably about what you would get, then at $3/gallon, it would take you about 60K miles before you made your $300 back. If you got 2mpg gain, it would still take 30K miles before you made your money back. On a new car, that makes sense, but on a 96 Grand Marquis, are you even sure you are still going to have the car in 60K miles, or that it will still be running?
That is sort of what I was thinking. Without the premium that gains just aren't there to justify the chip. When I had my 95 Cougar, I installed 2.73’s and did a test for Lonnie. He sent me a flip chip with three different programs. All of them had the same mpg. But that was a 95, I know the 96+’s like the tunes better.

As for the car, I'll probably inherit it years from now (hopefully MANY YEARS from now). She absolutely loves it and really doesn't want to get rid of it. It is in immaculate condition with 130K miles on it. And we all know these cars can go 300K miles if take car of. :D

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts