TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There any chips for a 93SC i see alot of chips for 94-97s is it the same thing or no???

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
SCedTBird said:
There any chips for a 93SC i see alot of chips for 94-97s is it the same thing or no???
No it's not the same thing. You have an EEC-IV, and 94-97 V8's have an EEC-V.

Dennis Reinhart at http://www.reinhartautomotive.com will be able to answer what would be the best chip for your car. His number is on the page, so if you want to give him a call I'm sure he'd be more than happy to answer your questions.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The best thing about a Dennis chip that that it's custom tailored to your specific car. If you've got any mods done to it, tell him when you talk to him on the phone and he'll adjust the program accordingly.

If you want more info on your car, you might check the boards over at www.sccoa.com as its basically an SC only club.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can you get a chip reburned? If so, how much does it cost?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Widowmaker2k said:
Can you get a chip reburned? If so, how much does it cost?
Yes.

If it's a red diablo chip it can only be reburned by diablo software. If it's some other chip and the person you got it from no-longer does chips then you will have to call Dennis and see what he would charge you to reburn it. The rate will more than likely be higher than if you go back to the same person you got it from though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I was considering purchasing a Dennis chip. Right now I'm running the same one that came with the car from the factory.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Widowmaker2k said:
Well, I was considering purchasing a Dennis chip. Right now I'm running the same one that came with the car from the factory.
The cars don't come with chips. The aftermarket chip plugs into the EEC-V and over-rides the stock settings stored in the EEC-V.

You would need an entire chip or send him your EEC and be without the car for that time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So wait, I can't just order a chip for my car (100% stock) and install it myself? I have to send him my EEC? I'm a little confused.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Widowmaker2k said:
So wait, I can't just order a chip for my car (100% stock) and install it myself? I have to send him my EEC? I'm a little confused.
Yes you can just order the chip. I said either a chip or send him the EEC since you were talking about reflashing. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Widowmaker2k
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you said the same one from the factory it sounded like you were talking about a chip from the factory. There is no chip and the info is on the computer. The chip gets added to the computer. So you can keep the computer (EEC) where it is and just get a chip to go onto the computer.

Dennis can help you with that. (I mean getting a chip, not everything else in life).

-Shawn

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
SCedTBird said:
I disagree with a Dennis chip. I suggest you buy a Tuner from mn12performance.com they are on sale, and are the same price as a chip right now. Rich is a great guy to deal with. If your nervous about it, talk to Rich, or people on www.sccoa.com (Dr. Fred is one).

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Re: Re: Chips

GreenBird said:

I disagree with a Dennis chip. I suggest you buy a Tuner from mn12performance.com they are on sale, and are the same price as a chip right now. Rich is a great guy to deal with. If your nervous about it, talk to Rich, or people on www.sccoa.com (Dr. Fred is one).
The only reason I'd not recommend getting the tuner as opposed to getting a chip is simple. I was guessing that he's fairly new to the electronic tuning aspects of his SC and by using a tuner and not fully understanding it, he can blow his motor up REAL quick, especially since it's got boost, and a fairly good amount of it too...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Chips

AverageJoe said:

The only reason I'd not recommend getting the tuner as opposed to getting a chip is simple. I was guessing that he's fairly new to the electronic tuning aspects of his SC and by using a tuner and not fully understanding it, he can blow his motor up REAL quick, especially since it's got boost, and a fairly good amount of it too...
Thats why I suggested he talk to Dr. Fred or Rich. Overall it's a much beter deal than a chip, as long as he is careful.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Would you reccomend a tuner for a V8 bird? What exactly does a tuner do?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The tuner is simply a chip that you can reprogram all you want and do it from your home computer. Go to www.mn12performance.com and check it out if you'er interested. If you want to see what the inside of a chip looks like, you can download the programming software called SC Tuner and tinker with it. Thats what did, and I decided that for now, I'll just get a chip from Dennis. :)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Widowmaker2k: Would you reccomend a tuner for a V8 bird? What exactly does a tuner do?
I personaly wouldn't. If you want to try it out and learn all about it then sure. For the SCs there are a couple guys that are helping tunner people out and showing them about the prgrams and stuff you can do. I think you can buy prgrams from someone and just load them up, but I'm not sure if thats the deal there or what. With the V8s although others have tunners you are pretty much all on your own on what to change for settings and stuff. If you know a lot about cars and computers then it coule be good. If you are just a average car modder it might be more then you want.

Thats my opinion,
-Shawn

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Shawn40th said:

I personaly wouldn't. If you want to try it out and learn all about it then sure. For the SCs there are a couple guys that are helping tunner people out and showing them about the prgrams and stuff you can do. I think you can buy prgrams from someone and just load them up, but I'm not sure if thats the deal there or what. With the V8s although others have tunners you are pretty much all on your own on what to change for settings and stuff. If you know a lot about cars and computers then it coule be good. If you are just a average car modder it might be more then you want.

Thats my opinion,
-Shawn
Hence, my last past. ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but, I think with the tuner, you can't re-program for a larger MAF. You can only do shift points, timing, compression, shift "stiffness", bump up the speed limiter (not completely take it off), and re-calibrate speedometer for larger rim/tire size. With the chip transfer functions for larger MAF's is included, and the speed limiter is completely deleted.

Am I right?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
You're thinking of the Hypertech Power Programmer III. the tuner we're alking about is a true reprogrammable chip. You can do whatever you please it it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts