TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, are these wheels just chrome or do they also have a clearcoat on them?

I assumed the latter, and used Mequiar's cleaner wax on them. Worked okay, but there are still stubborn brake dust spots.

Before I resort to a metal type polish or Brillo pad, I wanted to check what other people have used on them?

Thanks,
Al

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
I have a set of chrome Mark8 spirals, and I use Mother's metal polish and a foam-drill-insert-thing in my cordless. :)

You do not want to use a brillo pad, or anything that will scratch it.

The chrome is easy to remove by accident, and they will look terrible if you clear coat it. :grin2:

When I have wheels loose and unmounted, I usually clearcoat the interior tire sealing surface to prevent pinhole leaks, after cleaning up any scars in the bead area from old mounting efforts.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
A very fine steel wool may also help without scratching the chrome.

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will probably go with a Mother's cleaner & polish for chrome. I did notice some minor checking that made me think they had some kind of clear coat on them. But 95% of the wheel is in great shape.

Not that I am not going to test these, but on old Cragar S/S chromed steel wheels, we used to use Brillo pads to remove the rust stains all the time. It is surprising how kind brillo pads are to shiny surfaces, must be the soap.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I will probably go with a Mother's cleaner & polish for chrome. I did notice some minor checking that made me think they had some kind of clear coat on them. But 95% of the wheel is in great shape.

Not that I am not going to test these, but on old Cragar S/S chromed steel wheels, we used to use Brillo pads to remove the rust stains all the time. It is surprising how kind brillo pads are to shiny surfaces, must be the soap.

Thanks,
Al
The Cragar SS wheels used an actual layer of chrome, where the current stuff is a very, very thin "skin".

·
̇
3,701 Posts

Nevr-Dull is my go-to for everything chrome..

It's also safe and non-abrasive so it doesn't scratch the surface you're cleaning/polishing..

Nevr-Dull

Rayo..

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Any time you buff or polish anything, the surface is removed.

Ive never polished a wheel.

When I worked as an auto detailer, we would spray heavy duty degreaser on the chrome wheels, and then spray acid on them. When they were rinsed off with water they looked brand new. Didnt even have to touch them.

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
What acid? Or should i ask which acid? Choose the wrong one or the wrong concentration and you'll be looking at the raw rim casting or worse.

So, which acid and what concentration?

·
Super Moderator
17,157 Posts
I've used diluted Muriatic acid (which itself is dilluted Hydrochloric acid) to restore tarnished chrome before, only really on small pieces though. Keep in mind chrome is applied in 3 layers of plating - Copper- Nickel - Chrome, Acid will rapidly strip the chrome layer off and leave the nickel underneath(I've actually done this on purpose with guitar parts before), if that happens with a wheel you're SOL, nickel will look equally as reflective as chrome but it tarnishes very easily.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
What acid? Or should i ask which acid? Choose the wrong one or the wrong concentration and you'll be looking at the raw rim casting or worse.

So, which acid and what concentration?
I cant remember, this was during the Dot com boom when people here were spending $400 on a wax/polish that took 2 hours to finish so it was a shortcut on the job.

But yeah it was Hydrochloric, 50% diluted I believe.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And this is exactly why I don't use "spray on and hose off" wheel cleaners. Sure it may clean it, but at what cost?

Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts