TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have the plentum,thermostat housing and maybe the valve covers chrome plated. I know its going to be pricey, but here is the question. When they chrome the plentum and the other parts will they plug the holes so they don't plate the inside. I know they dip for this process in different tanks. I don't want to worry about plating flaking off and ending up in the engine. anyone know?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
If you're talking about the upper intake, why not just polish it? It's aluminum.

As far as chroming goes, I have no idea. I try to stay away from the stuff.

-Rod

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, the portion that has the 3.8 on it. thats aluminum? Wow looks like a lot of work to get it as shiny as i would want without the proper tools. thanks

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
BAGGED89 said:
yeah, the portion that has the 3.8 on it. thats aluminum? Wow looks like a lot of work to get it as shiny as i would want without the proper tools. thanks
If you're talking about what I'm thinking, you could alwasy try sand or bead blasting the part before you do the work. Try talking to big mike, I think he's done work on his upper

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
plastic? if they are similar to my 92's valve covers they are aluminum or magnesium covers with a special coating. IIRC.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i got a 94, and when i went to paint them it was a hard plastic type material. maybe im wrong and it has a really thick coating of some sort, but when i stripped them it was plastic.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
The Stevinator said:
i got a 94, and when i went to paint them it was a hard plastic type material. maybe im wrong and it has a really thick coating of some sort, but when i stripped them it was plastic.
got pics?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
odd... all 3 sets I have seen and sandblasted are metal. They look and feel plastic, but they are infact metal.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
The Stevinator said:
the valve covers you can't. they're plastic. buy some valve cover from jegs
I have yet to run across a set of plastic 3.8L valvecovers. And I've been through a lot of them, from 89 all the way to 2000 model 3.8L engines, NA's, SC's, and splitports.

-Rod

·
Registered
187 Posts
Why not powder coat them? If they are metal and there are no rubber/plastic bushings then powder coating will work/look great. And you don't have to worry about the insides.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
the valvecovers are magnesium/aluminum alloy. they'll polish, but they'll never keep a shine.

powdercoating is the way to go. And in fact, you can even do chrome powdercoating, it'll be much more durable, you can tape off whatever you dont want powdercoated, and it'll also be more durable than chroming would be.

-Thomas

·
Registered
187 Posts
The latest in powder coating is high temp powders. I think you could even powder coat an exhaust manifold but I'm not sure.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
perch said:
The latest in powder coating is high temp powders. I think you could even powder coat an exhaust manifold but I'm not sure.
they do, and its much cheaper than ceramic coating, though Im not sure it'll retain heat like ceramic coating. But they only make the high temp stuff in flat colors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts