TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know some of you have converted your 6x8 holes to hold 61/2 inch speakers. now what i was really wondering is if there really is as much of an increase in sound. i know a round speaker has less stress points compared to a oval speakers and whatnot. right now i'm deciding between buying the kappa perfect 6.1 components or the kappa 6x8 components. obviously the perfects will be a better speaker but is it really worth it to convert?? just seeing if everyone whose done the conversion is really happy with it or if there are anymore benefits. thanks for any feedback.

-z

·
Registered
573 Posts
IMO, round speakers are cleaner and much more accurate than oval speakers. I have a set of 6.5" ARC Audio components up front, which replaced a set of 5x7 Polks which replaced a set of Boston Acoustics. The Polks were in for all of 2 weeks- I couldn't stand how bad they sounded. The BA's were in for about 4yrs, mainly because of budget restrictions... ;) If you get a good set of round components, you won't be dissapointed.

Oh- instead of a plastic adapter, try using 3/4" MDF. The ridgigity will also improve the audio quality.

Peter M.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i was thinking mdf would be best bet. now i will probably mount the front tweeter in the apillar but where to mount to rear tweeter? or is it even necessary to get components for the back and the front?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the components up front, and a pair of 8" subs in a sealed box in the rear deck. To me, the rear panel speakers mess up the stereo imaging too much.
As to the tweeters... old thread resurrection.

Peter M.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so negatory on rear components ehh. i flush mounted the kappa perfect components in my buddies apillar in his camry. but he had the rear 6x9's in the deck so he stuck with is 3 way kappas. i know where i wanan mount the front tweeter just couldnt think of the use for a rear side panel component set. not like i can fit manny ppl in the back so not concerned about passengers sound quality. lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
Maybe a nice set of 6-8" mid-bass drivers?

Peter M.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I have 8" midbass in my rear side panels. They don't sound that great by themselves because of the limited upper frequency response and off-axis listening position, but when you fade them in with the 6.5" component set up front, they really sweeten up the whole sound. They bring in an octave or so below the fronts and add just enough rear fill to nicely fill the cabin. Now I just gotta do something about the sub-bass. :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm i havent thought about using 8' midbass back there. i get plenty of bass from the 2 kappa perfect dvq's but the highs were my main concern. even with subs would u say that i should try the midbass 8' woofers anyways?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts