TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 Mercury Cougar LS.

Getting the car painted in August. I've got the Razzi ground effects good to go.

I will be removing the side and door chrome trimmed bump guard thingy's and replacing with a black trim of the same width, just not as deep hopefully. So that solves the chrome problem there.

Can the chrome be removed from the bumpers? Or is it actually part of the molding? Can it be filled with something to smooth it out? (Worried about bending and cracking of bondo like material there). Can the chrome simply be painted over(easiest)? Plastic welding? Whats that?

Related to that, what about the chrome around the drivers and passengers doors?

Keep in mind these are chrome films I think, not metal. Could I heat up the suckers and remove em, and then paint em?

Any help appreciated...

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
they are held in with double sided tape and a clip every 12"-18" or so. When I removed mine befiore paint the chrome foil wrinkled, I don't really know how you could remove them and not wrinkle them. I bought new ones from the dealer. i think think they were somewhere in the $60's each.

that recess is pretty deep, i am guessing it was about 3/8" deep, it would be hard to fill. I am not sure about filling over the strip. i like them them.

when you get them make sure they aren't wrinkled right out of the bag.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts