TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 96 cougar has pitting on the chrome impact strips.
These are the ones that are on the lower body side cladding on the 96-97 cougars.

Is that the correct term?
If it is, has anyone replaced these parts.

Also, are 94-97 Thunderbird hoods the same as 96-97 Cougar hoods,
less the Cougar grill.
To me they look the same in the junk yard.

Thanks for your support,
Rick:D

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
The hood is the same, except there are no holes in the tbird hood for the grille piece. The front bumper cover is different at the grille area. I can't help on the chrome strips on the bumper as I have never had them apart, but I would imagine they would have to be separate pieces.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
For the hoods, a 96-97 hood from a bird would swap to a cougar (with noted issues about the grill ^^). A 94-95 hood will swap and work fine, but the front where it meets the headlights is shaped different. This can be seen on any 94-95 that has done the 96-97 headlight swap and kept the hood.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,330 Posts
The mouldings are generic urethane strips with chrome foil wrapped around them, on the back an integrated rail running lengthwise in the center is used to retain it to the bumper covers/plastic side cladding, and the rough square ends simply tuck under slots where the rounded ends are visible. I imagine there's a source for this in a gigantic coil from somewhere, it's certainly not a application specific part.

For the hoods, a 96-97 hood from a bird would swap to a cougar (with noted issues about the grill ^^). A 94-95 hood will swap and work fine, but the front where it meets the headlights is shaped different. This can be seen on any 94-95 that has done the 96-97 headlight swap and kept the hood.
The 94/5 Tbird hood also has a point to it at the center whereas the 96/7 hoods are flat, so they won't match the smoothness of the bumper cover. It's less noticeable on 94/5s with 96/7 hoods since the grille area is so small and can easily be smoothed flat before a repaint.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The chrome impact strips on the side wear out fast. We got Brenda's old Cougar when it was only 7 yrs old, and they were already shot. I think moisture gets in there and they get wavy.

Super long shot, but ask Jason (FordPartsCounter) on here.

Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts